Does Nike need Rory to struggle or start slow?

I think you have to define what struggles is first. No wins in the first 5 events? 10 events? 15 events? I think he can win with anything personally, I think players at his caliber, most pga tour players can win with any current equipment. All it takes is getting used to it and getting yardages down. I imagine he has been practicing with the his new equipment with his time off and should continue where he left off last year. 2 most important things is the putter which he kept the same and getting used to the new ball.

We can agree to disagree. To me, it's about margins for your company year over year...if signing a big name increases them for you, I'd call it a success. Nike is relatively new to the market, a market that is very brand loyal with a high percentage of educated consumers. I agree with you that I don't think signing Rory is going to propel Nike to the golf equipment forefront, but I do believe it will help all facets of the golf sector at Nike.

JB does make a great point with the "signing the masses", see TaylorMade.

Getting AutoCorrected on my iPhone with Tapatalk since 2012.

I agree that signing Rory can't hurt. But I don't think it will propel Nike into the Top 3 equipment makers. Not right away at least.

The commentators won't. But the buying masses will.

The commentators state it very diplomatic, to not offend potential advertising dollars, and the buying masses wont notice anything more than the constant Nike references.

The commentators state it very diplomatic, to not offend potential advertising dollars, and the buying masses wont notice anything more than the constant Nike references.

I disagree 100%. They would look at 2013 Rory and ask what's different from 2012 Rory? The logo on his clubs, hat, and shirt. Blame that new logo.

I dot know of you are giving the masses. Too much or not enough credit.

I believe of Rory starts fast, winning well and performing nikes sales will go through the roof, so many fickle fans will want the #no1 players clubs.

I believe of Rory starts fast, winning well and performing nikes sales will go through the roof, so many fickle fans will want the #no1 players clubs.

But that has never been the case really. Nobody flocked to Mizuno when Luke was number 1.

I personally can't remember Luke going to mizuno as I wasn't into golf then, however Rory seems more marketable than Luke to me, I deffinately believe Nike will sell more if Rory starts fast.

But that has never been the case really. Nobody flocked to Mizuno when Luke was number 1.

how many of the fickle fans even knew that luke was number 1?

History says that is not really the case.

Or when Tiger was #1 for a direct relation to this very debate.

I personally can't remember Luke going to mizuno as I wasn't into golf then, however Rory seems more marketable than Luke to me, I deffinately believe Nike will sell more if Rory starts fast.

Well you never said that. What you saints that fickle fans want what the no1 player has. And Luke was no1 and nobody flocked to buy Mizuno.

Like I said I can only comment on the last 2 years. In other sports its known that when a brand signs a top player sales increase.

Like I said I can only comment on the last 2 years. In other sports its known that when a brand signs a top player sales increase.

Of course it is. That is how Nike ha done so well in other sports. But that has not been the case with golf.

I find Nike gear cheaper than other brands, it might not be but looks like it when I have browsed I don't like hitting nikes gear so I tend to bypass it.

I find Nike gear cheaper than other brands, it might not be but looks like it when I have browsed I don't like hitting nikes gear so I tend to bypass it.

It seems like every thread talking about Nike equipment tends to travel down this road.

Nike's gear is as top notch as anybody else's.

I didn't say it wasn't top notch just I didn't like the feel of it, same as some of the other brands clubs. I liked the look of VR irons but I didn't like the feel of them same as the ignites and the slingshots. I'm not knocking Nike or any other oem as everyone's different.

What does Nike gain by having one of there two big dogs playing like crap while having the swoosh in their hands. I would think that you always want to win and Nike does not like to lose.

They didn't, but he makes a darn good wine from what I hear.

VR Pro Combos are still probably the best irons I've ever hit. Just sayin'.

What does Nike gain by having one of there two big dogs playing like crap while having the swoosh in their hands. I would think that you always want to win and Nike does not like to lose.

You have the everyday consumer who says "Rory plays it so I should too", as well as a large segment of the youth who already love the brand Nike and call Rory their favorite golfer.

There is a gain regardless, but I agree w you, a larger gain comes from Rors seeing immediate success (IMO)

I doubt Nike will benefit either way. the thing they will benefit the most from is the competition between Rory & Tiger, that's going to be talked about more than their equipment for sure

I have to agree with JB on this...Nike is in a no win situation.

Back