Does Nike need Rory to struggle or start slow?

I have mentioned it before, tgtt is right.
Rory plays well out of the gate, its because he is so good he could win with anything.
Rory struggles, its because he made an equipment change.

I don't think it matters a whole lot, their target audience is not the online golfer in my opinion.

I hadn't thought about that before, but that makes a ton of sense! They don't seem to market to the online golfer.

I could offer that Nike is in a "no lose" situation. They get a lot of press stealing Rory away from Titleist and they get mega-exposure every time he plays because the cameras are on him (or Tiger) all day long.

I don't know marketing or advertising but just getting your product in front of your audience seems to be the objective.

I could offer that Nike is in a "no lose" situation. They get a lot of press stealing Rory away from Titleist and they get mega-exposure every time he plays because the cameras are on him (or Tiger) all day long.

I don't know marketing or advertising but just getting your product in front of your audience seems to be the objective.

Except Nick Faldo destroyed that idea when he said that Rory was maki a mistake.

If Rory struggles they will point to the equipment. If he does well and wins right away, they say he is #1 and should win. I think Nike does well if Rory starts hitting bombs with the Covert. Or starts rolling a Method and wins. I feel
Nike needs him to shine, right away. The more he struggles the more Nike will get barrier for hazing inferior equipment

I was thinking the same thing Jean.

Let me ask you this, if Nike is in a "no win" situation, would you sign him if you were the head of a major golf company? Or any company for that matter?

I sure as heck would. Like jean said, I think it's all about exposure. I really think Nike was smart for signing him.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to ask is, "Would you NOT sign him if you had the opportunity?" He's obviously going to be signed by someone, and I would rather my company have the #1 player in the world than another company. Even if it does mean a little talk/controversy about the equipment and if it is a factor or not.

Anybody who thinks that Nike will benefit more from Rory struggling, fell off of a turnip truck.

The commentators state it very diplomatic, to not offend potential advertising dollars, and the buying masses wont notice anything more than the constant Nike references.

The masses don't watch tour golf religiously. And, the masses shop at Academy Sports, Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy. The masses buy what is on sale.

Anybody who thinks that Nike will benefit more from Rory struggling, fell off of a turnip truck.

Does any company benefit from their stars failing?

Does any company benefit from their stars failing?

I don't think so. But the idea has brought forth in this thread that Nike might

How much more will Nike benefit if Rory struggles or starts slow?

IMO, they gain little, aside from having #1 using their clubs, if he comes out rolling. The equipment change will be talked about little if this happens. However, if he struggles it will be a hot topic until he starts rolling, which we all know he will again if he does start slow.

JB has mentioned this a couple of times that Nike is in a no win situation. But, that withstanding, which will be more beneficial, Rory coming out blazing or struggling?

You a Soothsayer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rory didn't just make a trust-fall into Nike equipment. I don't know how much testing and teasing he got from Nike ($) to make the switch, but I'd gamble lots of my own quid on that he, and his associates, thought very long and hard about leaving Titleist...and only after much proof of the potential for everyone to gain. If he has one place to go, it's off the top...not just ranking, but familiarity of how to recover. Club trust and confidence means everything in golf, right? I know it does at my level and for me it's just recreation. These guys do it in front of thousands, and millions on TV, for lots of bucks. I'd say there is a lot of planning that went into it. All that aside, you'll never know what made Rory switch, unless you're Rory. I'm sure Nike, Tiger's team of people, and Rory's team of people, saw this coming on the horizon of all the Tiger/Rory comp-talk and surprise-surprise...they're on the same team. What will the other companies do? Media drama. Surprised CNN didn't do a cover story on it.

The explanation will be in the aggregate of explanations that will undoubtedly follow...and the eyes on what happens at their next events. Nike will benefit till Rory goes on TV blasting Nike quality...which my prediction will be that it wont happen. I think he'll pick it up and start whooping tail.

End of rant.

My opinion here is if Rory can just get up and go then what is the problem now with the new sticks after he said how much he liked them? i do not think Nike benefits....I think it would hurt Nike on some aspects especially the putter game if he sticks with a scotty and the driver he did mention during the round he was pleased with and had his best results with basically saying hey it is better with the same shaft then the 913 or 910 was! I think some people will think it is equipment and maybe hold off on irons but in reality I think this is a psychological thing stepping up into the Superstar Tiger type status and pay and he is not use to it maybe and has more pressure then ever before to perform and I said it once and will say it again! Just for the money....he made this change to soon at a very good point at his career and was on a roll and it would not surprise me one bit to see him fall back in standings all year long!

It was like to me he seemed not comfortable in his own skin...like in the clothing...everything....if that makes sense? Maybe Nike was not the right fit in every aspect for him and he got greedy and the want for more money will in the long run take a toll on his game and confidence for awhile! i do not think rory is worth the mooney and will not be a Tiger or like any of the other greats but will be an overall good golfer when it's all said and done but just something about him has not have me convinced he is going to roll for a decade like he did last year!

Back