Have the fans at the WM taken it too far?

Oooof. That is pretty staggering where everything is up double or triple.
I guess in relation to number of people that were on site the numbers are small but still...it was clearly a problem this year and if they don't make it an elevated event next year I think players may start to avoid it based on what we are seeing and hearing.

Glad to see they are already discussing it. I get that the weather was crap but that is no excuse for fan behavior.
The weather wasnt crap last year and we saw the solo cups flying, so while I understand that it hit a fever pitch this year, I think its actually a bit of a scape goat.

Here are some numbers from Fox10 in Phoenix... its definitely getting worse ever year

View attachment 9242522
How bad does someone have to be to get arrested at a golf tournament. 211 got ejected and im sure their conduct was bad. I am also sure the Police would prefer to eject someone rather than arrest. Whats unfortunate is that this should be a fun event for all those who attend but idiots ( and i would guess not really golfers or golf fans ) act so bad the Police have no choice but to arrest them and it ruins an otherwise fun event for those who go to have a good time and enjoy the golf.

The weather wasnt crap last year and we saw the solo cups flying, so while I understand that it hit a fever pitch this year, I think its actually a bit of a scape goat.
I agree they are using that as a scape goat and they did the right thing on Saturday they had no choice or it could have been worse.

If someone hits a HIO on that hole in this tournament I have no issue with the solo cups flying. Some of the guys still enjoy the atmosphere but I've seen more complaints from the players this year and thats not good especially if they don't need to be there.

I "used" to like watching it, especially for the 15, 16, 17 18 finish, great set of holes......but, i hate the propensity of having to wait while they clean up 16 for the next group if the cans start coming down. Its jumped the shark, they need to reign it back in
just do what baseball does and put nets in front.

I agree they are using that as a scape goat and they did the right thing on Saturday they had no choice or it could have been worse.

If someone hits a HIO on that hole in this tournament I have no issue with the solo cups flying. Some of the guys still enjoy the atmosphere but I've seen more complaints from the players this year and thats not good especially if they don't need to be there.
Someone on sports radio just now equated this event with going to an Eagles game. #PhillyFan

I think if they worked on not over serving and were more liberal in removing the fans who are passed out drunk and pissing on themselves it would start to make changes.
When you are removing the guy passed out drunk, you also need to make sure he is safe once he is out of there, so along comes a buddy who is also being removed. I think that will help make others more accountable for their group if they want to stay.

Alcohol has a tendencie to produce assh*les

How bad does someone have to be to get arrested at a golf tournament. 211 got ejected and im sure their conduct was bad. I am also sure the Police would prefer to eject someone rather than arrest. Whats unfortunate is that this should be a fun event for all those who attend but idiots ( and i would guess not really golfers or golf fans ) act so bad the Police have no choice but to arrest them and it ruins an otherwise fun event for those who go to have a good time and enjoy the golf.
54 arrests and 211 ejections at a golf tournament. Those numbers are staggering. It's not a golf tournament with a party atmosphere. It's become a drunkfest that takes place at a golf tournament.

Alcohol has a tendencie to produce assh*les
It's more than just alcohol. It's also reduced norms of acceptable behavior for the day or for the event.

54 arrests and 211 ejections at a golf tournament. Those numbers are staggering. It's not a golf tournament with a party atmosphere. It's become a drunkfest that takes place at a golf tournament.
I was there when it was tame and just from the vibes you could tell it's a huge party that also has a golf tournament. That said... can't wait to go again. Just going on Thursday early.

Someone on sports radio just now equated this event with going to an Eagles game. #PhillyFan
Ooof.

It was a completed **** show and embarrassment... The videos I saw on IG were insane

All the this I can get.

Eliminate the silly suites -grandstands-stadium seating and the problem is removed.

Eliminate the silly suites -grandstands-stadium seating and the problem is removed.
So just lose revenue for tickets, hospitality, hotels, restaurants, rental cars, concerts, etc. Make it just another stop in a bloated PGA season during Super Bowl weekend and lose the natural tie in. Kill the TV viewership spike to see the antics on 16.

The players are glad you are not in charge of their money.

Hearing more about things they were letting anybody in on Saturday because they got bum rushed. They stopped checking tickets. They stopped checking credentials at the hospitality suites and people were getting free booze. There will be changes next year BUT it will still be the WMO. There will still be a party. People are going to love it and hate it. It is all good. They will not be dumb enough to eliminate the suites and grandstands.

Waste Management needs to make a statement. Yeah, another corporation will pay a ton if they bailed but make the point that the tournament is about golf, fun and charity. Keep it unique but impose alcohol limits like they do in the pro leagues, including private boxes. It will take a few years to get it back to what it was. What it can’t be is embarrassing.

So just lose revenue for tickets, hospitality, hotels, restaurants, rental cars, concerts, etc. Make it just another stop in a bloated PGA season during Super Bowl weekend and lose the natural tie in. Kill the TV viewership spike to see the antics on 16.
Yes!

Back