Golfing alone and playing two balls... good form or bad form?

I do this pretty often when playing solo practice rounds and backed up in front with nowhere to go. Helps pass the time and keep rhythm. Never had anyone complain.

I prefer to practice on the course, so I do this quit often as long as no groups are waiting for me if it's crowded. I think it's fine and see many others do the same.

I play a lot at a local lighted 18 hole course that can sometimes be packed and sometimes it's wide open. When I'm by myself, I will almost always play two or more balls off the tee but just keep score with the first. If there is no one around and I'm not the only one left on the course, happens often at night,I will dump about a dozen balls to practice approach shots on a few holes to really find a swing. If I'm last on the course then I only play one ball and usually play fast. The guys at the club house have to wait for me and I know they would probably love to be home as soon as possible. Nothing beats on course practice!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I actually do that a lot. During the week I usually tee off between 6:15 and 6:30 and majority of the time I am the last to do so. If I am walking I will usually stick to 1 or 2 balls played like you described However times when I am riding in a cart and I will play anywhere from 3-5 balls. At that point I figure I'm just out there for practice. After a hole is completed I also like to drop 5 balls in a bunker or behind a bunker and work on my short game shots. As long as I'm not holding anyone up it's all good and fine with the course. My course lacks a good short game area so I have to use the actual course to provide me with a good practice session for those shots. Also since I am a member at the course I'm not really concerned about getting in a full 9, I can walk off after 6 holes of great practice and be happy.

Like Ddec, during daylight savings time I try to tee off alot when I am the last one to go out....I will play 2 balls and keep score for each and then when I get to the 9th hole after I hole out the two balls, I grab my shag balls from my bag and scatter 20-25 of them inside 100 yards and play them out one at a time to work on my short game....I have talked to the course about it and they have no issue what so ever.

I don't have a problem with what your doing. Sounds like your taking others into consideration and not doing it when people are waiting on you. I don't play two balls for an entire round but will hit a second shot when I screw up just to see if it's a singular bad swing or an area of concern.

I would have never thought this would even be questioned as an issue. As long as you are not holding anyone up, what does it matter? I often find it a good way to practice shots, try to fade one or draw one and see the results of the shot.

I do this ALL the time. But I dont do a scramble. I play 2 balls all the way through, and keep score for each ball. Just to see how my scores differ. I think you paid for your round, you do what you want!!

This is what I do as well. If there is no one out there, or the group in front is slow, sometimes I'll play the hole entirely and then practice my short game for 10-15 around the greens.

Good to see alot of people do it the way I do. I always felt a little sheepish about it seeing as how I paid for one round and am effectively golfing too. I'm pretty anal about people playing up behind me. I'd rather let them play in front of me, even if we're both about the same pace.

Yeah I do this as well. One time I was a single and got to the back 9, which was completely backed up for some reason. The starter suggested I play a few balls since I wouldn't be able to move up at all. It's a good way to practice and so long as it doesn't affect anyone else, it's good stuff.

It all depends on the circumstances. If I'm put in with 3 others I won't. If I'm truly by myself of even one other then yes.

what a great idea ..

in that case, is it uncool to play a par 3 and then drive back and play it again :) for practice sake of course !

No issues with what you describe. I do it when I play by myself and there is nobody ahead of me. In addition to getting some practice without bothering people behind, it prevents me from pushing anyone who might be a couple of holes in front of me. Good times.

The course that is closest to my house doesn't have a range so I go to the two ball practice rounds quite often. During the week you can get away with it without holding anyone up and is great practice.

Like has been said before, as long as you aren't holding anyone up, play 4 if you want.

The main course I played back in IN had a par 27 back 9, and a few of them are short <90 yards. There have been a couple times I played more than 1 ball, and one weeknight when I was finishing up 17 and 18, the closest people to me were just starting 11. I played 3 balls on 17 (practicing different tee shots as a large tree blocked part of the green) and played 4 or 5 on 18 using different tee shots as well to see which worked.

