Gap in wedges (not gap wedges)

dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
With today's announcement from our tour rep about being able to order wedges from Callaway for The Morgan Cup 2.0 I have spent almost 2 hours on the Callaway website http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us.html looking at wedges. I have come to a few conclusions.

1. I'm very lucky to be in The Morgan Cup 2.0. Thank you to everyone at THP and the event sponsors Callaway, Cleveland Srixon and Bridgestone.
2. The Choices are endless even just for wedges finishes, loft, lie, shafts and grips.

So with this I come to you folks for a little help. My current wedge setup is a 46` PW, 54 SW and a 60` LB. My question is 8` to much of a gap between wedges?? I have gotten used to playing a nice 3/4 shot with all of my wedge so i have my distances covered but would i be off putting a 50` wedge in the bag to help cover to gap?? If i did add a wedge i would have to remove either my 3 or 5 wood.

Kelly

I'd go with the setup you are comfortable with. There is nothing that says you need to have consistent gaps.

I'm sure most here are going to tell you that they like the 58*(instead of 60*) because if anything you can always open it up to get that extra 2* to get it to 60*
So the setup would keep the 54* and get rid of the 60*

I think it comes down to a comfort thing. Are you better/more confident in your wedge game? Or would rather have more options distance wise(your 3-5 wood and having to take it out) and vice versa.

I'm sure most here are going to tell you that they like the 58*(instead of 60*) because if anything you can always open it up to get that extra 2* to get it to 60*
So the setup would keep the 54* and get rid of the 60*

I think it comes down to a comfort thing. Are you better/more confident in your wedge game? Or would rather have more options distance wise(your 3-5 wood and having to take it out) and vice versa.

I am very confident in my wedge game when its on form. I have little if none in my current woods so i would prefer the options in my woods plus i'm hoping to spend time with my pro when i get my Morgan Cup woods. With all the guys ordering 3 wedges it kinda threw me a bit

I agree that only you will know if 8 degrees is too much of a gap. For MOST people, they go for 4-5 degree gaps on average I believe.

Do you already know what irons you are playing and what the PW loft will be? I think you need that before you can decide wedge lofts. Sure, you can get into bending and all that stuff but it should be thought about upfront.

Personally, I took the time to look at the entire bag starting with wedges into irons into hybrids and the FW/driver to make sure that gaps were appropriate throughout.

Inevitably, something you do on the hybrid end can ultimately affect your wedge lofts.

I am very confident in my wedge game when its on form. I have little if none in my current woods so i would prefer the options in my woods plus i'm hoping to spend time with my pro when i get my Morgan Cup woods. With all the guys ordering 3 wedges it kinda threw me a bit

Let me put it this way. Look at the courses(both of them and their scorecards) concerning the par 5s. Would it be more useful for you to have more options in the wedges(lay up to the par 5s) to have those woods in the bag(going for them)

Agree with the you know what works for you advice. It sounds like you are comfortable with the 3/4 shot, so why change things up? I myself do cary 3 wedges because that gap was too much for me.

I do i'm between the Razr X tours and Razr X Black irons. The RXT's PW is 45` which means he gap goes to 9` and the RXB's PW is 44` which means the gap goes to 10`. I have a full fitting in March so i'm waiting till then to decide on the best suited irons

I agree that only you will know if 8 degrees is too much of a gap. For MOST people, they go for 4-5 degree gaps on average I believe.

Do you already know what irons you are playing and what the PW loft will be? I think you need that before you can decide wedge lofts. Sure, you can get into bending and all that stuff but it should be thought about upfront.

Personally, I took the time to look at the entire bag starting with wedges into irons into hybrids and the FW/driver to make sure that gaps were appropriate throughout.

Inevitably, something you do on the hybrid end can ultimately affect your wedge lofts.

Sound advise Choosen thanks

Let me put it this way. Look at the courses(both of them and their scorecards) concerning the par 5s. Would it be more useful for you to have more options in the wedges(lay up to the par 5s) to have those woods in the bag(going for them)

You are thinking about this all wrong buddy. The PW is separate from the wedges you are ordering. So you get the 44* PW, and then go 48*, 52*, 56*, or something like that, on top of the PW.

I do i'm between the Razr X tours and Razr X Black irons. The RXT's PW is 45` which means he gap goes to 9` and the RXB's PW is 44` which means the gap goes to 10`. I have a full fitting in March so i'm waiting till then to decide on the best suited irons

Assuming you are not going to bend your wedges any stronger, I think you should be considering something like: 50, 54, 60 or 48, 54, 60. I know you like the LW and that is a club you use, you should work the gaps to keep it in there.

I think a 9 or 10 degree gap is VERY big. Do you have room to order 3 wedges? What does your bag look like? D, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW and then wedges?

My bad i should have said this in the original post. My bag for TMC is looking like this

Driver - Razr Fit
Woods - 3 & 5 Razr Fit
Hybrid - Razr X 3H
Irons - 4-PW in either Razr X Tours or Razr X Blacks
Wedges - 54` and 60` Chrome forged
Putter - Not sure yet

That gives me 14 clubs

My bad i should have said this in the original post. My bag for TMC is looking like this

Driver - Razr Fit
Woods - 3 & 5 Razr Fit
Hybrid - Razr X 3H
Irons - 4-PW in either Razr X Tours or Razr X Blacks
Wedges - 54` and 60` Chrome forged
Putter - Not sure yet

That gives me 14 clubs

Can you throw in the lofts for the 3W, 5W, 3H, and 4I? Should be pretty easy to breakdown with that info.

