Demo Day Woes. A message to all Companies special attention to Callaway and Cobra

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
the other day my buddy and I were at a dual demo day at the only local golf shop within 60 some miles from me. The companies involved were Callaway and Cobra. Having a Ping demo at the same location that was outstanding I came with high expectations.

I arrived and went to the Cobra Booth first which was the 1st one in the line. I was excited to try the Fly z line from irons to woods. To my dismay Cobra had nothing to measure swing speed, or distances. Not only did they not have that, they didnt have a strike board or face tape. However what Cobra lacked in supplies and tech at this demo day the rep was helpful and offered different shaft options or clubs.

I then went to the Callaway booth where there was no one except the rep and I. I had read so many positives about the apex irons and the forged on here that I was excited to try them. The rep said nothing to me as I came up to his booth. I said hi, gave him a head nod as he said nothing. I took an apex forged out of the bag and when to the box where the balls are kept. He had none. Not his fault its the ranges job to supply them, but hes in charge of telling the shop owner that hes out. I said "oh no more balls?" The rep responsed "nope were out" I said do you think Ronnie (the shop owner) can give us more? The rep shrugged his shoulders and didnt say a word. I.said "well I guess I grab some from Cobra" the rep just said "ok".

So I hit a few balls, again no trackman, face tape, or atrike board. I then proceeded to switch out irons to ones with different shafts. All while the rep said not a word. I actually fell in love with the apex forged as I fit myself into some with KBS shafts. I went over to the rep and said "wow these feel great, really lived up to the hype that ive read on my golf forums. He said "they are forged". Not thrilled with his lack of personality or helpfulness I left his booth without hitting the rest of Callaways offerings.

Now I know that Callaway skims posts, and maybe Cobra does too. I would.like them to know that if ur not going to have trackman or anything like that u must have a helpful rep to represent ur company. Ill be honest im not a huge Callaway fan, but the Apex forged spoke for itself and really intrigued me. If the rep was even a little helpful I may have left with and order of fitted Apexs. Just wanted to put that out there. Anyone else hae bad demo.day experiences?

Bummer man. Glad to hear the knee is better though.

I'm a Callaway homie, so I was really disappointed when I went to a recent demo day and the rep left me completely underwhelmed with his lack of knowledge beyond what I read in magazine ads and hear in commercials.

Anytime I've been around Callaway they have been great. Glad to hear the acl/mcl healed up so quick.

Between Saskey in WA, gr8drv in MA and McRoberts in NJ we've seen 3 recent bad Callaway demo day reports. Weird.

I feel bad for you guys but in the DC/MD/VA we don't have any of these issues. All the reps and their tech reps are very helpful and normally have an assortment of shafts and heads. Most reps have a LM, but there might be a few instances where the tech rep doesn't because it's with another rep.

That's a bummer sounds like there have been some sub par demo days out there this year

I've never been to a demo day at a course or driving range where a manufacturer has shown up with Trackman or equivalent, strike boards, etc. I certainly get the point about the rep, and I have certainly been underwhelmed by several at time.

Being the closest the average non-THP golfer will get to being with a representative of the brand, I would hate to be the company reading about a demo day experience like this though. I have no idea what goes into the relationship, training, equipping, etc.

I know it happens. I've seen my share of uncaring reps in my day. No idea what these guys get compensated with, but I wouldn't think it's a lot. For what it's worth I've been to Callaway, Nike, and TM recently at my home club and all were attentive and knowledgeable. All three had Trackman too.

Between Saskey in WA, gr8drv in MA and McRoberts in NJ we've seen 3 recent bad Callaway demo day reports. Weird.

And I was just to myself it they all had same guy...

Never been to a demo day with a track man , strike board or tape. But the rest is unacceptable

Maybe all the Callaway reps just got a pay cut :)

I've been to several demo days here, some have monitors and some don't. TMAG always has a flightscope set up, Cobra always has a Trackman, Titleist had a GC, and the others (Nike, Cally, TEE) just had a bunch of clubs to hit, fitting carts, etc. I live in the sticks, so I suppose that makes a difference. I did go to a few demo days in Norway MI where none had any sort of LM, just clubs. Some reps were great , some not so much. It's just like anything else I figure, some people are just better at their jobs than others. It doesn't change the way I see the company in general if the rep is apathetic. I'm only interested in the clubs anyway so I'll just help myself if they won't.

It's a shame the rep left you wanting.

If I head to demo day and they have gear, I am happy. I don't need a lot of fan fare or technology. Just have the latest line with options. I can take care of the rest.

As for poor service, I would reach out to Callaway CS and let them know. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken.

Anytime I've been around Callaway they have been great. Glad to hear the acl/mcl healed up so quick.

Same here. I was at two Callaway demo days already this year and both were great. Maybe it depends on the area and the rep?

The last demo day i was at, nike had some form of launch monitor. Not sure as to the other brands that were there.

~Rock

I've been to 5 or so Demo days, 1 Taylormade, 1 Callaway, and the rest Titleist.

All 3 were awesome with grass ranges and launch monitors, tons of options - stock and custom, and really helpful/knowledgeable reps to boot. The Taylormade guy was actually giving away a ton of free swag, incl. golf balls. The Titliest ones have always been unique because they let you take a wedge or putter and hit the practice green.

I can understand your frustrations though. Taking time out of your day to head to a demo day only to meet a rep with his head up his arse would irk me too.

Bummer man. Glad to hear the knee is better though.

It isnt :(. They have me getting stronger be4 surgery. I go under the knife June 18th. Thanks tho!

Same here. I was at two Callaway demo days already this year and both were great. Maybe it depends on the area and the rep?

Thats a definite. All about who u get.

We recently had a large demo day at our club here in New Orleans. Was attended by Ping, Mizuno, Nike, Titleist and Callaway. Titleist guy was terrible. Could care less about being there. And a lot of our members are die hard Titleist homers. Callaway guy was to busy giving lessons to some guy and ignored everyone else. I am a huge Callaway Homer and was hoping to buy a new driver and 3wood. There was one of each to try and no additional shaft options. Very disappointed. Ping and Mizuno had lie boards, impact tape, track man and every head and shaft they offer. And they took the time with you as if you were the only one on the range. I had no idea my irons should be 3 degrees upright. Nike brought the entire shop with them. They had three reps with three track man set ups and every product they have out. They were the only o es to bring putters to try as well.

We are going to Legoland in San Diego next year for my so s make a wish trip. I plan to spend the day at the Callaway performance center in carlsbad. I'm sure that will be a great experience since it will be one on one. I have a feeling it's going to be an expensive day!

It didn't I wish it did. Ive been in rigorous pt gor aonth now and can walk, and play golf with a brace until June 18th when I go under the knife. Then I'm out.of.golf until Octoberish

If I head to demo day and they have gear, I am happy. I don't need a lot of fan fare or technology. Just have the latest line with options. I can take care of the rest.

As for poor service, I would reach out to Callaway CS and let them know. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken.

I thought about it. But I thought maybe the guy haf a bad day or something, u never know what other ppl are going through. And I didn't want him to get in trouble ya know?

Contact Callaway customer service and let them know. I can promise you the last thing any company wants is bad reports like this going out by word or social media.

I've been to some demo days, and I've never seen a launch monitor. I've also never seen a lie board or impact tape. I had a ping rep adjust a lie angle on a demo iron to straighten out flight, and the same rep swapped some shafts out to try to get driver dialed in. if you hit your current driver side-by-side, I would think you can get most of the info you need. other than the personality issue, it just sounds like maybe you could manage your expectations next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back