Golf Ball Hunting

MattyGazoo1

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey THP. This weekend me and my dad went out to a local course where he used to be a member, and because of the absence of snow in Southern Ontario this winter, the water was extremely low. Over the course of 3 days we were able to pull around 1300 golf balls (we think) from hazards. The course was empty, and we plan on selling these to pay for a few rounds this summer. Anybody else do this? I'll post pics up when we get them all cleaned up.

That's a lot of balls. Wow, crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! A fellow hunter. I have four courses by me that I hit 2-3 times a week each and clen them up and sell them at the country club. SOLID cash!

When we play Friday leagues at our home course, we check the same places during our practice rounds weekly. Every week we find about 75-100 balls in the woods around certain greens.

Normally I would not ask, but I curiosity is getting the best of me. Do you guys speak to the Country Club or Golf Course and get permission before doing this?

We went into the ponds once when I was a caddy at a course. Found tons of balls and also found tons of leaches on us when we came out lol. Wasn't too fun pulling all those suckers off (pun intended).

But yeah as JB said, that could be considered theft possibly b/c most courses normally will contract that out to a golf ball diver and will receive some of the proceeds.

I never hunt for balls. I think it slows play down too much just like those walkers do.

But yeah as JB said, that could be considered theft possibly b/c most courses normally will contract that out to a golf ball diver and will receive some of the proceeds.

They really do and in this economy rely on this money to get by many times. Its a tough market and the extra money can keep the course in proper conditions.

We get free range balls in exchange for what is pulled from our ponds. Our Superintendent would be very ticked about you taking those balls.

I've posted this before, but once while inspecting a vacant house I came upon this in the basement. Didn't even take one. I always wonder what happened to this mother lode. Many of the buckets held premium balls in really good shape.

Kevin

golfballs.jpg

Aye-yi-yi. You are on some shaky ground there legally. I could understand if you just happened to spy them while playing, but to go out specifically to get them, I dunno.

I'm way too lazy to do this.

Steel tappin' from my iPad

My dad always manages to find 10 or so balls every round we play. It slows us down our round a little, but as long as I keep getting the Pro V1x's and Penta's im not complaining.

My dad always manages to find 10 or so balls every round we play. It slows us down our round a little, but as long as I keep getting the Pro V1x's and Penta's im not complaining.

haha yeah cant complain about that. When I hit one into the woods and look for it I usually always find Pro V1's like crazy.

Not sure what the course rules are about this either. Once lost are they the golf courses property? Just sounds odd. I would think it's a free for all, and whatever you find is yours. 1300? Holy baby Jesus.

I think it's somewhat shady to go out explicitly to hunt for them though. That could definitely be ruled trespassing.

Not sure what the course rules are about this either. Once lost are they the golf courses property? Just sounds odd. I would think it's a free for all, and whatever you find is yours. 1300? Holy baby Jesus.

I think it's somewhat shady to go out explicitly to hunt for them though. That could definitely be ruled trespassing.

The course is in fact private property. So while the ball itself might be in question, using the private property to hunt for balls as a goal to make a personal profit is something I would be in question of.

We go out hunting for them during the season in Manitoba. The one guy I golf with has a sort of rake contraption and he comes back with buckets every day and turns them in to the clubhouse.

The course is in fact private property. So while the ball itself might be in question, using the private property to hunt for balls as a goal to make a personal profit is something I would be in question of.

And if even 1 ball is a range ball that belongs to the course, they have grounds to charge for theft.

I've posted this before, but once while inspecting a vacant house I came upon this in the basement. Didn't even take one. I always wonder what happened to this mother lode. Many of the buckets held premium balls in really good shape.

Kevin

golfballs.jpg

Holy cow!

We might find a couple of balls while searching for our own, but we never go out and deliberately look for golf balls. We've gotten into a "discussion" or two over the years with golfers playing in front of us who were so busy fishing golf balls out of ponds that they forgot there were people behind them. I get nervous when I see golf ball retrievers in the bags of strangers I get paired with!

Normally I would not ask, but I curiosity is getting the best of me. Do you guys speak to the Country Club or Golf Course and get permission before doing this?

Maple Hill - I know the owner and I was given personal permission.
Kaufman - Public course that it is posted that anyone can.
Railside CC - ex-member, yes I have permission, and they don't shag them themselves anyway.
The Pines - Member, great friends with owner, I will be working there next summer, I have permission.
Ironwood - Owner's daughter told me I could as long as I didn't disturb anyone (this was like 8:30 PM) I didn't, then the owner came out and found me at like 10 PM almost with a wedge in hand and almost ran me over with the golf cart... she was not happy lol

I have permission anywhere I go now, it;s great cash for me and a great economic option for my buyers!

Im literally shocked that golf courses in that area, where golf was struggling this year would give up thousands of dollars in revenue from divers and hunters to have a former member or friend make income. Thats great man, just shocking I guess.

I have heard of a couple courses around here that prosecuted guys for that. Trespassing and theft.

Maple Hill - I know the owner and I was given personal permission.
Kaufman - Public course that it is posted that anyone can.
Railside CC - ex-member, yes I have permission, and they don't shag them themselves anyway.
The Pines - Member, great friends with owner, I will be working there next summer, I have permission.
Ironwood - Owner's daughter told me I could as long as I didn't disturb anyone (this was like 8:30 PM) I didn't, then the owner came out and found me at like 10 PM almost with a wedge in hand and almost ran me over with the golf cart... she was not happy lol

I have permission anywhere I go now, it;s great cash for me and a great economic option for my buyers!

That's amazing that they let you do that. We have guys who travel all over who come by and request dredging our ponds for balls. They always give us a good amount of range balls in exchange based on what they get out. Win, win for everyone. You're a lucky guy.

Im literally shocked that golf courses in that area, where golf was struggling this year would give up thousands of dollars in revenue from divers and hunters to have a former member or friend make income. Thats great man, just shocking I guess.

Just curious, how do you know which courses are struggling JB?

I know of some in my area that have gone bankrupt, but I also know of several in my area that have pulled in a ton of profit over the past few years (enough to do big financial improvements per year).

But with the topic, I agree with most people here and think of going out just to find balls a little odd. I'm not sure any of the courses here allow that, seeing as how I've seen the divers at several of the courses along with signs that prohibit trying to retrieve balls.

Back