Has the 5-wood made a comeback?

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Has the 5-wood made a comeback? It seemed like recently people had gotten away from high-lofted fairway woods such as 5-woods and 7-woods and went to hybrids but it seems like recently, especially on tour that players are going back to 5-woods and 7-woods.

I still use one most of the time.

Tiger still carries one, so that makes it still relevant.

I didn't think the 5 wood ever left. Now the 7 wood on the other hand is a different story.

I'm thinking about buying one. Maybe a 7w, too. Stupid hybrids.

Kevin

The 5 wood is the most consistent club in my bag. Love it.

Kind of still wish I had my Callaway Great Big Bertha 5W. I got rid of that so long ago, but I always hit it straight. I can't even remember why I got rid of it. Wonder how I'd hit it now...

I never carried a 5 wood but I was picked for the Boccieri Heavy Wood testing and went with the 5 wood and absolutely LOVE it! It comes in handy a lot more than I thought it would, perfect for longer par 3's and shorter par 5/long par 4's. Its also great off the tee if hitting a fairway is a must. Launches high and lands soft on the green and gets a decent amount off roll in the fairway.

Has the 5-wood made a comeback? It seemed like recently people had gotten away from high-lofted fairway woods such as 5-woods and 7-woods and went to hybrids but it seems like recently, especially on tour that players are going back to 5-woods and 7-woods.

I think the numbers on tour are week to week depending where the pro's are playing. For the rest of, I think hybrids are here to stay. For me, the hybrid offers are few shots I didn't have with the wood.

I didn't think the 5 wood ever left. Now the 7 wood on the other hand is a different story.
how often does he carry the 5 wood? Not sure what he's using at this tournament but I seem to remember at his invitational he was using a 2 iron instead of the 5 wood

how often does he carry the 5 wood? Not sure what he's using at this tournament but I seem to remember at his invitational he was using a 2 iron instead of the 5 wood

He swaps it out depending on the course. He has 5w in the bag this weekend though.

5 metal.

Funny you should ask. When the RBZs came out I went to give the 3w a go. Found out there's more than one 3w. At the store GG had the 3w and 3WHLI asked the sales guy about them and his opinion was to go with a 5W. He felt it was easier to hit off the deck and with the added distance of the RBZ line playing the 5w would make sense. Not sure if this answers your question but I'm pondering putting the 5W back in the bag.

I will always play my 3 and 5 woods, and when I become good enough I will replace the hybrid with a 3 iron. Hybrids are a great innovation that has helped tons of players, but in my dad's words "the players hit irons. only use a hybrid of you absolutely cannot hit an iron."

I agree. The 7 wood was replaced by hybrids but people are starting to bring the 7 wood back. 5 Wood is here to stay.

I will always play my 3 and 5 woods, and when I become good enough I will replace the hybrid with a 3 iron. Hybrids are a great innovation that has helped tons of players, but in my dad's words "the players hit irons. only use a hybrid of you absolutely cannot hit an iron."

seems a bit stuck up there. plenty of pros are using a hybrid and I'm pretty sure that they can still hit irons.

Funny you should ask. When the RBZs came out I went to give the 3w a go. Found out there's more than one 3w. At the store GG had the 3w and 3WHLI asked the sales guy about them and his opinion was to go with a 5W. He felt it was easier to hit off the deck and with the added distance of the RBZ line playing the 5w would make sense. Not sure if this answers your question but I'm pondering putting the 5W back in the bag.

I think this would work for many. 5 woods today may be as long as 3 woods some years ago. I use to carry a strong 4 wood a few years ago. It was the same loft as a 3 wood but in a 5 wood shaft length. It was a little easier at times to hit dead straight.

I have to disagree. Lots of hybrids in the bags of the worlds best players and it is not because they can't hit an iron. I have hybrids in my bag and it is not because I can't hit the irons they replaced. It is about ball flight and the added distance for those spots in my bag for me.

I have to disagree. Lots of hybrids in the bags of the worlds best players and it is not because they can't hit an iron. I have hybrids in my bag and it is not because I can't hit the irons they replaced. It is about ball flight and the added distance for those spots in my bag for me.

Lots of pros use them... yes. I was sharing my dad's opinion that players hit irons. I somewhat agree... the REAL players hit irons but lots of players hit hybrids for the reasons you stated.

I think this would work for many. 5 woods today may be as long as 3 woods some years ago. I use to carry a strong 4 wood a few years ago. It was the same loft as a 3 wood but in a 5 wood shaft length. It was a little easier at times to hit dead straight.

At the start of last season I had the 3,5,and a 7 in the bag and ventured towards the hybrids pulling the woods. Taking some lessons this year a first for me and may go back towards at least one or two FW woods if I can obtain some consistency.

Lots of pros use them... yes. I was sharing my dad's opinion that players hit irons. I somewhat agree... the REAL players hit irons but lots of players hit hybrids for the reasons you stated.

What is a "real" player?

I guess 70% of the PGA are not "real" players, nor is the world number 1. Who we might add has arguably the best iron game in the world.

I guess 70% of the PGA are not "real" players, nor is the world number 1. Who we might add has arguably the best iron game in the world.
exactly what I was thinking. Some strange things going on tonight haha. My 5 wood was a life saver a lot last year and isnt going anywhere in my bag.

exactly what I was thinking. Some strange things going on tonight haha. My 5 wood was a life saver a lot last year and isnt going anywhere in my bag.

It has been.

I pitty those with hybrids in staff bags.

I guess I will never be a real player I like hybrids.

Back