Golf GPS - handheld, watch, smartphone, smartwatch?

Dave Alvarado

Reaction score
Handicap
Like the title says, I'm kicking around getting a golf GPS of some sort, but I'm not sure what makes the most sense.

I have an iPhone and would consider buying an Apple Watch. I carry my phone in my pocket when I play. I would also consider a handheld or a GPS watch. All the new options are roughly in the same $400-$500 price range.

Some rounds I ride, some rounds I walk. I've found that I play better golf when I'm at a nice course with GPS in the carts, so I can see a map of the hole, get distances to hazards, etc.

What do you have and/or would you get, and why?

Edit: I already have a rangefinder, so don't need that suggestion.

Bushnell Neo XS is probably the best gps watch out there. But if you want to see the full layout of the hole, you should probably get a sky caddie handheld of sorts

I have a Bushnell watch and love it! I would be lost without it as it's so easy to have you distances where ever you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Bushnell GPS watch and I love it. I didn't want something else to fumble with or worry about dropping and damaging, so I went with the watch. Accuracy is good, shows front, middle and back on the green. It really works great on blind shots where you couldn't see the pin with a range finder. I just look at my wrist and I'm good to go.

GPS watch every time!

Neo XS.

And if you absolutely can't stand a watch, Neo Ghost.

I just ordered a Garmin G6 Approach handheld. Still waiting for it to arrive but it looks promising.

I almost started a similar topic. I am actually considering the Neo XS or the SkyCaddie Sport. I like that the Neo has distances to hazards and lay up as well. The SkyCaddie also functions as a fitness watch is a very tempting feature. I am unsure which one I want to go with at this point.

For me, Golf Shot + iPhone 6 plus + Top flip leather cover = Yardage Book (in back pocket)

My buddy uses his Garmin handheld, forget the model, and I use the app Hole 19 on my phone. He has said 5-6 times now he wishes he hadn't wasted the money on the GPS as the phone does what the GPS does for free and you can keep score and track things like FIR, GIR, total putts, etc.

I like my G6 approach by Garmin. Small and easy to use.

A lot of guys that I play with have some sort of watch. If you really want a GPS, that would be the way to go, as it is immediately accessable, accurate, and doesn't take up much space in the golf bag.
I use my phone, but it can get to be a hassle at times.

I have a Golf Buddy handheld but I would get a watch when I get a new one. Im thinking Bushnell XS or Golf Buddy WT5, which has dynamic green and all the hazards. Same with WT4.

I went with the Bushnell Neo last year and absolutely love it. I don't know that I will ever go without a gps watch again.

I prefer gps watch. I have tomtom and before that considered the bushnell watches

Dave, since you carry your phone during the round, just spend the $40-$50 for the Golfshot or SkyCaddie apps. There are excellent. I've used both, currently using SkyCaddie. They give the exact same views and interaction as a separate hand-held device, and it doesn't cost another $400. Seriously, no reason to go external if your phone is with you on-course. I've had a separate SkyCaddie and Izzo. The apps have exactly the same functionality...

I'm a pretty big fan of the Tom Tom GPS watch. Does a nice job of showing me bunkers, and whether they are left, right, or somewhere in the fairway. (Same with water). It also shows me where dog legs are, to the extent the 3d party company actually mapped the dog legs (which is less often than I'd like). I can't tell you how many times I use the feature to determine whether I can carry a hazard, or at least determine that I can't reach a hazard. It was reviewed here on THP, and I'd have no issues recommending it to anyone. It was $250 when it released, not sure if there are price drops now or not.

Plus, it fits well. I have smaller wrists, and its not a an overly large watch, so that also works in its favor for me. I don't ever notice it during golf.

That said, if you like seeing a map of the hole, a handheld device may be better suited for you, and they are within your price range.

~Rock

I just ordered a Garmin G6 Approach handheld. Still waiting for it to arrive but it looks promising.
I have one & only complaint is it could use a bigger screen, but hey I'm old. Lol

GPS Watch is the way to go. I cannot wear it on my wrist, but I hook it to my bag and I am good to go.

I am a fan of my GPS watch, I think any brand will do well, but a watch is clearly the best for me, so easy to use.

Here is what I have and I absolutely love it: http://www.amazon.com/GolfBuddy-Pla...871&sr=8-4&keywords=golf+buddy+platinum+world

I've done the watch thing before but I prefer seeing the entire hole and being able to drag the marker to see where if I hit a shot 150 to this point what it leaves me into the green, etc. Can't do that with a watch as its only looking at the direct distance from your spot to the green and not accounting for dog legs, etc for the most part.

Plus no fees unlike Sky Caddy. I've traveled the country with it and haven't been to a course it didn't work on. Fantastic unit.

I am a fan of my GPS watch, I think any brand will do well, but a watch is clearly the best for me, so easy to use.

Yep and when mine wears out I will be getting another watch as it's the ticket for me :thumb:

Dave if you interested in a watch PM me.

Another vote for the Neo XS. Such a convenient and useful device.

Watch - really any of the Neo's. The second model has some hazard info, which is worth a little extra imo.

I've used many watches and always default to the Neo. Comfortable, just enough info, crazy battery life, and Bushnell is very good at CS.

Back