Getting use to a new set of Irons. How long

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
I have noticed that I am starting to hit my irons a lot better these past few weeks. Im not sure if my golf game is just getting better because I am playing a lot of if Im getting use to my new Irons. I have had these for about 3-4 months.

I feel like Im just starting to hit them really well and im hitting more greens and getting closer to the pin. Its not that I did not hit them OK to start with, but now it seems like I just hitting a lot more pure shots and I have more control.

So my questions is, How long has it taken some of you to get use to a new set of irons and have you experienced the same thing. I was talking to my dad and he said when he got his new Burners a couple years ago he felt right at home immediately. It that normal?

I really liked mine from the start but now, I like them much more:D.

I have noticed that I am starting to hit my irons a lot better these past few weeks. Im not sure if my golf game is just getting better because I am playing a lot of if Im getting use to my new Irons. I have had these for about 3-4 months.

I feel like Im just starting to hit them really well and im hitting more greens and getting closer to the pin. Its not that I did not hit them OK to start with, but now it seems like I just hitting a lot more pure shots and I have more control.

So my questions is, How long has it taken some of you to get use to a new set of irons and have you experienced the same thing. I was talking to my dad and he said when he got his new Burners a couple years ago he felt right at home immediately. It that normal?

About 2 range sessions to start hitting my MX300 good when i bought them new last year, the real kicker to this is i wasnt fit for them but over winter i went and had them bent to my specs 2*upright and this season has been unreal for me so far, i never thought i could hit irons this good, straight, fade, baby draw, whatever i want to hit i can, also hitting tons and tons of greens in 2 and at least 2-3 times a round i put one from 150+ to within a foot. Even my divots are straight and even depth now. Its amazing what the correct specs will do

RR I've had my irons for five months...the longest I've ever had a set. But I've only played them a few times because of the worst. winter. ever. I've had range time with them but it's not the same as playing. I really like them and am starting to get a nice feel for them.

I have had new sets that worked right away because of the work I did up front (demo'ing - fitting) and I've had a couple of sets that took a little more time to get use to.

My current irons were a little on the hard side out of the gate, but a little tweeking here and there (bending) and all was well. I'm hitting more greens now than I ever have in thirty five years of playing, so I'm happy I gave them time.

It's taken me a while to get fully adjusted to the Burner 2.0's. I had picked up so much additional distance that it just took a lot of playing in order for me to be able to comfortably club myself.

I've had mine for about 6 rounds and still not fully adjusted

I felt a difference in softness in my S58's when I got them but hit them like crap. They weren't fitted for me and I didn't do too well with them. Took me about 3 months to get used to them. Then I got lessons and started hitting them so crisp.

I think it depends what the change is. A long time ago, I switched from the Hogan Apex Pro's to the Hogan Apex Plus'. The difference was pretty minimal so it was a round or two and I "adjusted". Other times, it takes a good month before I really knew my new clubs.

Thanks for the reply's. I think one of the big factors is this is my first set with graphite shafts. I noticed that I have to swing the club smooth and if I rush it, its :bad:. I did get the clubs fitted prior to purchase so that helped,

Probably more then anything is, this is the first time in my life I have spend more time on the range and practicing, plus Im playing 4 + time per week. Like the guy says "the more I practice the luckier I get"

I just love that sound of the irons on a perfectly struck shot, TWAK, :golf:

I've been fortunate, perhaps because I'm moving to a more forgiving iron (from MP-52 to X24) but I had one range session and then went out in pretty crappy conditions and hit 8 GIR on shots ranging from 115 (PW) to 170 (6i) with the new sticks. That's pretty typical GIR for me when my driving puts me in the hole on a number of tee shots into trees, etc. Where I noticed the biggest difference was on finesse shots: punch, bump and runs or partial shots and more length (about 10 yards). I just clubbed down 1 club on every iron shot and i compensated fine for the length. I figure a couple of range sessions and another round or two to work the finesse shots and the club switch will be "in the bag" so to speak. The additional forgiveness is obviously something that I need.

