Equipment - Are You An Overthinker or Underthinker?

I am an overthinker, partially thanks to THP

Sort of in the middle. I like to tinker but I also understand that unless my swing gets better I won't be very good no matter what clubs I have.

I'm somewhere in the middle too.Equiptment is the best I can afford cuz it should perform and last but.........I know I have the ability to perform and need to bring it out (something the clubs can only partially contribute to)

I'm an under thinker. In my mind, i should be able to hit just about anything well and my thoughts are 99% are on the golf swing rather than the clubs. Unless I'm doing a testing of some sort.

^Siri probably sucks.

Thanks to THP im an overthinker now for better or worse, allthough not nearly as bad as most on here..

I would say that I generally under think my equipment. I have been using most of my clubs for years. Other than reently upgrading my driver and buying some new wedges

I like to think I sit somewhere between the two.

I tend to do alot of research on equipment when I am looking for new clubs, and almost always go and try different variations or drivers, irons hybrids or what ever it is I am looking for. If I am buying drivers or irons I have learn't that getting fitted for them produces the best results.

Under here...I don't believe most of the latest-greatest technology babble that the OEMs are feeding us each model year--which in TMag's case seems to be every six months. And I don't believe "proper fitting" is the Rosetta Stone of golf, that it will translate a myriad of swing flaws into significantly lower scoring. In short, I think that most of the reasonably current stuff is good enough. When I pull-hook that tee ball into the parking lot across the interstate, I did that, my driver is not responsible. When I skank an approach, that was me too. No amount of SGI technology is going to fix that either. Instead I've got to figure out what I did wrong and correct it, not buy another club to do he job for me.

Of course, I did move from the 909D3 to the 910D3 last year because I wanted the adjustability. And I did upgrade my irons from older GI Mizunos to the 712MBs, because I wanted a little different profile to my irons (but I didn't get fitted). And I did backweight my putter, because much of what Boccieri says on the matter makes sense to me, and backweighting has been much more prevalent thought the years on tour than is generally known. Oh yeah, and I did reshaft both my fairway and utility, because I couldn't wrap my mind around the stock setups.

But other than that....

I believe in the swing and I believe that there are things that will make what I have work better. I suppose the prevailing thought would be that I'm an overthinker, but I tend to think the swing is the biggest culprit and I spend exponentially more time on it than I do worrying about clubs.

I am totally an overthinker...and I would have to imagine that at least 90% of THPers would fall into that category...I am sure that for every one of us who dedicates so much time to this site there has to be a thousand people out there who just show up and swing and never think about it between rounds. It amazes me how many people on the courses I play have not heard anything about new clubs or balls or what advantages certain equipment allows.

I am an under thinker.

I kind of dont really care. I just want what works. The logistics of it are for other people to worry about

I'd say I fit into an overthink category that almost leads me to be underthinking it, I almost think about more options I shouldn't and less about options I should!

I just want what is good for me. At the same time, I am an overthinker prior to ordering it.

way overthink i am always thinking agout the next shaft or club

Underthinker....I go with what feels the best and what I like. But I do like to update my equipment every few years just because.

Under thinker. See it. Like it. Buy it. Play it. All worked so well, until I found this place, and started discovering that some thinking might improve the game.....but still want it all now! Hopefully learning to make sure that I get the right stuff first time!

Overthinker. Everything has to have the right specs and pretty everything. Or else I feel uncomfortable and can't game it.

However, if it has like dummy marks on it, that doesn't bother me. So I guess in that sense, I'm an underthinker.

Overthinker thanks to this forum...but not with all clubs. Mostly I tend to overthink my irons now, since I'm looking at upgrading my fairly old set. I probably underthink my driver, since I bought it off the shelf and didn't have any adjustments made, but it is adjustable so I can tweak it to how my game is and therefore overthink it at the same time. I definitely underthink my putter, but that is beginning to change with the discovery of the swing path fit system that PING's Scottsdale putters feature.

Way too much of an overthinker.

Would definitely say I am a over thinker. Just spent a year + testing irons before deciding on a new set. I ultimately want to make sure that what I buy, I am going to be comfortable with for the next 5 years or more.

Over for sure.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm an overthinker.
TBH I'm more concerned with aesthetics than anything else.
If the club doesn't look good then you're not going to be super confident.
I'm well on my way to my dream bag though.
Just need some different wedges and a 7 wood.

Overthinker. I always seem to be either tinkering with the clubs in my bag or thinking about tinkering with them. I wish that I could just be happy with what I have and just focus on my swing but I love buying and trying new clubs.

Back