Does Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Shred Golf Balls?

I can honestly say no. Not with any normal ball and not like the jaws wedge did. They chew up a ball just like any modern wedge would in that situation on a clean shot. Do not let it deter you from consideration.

I haven't noticed any shredding of covers, yet I still get enough spin on the ball. There are some marks after a particularly crisp shot, but nothing that is any more than other wedges and far from the cuts that the older groove would leave.

They do when compared to most USGA compliant groove wedges but no where near the pre groove rule wedges i have seen the same thing as posted in the link but as they age it will be reduced

No. They don't.

Thanks. I had Callaway X forged last time. It did shred the balls. That was in the pre-groove rule era.

Had them for a week now, great spin and no shredding what so ever!

have not seen it,I have a MD2 50 & 60 Use ProV1 and have never seen any damage to a ball

No shredding with Sr3, zstar xv, or Bridgestone B330 here

I have not had an issue with the B330 / S

I would say no, not on a consistent basis. But I have from time to time gotten some tread marks on the ball.

I'll echo every one else's statements, I haven't had any issues with MD2s eating up balls.

Like Tadashi, I had one, lobbing over a sand trap, catch a knick... leave some treadprints. Nothing that would really STOP me from using the ball? I didn't cut anything really though. I've had one of these wedges since the beginning.

You'd have to be one hell of an agressive wedge guy to really get into a ball with it.

I have no issues unlike the Jaws or X Tour versions with old grooves. Those were ball eaters.

No. I have been gaming them for 4 months now. I will say that early on, they are very hard to keep clean, but they don't damage balls.

Well, there always has to be one in the bunch and they did for me. Honestly, I think it was more the golf ball I was using at the time (Callaway Chrome +) and the cover was just too soft for whatever reason. After one or 2 shots with the wedges I would notice the scuff marks on the ball. I did use blacks a few times and didn't notice as much of the scuffing which leads me to believe it was the ball. They are still great wedges.

I havent noticed any shredding of balls with mine either, but I do get plenty of spin. Only issue I've had with mine....and not that big of deal really is I put my clubs away wet a few times and its rusting... gives it character. :)

This is the first I've heard of it. I actually have a few friends who had the opposite problem and they wore that neat little pattern off the face of the club after a couple of range sessions.

This is the first I've heard of it. I actually have a few friends who had the opposite problem and they wore that neat little pattern off the face of the club after a couple of range sessions.

That is supposed to happen. A wedge gets roughed up over time to get more friction of the face. Those ovals are there to help aid in that before the wedge is broken in.

I've used my MD2s a couple rounds now and no shredding of balls. I loved my old jaws, but there were quite a few times with that club that I was brushing white chunks out of the grooves. I assume that's why everyone loved the jaws, so much bite (ha see what I did there).

That is supposed to happen. A wedge gets roughed up over time to get more friction of the face. Those ovals are there to help aid in that before the wedge is broken in.

I've used my MD2s a couple rounds now and no shredding of balls. I loved my old jaws, but there were quite a few times with that club that I was brushing white chunks out of the grooves. I assume that's why everyone loved the jaws, so much bite (ha see what I did there).

Wow! I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the insight.

Not for me anymore than any other conforming wedge

No shredding for me

I played a 54 and 60 last year and never had a problem with them cutting my ProVs. After looking at the ball marks on the face of his wedges, I don't think that he is hitting them clean enough to give them a honest assessment anyways!

My 60 doesn't chew up my Chrome +.
I just got back from a Northern Indiana trip and didn't realize how much dang spin these things really put on the ball until playing on real grass but then again, my Altitude 9-PW was spinning them back to lol.

Back