Golf Shaft Pondering Thread

I just ordered an Aldila Quaranta 40 gram shaft in senior flex for my driver. The profile of the shaft seems to fit me well, and I know it's a bit of a risk ordering something without trying it, but I think this will work.

Thinking about making a jump into graphite iron shafts. Try to solve some joint problems before they start!

I'm pondering changing shafts in some old fairway woods, I found some nice shafts. But was wondering what was the difference between filament wound and table rolled graphite shafts. Which is best or are they the same.

Been hitting my Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 shaft so well, but I think an AV Raw Orange might be fun to tinker with.

So if a person wants more iron backspin, to lower the launch, and then lower the descent angle.... is that possible just by switching from steel to graphite?

Honest question. Am I thinking a shaft can fix all/any of these things, when in reality it won't help any of them?

So if a person wants more iron backspin, to lower the launch, and then lower the descent angle.... is that possible just by switching from steel to graphite?

Honest question. Am I thinking a shaft can fix all/any of these things, when in reality it won't help any of them?

So just to be clear your main goal is trying to increase iron backspin? Do you also want to lower your descent angle as well (lower as in less steep)? If yes, why is that if you don't mind my asking? Generally it's preferable to have a steep descent angle to stop a ball more quickly on the green, and if it's too steep it's likely due to too much spin/ballooning effect so increasing iron spin would be counterproductive. I guess if you are really getting under the ball then you could just have a really high launch with low spin.

Regardless, shaft changes can help with some of these things, but will need to know your ultimate goal here and what (if any) issues you are working on.

So just to be clear your main goal is trying to increase iron backspin? Do you also want to lower your descent angle as well (lower as in less steep)? If yes, why is that if you don't mind my asking? Generally it's preferable to have a steep descent angle to stop a ball more quickly on the green, and if it's too steep it's likely due to too much spin/ballooning effect so increasing iron spin would be counterproductive. I guess if you are really getting under the ball then you could just have a really high launch with low spin.

Regardless, shaft changes can help with some of these things, but will need to know your ultimate goal here and what (if any) issues you are working on.
In my fitting, the three main things that were not "optimal": I launch too high (23 degrees), my descent angle is on the high side of optimal (47.75 degrees), and my backspin (5325 rpm with a 7i is on the low side of optimum).

Of all 3, the one I am maybe most concerned about is launching too high.

In my fitting, the three main things that were not "optimal": I launch too high (23 degrees), my descent angle is on the high side of optimal (47.75 degrees), and my backspin (5325 rpm with a 7i is on the low side of optimum).

Of all 3, the one I am maybe most concerned about is launching too high.

Ah thanks for the clarification. That launch angle is a product of the face angle through impact, so you could lower that launch by strengthening your lofts. If you only want to adjust the shafts then possibly a stronger flex or even tipping the shafts could help a bit, but in my experience it doesn't make a huge difference. Your question started off by asking about a switch from steel to graphite, and I'm not sure this will help much either. Usually it's the other way around if you're trying to lower launch. *Caveat* There are a lot of new graphite iron shafts on the market so there may be some "low launch" iron shafts in the graphite shaft space.

If these were my numbers, I'd strengthen the iron lofts to bring down the launch (probably 2*). This will bring spin down further though, so I'd compensate by switching to a high iron spin golf ball like the Mizuno golf balls (see the TXG videos on YT) or even something like a CSX or ProV1x (not sure if 2021 models still have highest spin for irons, will need to double check).

Pondering a Nemesys Hybrid Shaft.
Have it in my Driver and Mav Max 3+ wood now.
They may a Regular Flex and in the TXG Review, Ian said it didn't feel like 90 grams.

Last edited:
Kinetixx fairway shafts.

Kinetixx Launch TP shaft is on the way.. Should be here by Friday.. (y)(y)

Hybrid and utility shafts. Something has to change.

Also, Kinetixx CHARGED stuff even though it’s not the best fit on paper.

Having fun with driver shafts this year. It has literally taken me years to begin to understand what profiles and characteristics feel good and produce functional numbers. Ventus black in 2 flexes incoming will serve as the gamer(s). I need time to see how these flexes play on course. Sim work is a good starting point. I will also add 1-2 more shafts over the season. GD ad hd and diamana tb are on the ponder / lookout mode.

Trying to determine what shaft to play in my new ZX Utility 2 iron. The stock ~90 gram Recoil shaft (X flex) was too light and felt a bit whippy at the regular length.

I have a DG 105 X100 and Modus 3 105X already ordered and will be giving them a go. I shouldn't need to cut them down at all so I can always pull them right back out if they don't work.

Really have an itch to try a Nippon NS Pro Regio Formula MB in my driver. Finding one on the used market is tougher than spotting a unicorn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve been looking for the Formula B for 2 years now! I can’t justify dropping $3-400 on a shaft I’ve never swung!

Really have an itch to try a Nippon NS Pro Regio Formula MB in my driver. Finding one on the used market is tougher than spotting a unicorn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It’s quite good, and a lot of fun.

Likely not to buy one, but the Mitsubishi 1k has me intrigued lately.

Velocity shafts were a hoot yesterday. The dispersion given the feel through the swing has broken my mind a bit.

Hybrid [. . .] shafts. Something has to change.

Yep. If those clubs are going to be a viable part of my bag, I need to find a more Parrot-friendly shaft than my current Tensei CK Pro White.

Being a lower spin, moderate swing speed guy 😔, I need some launch help. Any suggestions y’all that aren’t super, ultra exotic and a reasonably priced?

Yep. If those clubs are going to be a viable part of my bag, I need to find a more Parrot-friendly shaft than my current Tensei CK Pro White.

Being a lower spin, moderate swing speed guy 😔, I need some launch help. Any suggestions y’all that aren’t super, ultra exotic and a reasonably priced?
Man, that’s a tough one. Hybrid shafts just aren’t the cheapest thing. You’d probably love the GD ADDI, but it holds its price. Accra 2.0 100H maybe, and the Kinetixx HUT is a mid-high launcher.

kbs tour hybrid.

Back