Has pro golf lost it's flair and style?

Rageshadow

Reaction score
Handicap
Me
Before I start don't get me wrong there are some great players out there now, but it just feels like there is something missing now a days.

What I am talking about is watching golf growing up you saw players who you knew just by seeing them on the course. Players like Chi Chi, Arni, Lee (the Merry Mex) Trevino even Payne Stewart. You just new these guys on sight. They just had something special in their character. It seems to me now that all the players on tour almost have the same manufactured swing. I miss watching Chi Chi drop a birdie and act like Zoro with his putter and slam it home in his belt loop. Seeing that oh so unique swing of Arni or watching Lee Trevino smiling and joking with his playing partner all the while tearing him apart on the course. How could you miss Payne Stewart with his classic Socks and Knickers or Greg Norman with that aussie hat he always wore. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy watching golf but sometimes it just feels like it is lacking that style I grew up watching.

Sounds like you are talking about personality more than style but Im not sure I agree. I think the pro game is very exciting and hasn't lost its lustre at all for me.

Sounds like you are talking about personality more than style but Im not sure I agree. I think the pro game is very exciting and hasn't lost its lustre at all for me.

I do agree that the game is still exciting and I believe you are right, personality is exactly it. It seems like most of the pros out there now are pretty much all just alike in their demeanor. While their skills are great they just seem so flat in personality. No personal flair to go with their game. All that said it is just something personal to me. I enjoyed seeing the guys I mentioned in my first post being different, not just trying to fit in if that makes sense.

I see where you're coming from. Lee Trevino is irreplaceable. And we're never going to see anyone like Chi Chi again.

But I think modern golf has plenty of distinctive style. 5 guys off the top of my head: Keegan Bradley, Brandt Snedeker, Rory McIlroy, Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson. All very distinctive for various reasons. It is definitely a different vibe than the 70's/80's, but I think there is lots going on these days that I might reminisce about 20 years from now.

I think once Tiger and Phil move on there will be dark days for professional golf if another dominate player or two don't take their place. Rory, Fowler, Speith, and maybe a few others can carry the torch if one of them starts dominating or two of them do and make for an awesome rivalry.

Definitely a bit different nowadays, but still plenty of flair and style out there. I very much enjoy the game and the characters out there. Some of the personality, flair, and style of players that have been mentioned is tough, if at all possible, to be matched, but doesn't mean the it's lost, imho.

I recognize Duffdady, Bradley, Fowler, Mahan, most of them really.

Players now don't do silly dances after birdies because players expect to get them.

Swings aren't manufactured, there isn't asana homegrown swings, mainly because we have so much knowledge on the golf swing. We know what works.

I agree a little, I think all the talent is there and then some, this new breed of golfer is incredible. I'm not a big fan of the driver wedge golf. I think part of it for me is the natural progression of the end of an era, Tigermania. I'm not sure we'll ever see that level of golf again but every weekend he played the game was elevated to new levels and who knew what incredible shot was coming next. tiger, Furyk, Phil, KJ, Justin, Ernie, VJ, Duval, those battles were epic,I can only imagine that that's what it was like in Hogans era, they had great golfers too. We have some awesome golf ahead of us with these kids, all we need to do is tune in to see it.

I suppose there's something here, and I think we can see that in a lot of different sports, not all but, there used to be these old days with characters who had a....less serious sporting attitude and they went with the flow, smoking, partying, dressing differently and being less "corporate". Now when the big companies (broadcasting, channels, manufacturers, sponsors) are running almost every sport, they need their stars to be good and conforming, no rough edges because they need to fit to a profile of todays athletes. Then, when the athlete becomes good enough, wins a lot of big wins, gets a lot of money they can go back to do their own thing. When they've got enough balls they get to do their own thing, until that they dress, act and present them selves as good citizens, idols for the kids and following the norm.

Also, the "seriousness" and science in sports has become a factor in many sports, athletes know they need to be in shape and bad habits takes away the edge, and the other guy gets an advantage if they don't keep up. Snowboarders didn't work out 10-15 years ago, they drank bee and hung out before competitions and had a lifestyle thing going on. Now they workout, do physical tests and perform better. Same as golfers, Tiger showed what you can do when you take your body fully to the game, the field followed.

I do know this does not apply to everything, but just a thought that came to mind.

I totally agree. When Duffner, Bradley, Fowler, Mahan and Watson are the best we have when it comes to individualism much has been lost. I agree with the previous posters that eras have changed with corporate influence homogenizing the game and individualistic swing styles being rooted out early with template based instruction.

I hope it is cyclical and we again see a resurgence of "characters" but I do not see that as the current direction.

