Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

I hope you guys start getting these in today. I can't wait to see the un-boxing videos and pictures.

I hope you guys start getting these in today. I can't wait to see the un-boxing videos and pictures.

Agreed. I need some unboxing pics/vids soon from you guys, to get me through my own restlesness for my 2.0's to arrive. :mohawk:

I agree! I can't wait to get these clubs. I only played 9 holes after work yesterday because I was hoping the irons were here (played the best 9 of the year for me, even par). Hopefully they'll be here today so I can start testing them before I work this afternoon. Normally I go play in the morning when I work in the afternoon but I decided to stay home today to see if they arrive.

I haven't hit a ball since I was chosen to test the burner 2.0's. I just don't even want to swing my sticks now. hahaha

I've got a good feeling about today guys, keep your eyes peeled!

Guys,
I know everybody is excited and I think its great that this excitement is boiling over.
Lets try to keep the updates of "No irons today" to a minimum and discuss the clubs or just wait until they arrive.
THanks.

First iron I will be hitting is the 3I. I'm going to go Tom Watson style on these bad boys. Then I will hit the PW. I am very excited about the blades in this set

I know there are thousands of readers that are looking forward to this review thread.
I cannot wait to see how you guys fare with them long term.

First iron I will be hitting is the 3I. I'm going to go Tom Watson style on these bad boys. Then I will hit the PW. I am very excited about the blades in this set

Agreed - very excited about the blades in this set but honestly equally excited about the long irons. While I have owned a few I have never been a big fan of the hybrids so really looking forward to going after the 3,4,5 in this set. As of this moment, I can get to the range tonight and tomorrow night and maybe during the day on Friday. Tee time at 7:15 on Saturday for my first round with them. Will be out of town for the weekend (no range time) but already got that round scheduled near the lake house for Saturday morning! :bananadance:

ALright, I have to ask. How many of you are considering iron covers for these? I know some think they're silly or taboo, but these irons are so beautiful. They are also so simple on the cavity that I could see these being very prone to bag chatter.

ALright, I have to ask. How many of you are considering iron covers for these? I know some think they're silly or taboo, but these irons are so beautiful. They are also so simple on the cavity that I could see these being very prone to bag chatter.

I very much was considering them....but was somewhat talked out of them in another thread. While I know that I should not care what others think....I do.

I very much was considering them....but was somewhat talked out of them in another thread. While I know that I should not care what others think....I do.

I have never owned them either. But I think when I find the right set of covers (I'm looking for some for the RXT's), then I will get them. I just have to preserve the awesomeness of the irons. If I were receiving the Pro Combo's, I would highly be considering covers. I don't care what someone else thinks though.

Honestly TC I don't consider iron covers. My swing is so steep that the damage to the irons is usually done from hitting something during my swing. I usually wrap a towel through there anyway so the bag chatter is minimal

I walk like a panther, so my irons never touch.

Seems like we're all looking forward to the longer irons. The combination of more forgiveness and the lighter, higher launching shaft has me eager to see just how they fly. There are a few par 3s on my course that play long, and set up nicely for a long iron shot if hit correctly.

Did most of you order the 3 - PW? I don't feel like flipping backwards.

3-PW here. I probably would have gone 4-GW if they had that option but they didn't. Funny thing is that I have started to struggle with my 3H so I was thinking of ditching it anyway.

TC - you bring up a very good point about taking care of them long term and keeping them looking as good as possible. I have been paying attention to how they setup in my bag and how to minimize bag chatter. Especially when I put the new VR Pro 52 wedge in my bag last weekend and I was making a concerted effort to keep it away from my other irons. You got me thinking again buddy.

I asked that question too TC, I believe everyone is getting 3-PW

Did most of you order the 3 - PW? I don't feel like flipping backwards.

Like CL said, 3-PW was default. Only real decision we had to make was regarding the shafts.

3-PW here. I probably would have gone 4-GW if they had that option but they didn't. Funny thing is that I have started to struggle with my 3H so I was thinking of ditching it anyway.

Thanks CL! I thought that was the case but wasn't certain.

TC - you bring up a very good point about taking care of them long term and keeping them looking as good as possible. I have been paying attention to how they setup in my bag and how to minimize bag chatter. Especially when I put the new VR Pro 52 wedge in my bag last weekend and I was making a concerted effort to keep it away from my other irons. You got me thinking again buddy.

Dude, I do the same thing. I hate when my clubs cling together. I'm anal like that. I found some wicked Callaway iron head covers. There are "cool" options out there. Who knows, I just can't wait until you get them and get your hands on them, and see how beautiful they are. It's gonna be hard not to protect them.

As I think more and more, I reckon I might be taking the blade irons a bit for granted in this set too. Since I'm used to playing blades, I kind of haven't considered them as yet. Stacking them up against my current irons is going to be interesting and fun. Someone remarked to me last night that my current short irons feel 'heavy', even though they're nice. I wonder how different the Nike short irons will feel?

When I swung them the short irons felt really nice, they had a nice weighty feel to me. The whole set just oozed confidence when looking at them. Had another long look at them yesterday too

I actually am considering covers for these. I have a few sets of old buttery soft clubs that I try to keep in good shape. I even went so far as to glue a small desiccant packet in the cover on one set of old Wilson blades I have.(prevent moisture in this high humidity area I live in.)
I am both excited and nervous about the long irons in this set. As I previously mentioned I have replaced all my long irons with hybrids. My bag is going to take some gettting use to w/o those. I really do hope my skill level has not diminished so much I can't adjust. Time will tell. It could also prove to be a testament to the versatility of the "combo" aspect of this particular set of sticks.

I also have been considering iron covers for these irons. I have some already, I just don't use them. I will probably just use them during transport.

Back