Oddly if I noticed any tendency it was a return of the slight pull when I swing aggressively due to a mild OTP issue. I do not have this problem with the MP-52 or MP-57 that I've played but I have had it with the X18, X24 and MX-900.

I got my new irons in the 2nd half of February, have been to the range maybe once per week and have played around 5-6 rounds with them. I'm starting to get used to them more. They are a fairly big switch from my previous set that I had for around 8 years, so I expected some breaking in would be necessary - new head type, new lie angle, new shaft maker, slightly different flex and feel, etc.

I've had both. Got a set of MP60's and they just worked from the first swing. Got a set of r7 TP's and could not do anything with them. I think if all the specs are right for you then the switch is easier. If you have to adjust to a different static weight, swingweight, etc. then it will take some time to get the feel.

Well when I bought my X22s, I really sucked with them for a little while, I think they are a different feel than my old irons. Now that I am used to them, I am hitting them better than anything I have ever used and absolutely love them.

Last year, I used X22's and just recently switched to the R9 TP's. It took me about a couple of range sessions to get used to the R9 TP's and now I love them.

My last set of irons (McG MT Mids) went with me to the course without ever being hit, not sim, nor range sessions. I had the best ball striking rd of my life. Didn't matter if it was a 4i or a 9i, ever shot was a baby draw right at the pin. Had 5 birdies, and I don't think I have ever had more than 2 in a rd before, or since that rd. Funny thing is I played the exact same course 3 days later and I was literally hitting my irons sideways!

It really depends how much you practice/play with your new clubs. It usually takes me 3-4 weeks but I practice just about every day and play 2-3 times a week.

I am loving my new Cleveland CG16 irons however I will say, it's taking some getting use to the lower lofts. I find myself over shooting my targets quite often. I figure it will take a few weeks to really get them dialed in. Throw in the fact that I am currently taking lessons adds a little more to the mix.

Getting comfortable to new irons is relatively easy. I mean I demo clubs enough that I only buy them if I feel they're a good fit.

With that said, it usually only takes me about 4 or 5 rounds and some range work? The issue isn't so much swinging or hitting them. It's more just adjusting to the new yardages....especially with the newer GI irons with the strong lofts. It takes a few rounds to really believe that you're hitting a 9 instead of the usual 7 iron when there's a lake in front of you.

This is so timely for me. I recently switched from (ladies) Adams A7OSs to Cleveland HB3 irons (a Christmas present). I LOVED these irons when I got them. I hit them longer and straighter. I took some time off and now I can't hit these things to save my life. I got rid of my A7Oses and now with the outing coming up and golf season, I'm thinking... hm... do I wait and see how these pan out or get a new set?? I tried my OLD Callaway X-12s and they seems to be performing well for me - but I hate bagging such an old set when there's so much technology out there. I guess I'll give it a couple of weeks and then we'll see. Before I took a break from the HB3s, I was hitting them very well. The other glitch in this is that I'm pregnant and gaining weight (changing center of gravity), so maybe that has to do with it? In the past, it improved my golf game, but maybe not this time around (UG!)!

3 weeks of practice and play..

I wouldn't think of it in days or months but maybe rounds. I don't get to play very much so someone might play twice as much in a month that I do all year. So 1 month/2 months/5 months is all relative to the individual.

The last time I got a new set of irons I got them in September so I really only had a little bit of time with them that year. Then the next full year was still an adjustment. About the middle of the next year did I feel really locked in with them. I was comfortable with them when I got them. I did a ton of testing with them and knew they were what I wanted. Like I mentioned, I don't play that much, so for me it was probably around 30 rounds or so over that span. With a few range trips included in there.

For me, most of the adjustment was the distance control. Very hard to get them locked in on the range, so it takes some time on the course to figure it all out.

Take all the credit yourself. Sounds like you are swinging well. Since your swing is the only variable in this, you are the one responsible for the better play.

I hope I settle in fast when I get new ones. I need to be ready for the tournaments this summer before high school.

Back