I was literally all alone that time, and would've picked up my 2nd if I was holding anyone up, I wasn't, so I personally see no problem with it.

From a person who works on the golf course maintenance side of the industry, I'm not a big fan of people who do this. I don't mind when someone drops another ball once in a while after hitting a poor shot but playing a consistent 2 balls is another story. The way I see it is that the golf course makes up it's green fees with the assumption of people playing 1 ball. The minute you start playing 2 balls you are essentially playing as 2 people with twice the divots, ball marks, etc so in my mind it's kind of like you're cheating the golf course. There's a reason why noone goes into the proshop before their round and asks if it's ok if they play to separate balls the whole round lol, they would probably ask you to pay for 2 green fees. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

When I'm back in the states, I often try to cut out of work early once or twice a week or so to hit 9 holes or so. It's usually alone, in a cart and I'm just golfing to get away and practice. Usually, unless it's super crowded or backed up at the course, I'll tee up two balls and play them as separate scores on my card. Golfing alone in a cart, even with 2 balls, is pretty quick - so groups rarely ever come up behind me unless I'm stuck behind other slow groups as well (in which case I only play one ball). An alternative I've done once or twice is basically do a solo scramble... play two balls and advance using the best ball.

Is this poor etiquette or bad form or against some unwritten rule? Does this make me an a-hole?
I'm just curious about what others think about this practice.

I do it all the time and find absolutely nothing but good coming of practice! If the course is busy it may be an issue but I walk and do this and even play 36 holes a few days a week. i think your good to go.

From a person who works on the golf course maintenance side of the industry, I'm not a big fan of people who do this. I don't mind when someone drops another ball once in a while after hitting a poor shot but playing a consistent 2 balls is another story. The way I see it is that the golf course makes up it's green fees with the assumption of people playing 1 ball. The minute you start playing 2 balls you are essentially playing as 2 people with twice the divots, ball marks, etc so in my mind it's kind of like you're cheating the golf course. There's a reason why noone goes into the proshop before their round and asks if it's ok if they play to separate balls the whole round lol, they would probably ask you to pay for 2 green fees. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

I definitely see your point. Whenever I have done this, it has been in the middle of a weekday, when the course is dead. I always ask the head pro and owner if he minds if I play multiple balls. Every time I ask, he is more than happy to let me do so. He knows I am trying to improve. Also, its at least one greens fee.

I definitely see your point. Whenever I have done this, it has been in the middle of a weekday, when the course is dead. I always ask the head pro and owner if he minds if I play multiple balls. Every time I ask, he is more than happy to let me do so. He knows I am trying to improve. Also, its at least one greens fee.

Well if you ask permission and they don't mind then by all means! You are obviously a regular there and they value your business. As long as there are no slow play issues then you shouldn't feel bad at all for playing multiple balls.

I think it all depends on what you're actually paying for. On some courses the greens fee is for as many holes as you want to play, so if you're walking, it doesn't matter. On the courses I go to, if I want to play more I only have to pay the cart fee for any additional rounds. So if I play two balls I'm not cheating them out of a greens fee but it could be argued that I'm putting more wear on the cart and using more gas. So I guess it's all up to whether the course allows it or not. If I knew I was going to be playing two balls for the entire round I would ask permission but if I'm only going to be doing it on a few holes when I'm waiting anyway I don't.

If no one is behind you, playing two balls is okay.

If you can keep up the pass of play, play as man balls as you want.

I enjoy playing two ball rounds, I walk a lot more which is great and it gives me that many more situations on the course to practice and get shots in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I will treat some holes as a driving range and chipping green especially if things get backed up and no one is behind me. It's a great way to practice things that don't translate well when on the range/practice green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sometimes play a scramble format... hit two or three and play the best. If my second attempt at every shot was my first shot ... I'd be a scratch golfer. :tongue:

Back