Drop the four iron and go 5-GW? You can choke down to take some distance off your hybrid if needed.

3w - 15`
5w - 18`
3h - 21`
4i - rxt 23`- rxb 22`
5i - rxt 26`- rxb 25`
6i - rxt 29`- rxb 28
7i - rxt 33`- rxb 31`
8i - rxt 37`- rxb 35`
9i - rxt 41`- rxb 39`
pw - rxt 45`- rxb 44`

^^^ i plan to drop the 4 iron and go 5-PW, giving me an extra hybrid.
my 'gap in wedges' was A) based off my PW loft and B) spaced out in 4 degrees, aka, what i'm comfortable with.
i agree with everyone else in that only you'll know what's comfy for you. for instance, awhile ago i used to have a 60* in my bag...completely worthless, but that's just fit for my game and my courses. i read somewhere once that anyone over a 10 HDCP shouldn't have a 60+ degree wedge, but it does all depend on the style of your short game.

my best advice...don't be too quick to pull the trigger on an order. it's sooooooooooo exciting to finally be able to send in an order for the MC2. but not very often does a chance to get perfectly fitted for clubs come around, so take your time in deciding what's absolutely right for your game. this thread is a great start to that!

3w - 15`
5w - 18`
3h - 21`
4i - rxt 23`- rxb 22`
5i - rxt 26`- rxb 25`
6i - rxt 29`- rxb 28
7i - rxt 33`- rxb 31`
8i - rxt 37`- rxb 35`
9i - rxt 41`- rxb 39`
pw - rxt 45`- rxb 44`

Completely your call but IF it was ME, I would drop the 4i and go with 3 wedges. I would rather have a 4 or 5 degree gap between 3H and 5I rather than a 9 or 10 degree gap between PW & GW.

Completely your call but IF it was ME, I would drop the 4i and go with 3 wedges. I would rather have a 4 or 5 degree gap between 3H and 5I rather than a 9 or 10 degree gap between PW & GW.

I'm with this one as well. I also enjoy wedge play so I'm a little bias, but nevertheless that's a big gap from pw down.

Thanks for the advise guys. Looking like i will drop the 4I for the extra wedge

3w - 15`
5w - 18`
3h - 21`
4i - rxt 23`- rxb 22`
5i - rxt 26`- rxb 25`
6i - rxt 29`- rxb 28
7i - rxt 33`- rxb 31`
8i - rxt 37`- rxb 35`
9i - rxt 41`- rxb 39`
pw - rxt 45`- rxb 44`

Thanks for the advise guys. Looking like i will drop the 4I for the extra wedge

I think you are making the right call as I was going to suggest the same thing.

I agree with several if the others, the 3 hybrid and 4 iron you listed are only one degree apart.... You don't need a 21* and a 22* option, I would drop the 4 iron and add a third wedge at 48 or 50*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I favor gaps smaller than that, 6 degrees is about the max for me. I can play partial shots with pretty good success and I have had some good rounds with a 47 PW and a 54 SW and no other wedges in the bag. I would pick up either a 52 and a 58 and go with that or go with 4 degree gaps at 50 54 58 and take out the 4i as suggested.

I would simply add a 50, 54, 60 as this tightens up the gaps but still leaves you with the lob for those times when you really need it. I do think an 8 degree gap is a touch too much especially in the scoring clubs, you wouldn't for example have an 8 degree gap between your 7 iron and 8 iron, just my 2 cents!

I've never been one to worry about "gaps". I choose my wedge lofts based on what shots I want to hit. I feel I can always take a little off or add a little oomph to a shot if I need to. For last year's The Morgan Cup, I chose a 52* bent to 51* with 8* of bounce, a 56* with 12* of bounce, and a 58* with 9*. The CB PW was 47*. I did that to pitch around the greens and hit knockdowns with the 51*, the 56* for 50-70 yard shots and blasting out of the soft FL sand (I can knock that down a little too), and the 58* for short sided bunker shots and flops from 40 yards and in and out of the long bermuda around the greens.

That combo worked pretty well. I don't say to myself I need this loft wedge from 110, this from 80, and this from 60. I pick 'em to do different things from a variety of distances.

That's how this old Cheesehead rolls.

Kevin

With today's announcement from our tour rep about being able to order wedges from Callaway for The Morgan Cup 2.0 I have spent almost 2 hours on the Callaway website http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us.html looking at wedges. I have come to a few conclusions.

1. I'm very lucky to be in The Morgan Cup 2.0. Thank you to everyone at THP and the event sponsors Callaway, Cleveland Srixon and Bridgestone.
2. The Choices are endless even just for wedges finishes, loft, lie, shafts and grips.

So with this I come to you folks for a little help. My current wedge setup is a 46` PW, 54 SW and a 60` LB. My question is 8` to much of a gap between wedges?? I have gotten used to playing a nice 3/4 shot with all of my wedge so i have my distances covered but would i be off putting a 50` wedge in the bag to help cover to gap?? If i did add a wedge i would have to remove either my 3 or 5 wood.

Kelly

Pretty big gaps to me but everything is subjective. I like 4 degree gaps myself.

Back