Last edited:
Golf seems to be so "automatic" now on the pro tour. They ALL hit the ball 300 yards, they ALL have great iron games. Most tournaments end up being putting contests, where the "hot" putter wins.

I think "flair" and individuality are also lacking a bit. I could walk past most of the pro's of today and never recognize them. But I sure would recognize Arnie, Jack, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi, Johnny Miller, etc...

The big thing for me is that you just don't really see anyone having fun out there anymore. All the old greats used to walk the course with a smile on their faces. Now the only time I really see a pro having fun on the course is when they get paired with Bill Murray for the Pro-AM at Pebble.

Everybody plays 'those were the days' sooner or later. No, I think there's plenty of diversity out there, whether its style, swings, or personalities.

Most players are given scripted apparel from their clothing sponsors, the older guys developed their own style.

Golf seems to be so "automatic" now on the pro tour. They ALL hit the ball 300 yards, they ALL have great iron games. Most tournaments end up being putting contests, where the "hot" putter wins.

I think "flair" and individuality are also lacking a bit. I could walk past most of the pro's of today and never recognize them. But I sure would recognize Arnie, Jack, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi, Johnny Miller, etc...

Other than Chi Chi, you just named multiple major winners. I bet you would recognize Phil, Tiger, Ernie, Rory, and Padraig. The best players are the most memorable. Other than Chi Chi, who was famous for doing that sword thing after a birdie putt.

Golf isn't as top heavy as it was in the 60s and 70s. The fields are deeper. That might be why some players seem to blend together, because there are more good players.

There are a few "Characters" in the game today, Bubba and the boys & Duff just to name a few, but they spend too little time in the leaders group. It's a different day and time, everyone is playing great golf rather than just a few.

Alot of good thoughts said here in this thread. I think some of it has to do with the fact that we just get older.
In life as well as golf and if golf was something we always had some interest in then it goes together.

May sound wooshywashy to you young folks but as we age we tend to relalte things to "way back then" or "those were the days" or "remember when". The genrations change as time goes on and its the memmories that seem and are special to us. It takes us back just like when listening to old music or looking at old pictures. Things always feel different when we look back and looking back is always "bittersweet" and special to us.

Alot of good thoughts said here in this thread. I think some of it has to do with the fact that we just get older.
In life as well as golf and if golf was something we always had some interest in then it goes together.

May sound wooshywashy to you young folks but as we age we tend to relalte things to "way back then" or "those were the days" or "remember when". The genrations change as time goes on and its the memmories that seem and are special to us. It takes us back just like when listening to old music or looking at old pictures. Things always feel different when we look back and looking back is always "bittersweet" and special to us.

I mean this as a compliment, this is the least crazy thing you have posted in quite a while.

I don't think so in any way. I think there are many characters out there. I think society somewhat puts them in a box and wants them to be a certain way. Many, fearing financial repercussion, acquiesce

Makes complete sense. Hell, I don't think you have to be all that old. I'm in my mid-30's and reminisce about things from my childhood. It's natural.

I do think it's completely illogical as well, of course :)

I mean this as a compliment, this is the least crazy thing you have posted in quite a while.

hahahaha. Thanks. You see, i really am just a regualr good hearted family guy. :) with a tad twisted ways of thinking sometimes. lol

hahahaha. Thanks. You see, i really am just a regualr good hearted family guy. :) with a tad twisted ways of thinking sometimes. lol

I never said you were a bad guy. Just sometimes crazy. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But I do agree that there is a tendancy to look back at days gone by and remember them being better than they actually were.

Everybody plays 'those were the days' sooner or later. No, I think there's plenty of diversity out there, whether its style, swings, or personalities.

I agree with this for the most part. The internet and social medias also play apart, as we have better access to more players vs. a small window into the golf world that highlighted and edited our view of the sport.

Those old time guys were a lot of fun..... Most of the new guys are robots out there playing. You don't see a lot of personality on the course or even in interviews. Only a few select that stand out. I enjoy watching, but the interaction and fun that used to exist certainly is missing....But you can say the same thing about society in general.

Those old time guys were a lot of fun..... Most of the new guys are robots out there playing. You don't see a lot of personality on the course or even in interviews. Only a few select that stand out. I enjoy watching, but the interaction and fun that used to exist certainly is missing....But you can say the same thing about society in general.

Arnie was one with the people (Phil). Lee Travino was a light hearted guy who jabbed his playing partners (Keegan). If I recall right, Jack wasn't exactly a chatterbox but just went out and won (Tiger).

Seems like we still have those same characters. Just the characters now have better and more efficient swings.

Back