Have the fans at the WM taken it too far?

I really hope they make changes.
"They" dont need to make changes, people that go need to learn how to not being drunken idiots. Go, have fun, but be respectful of the event, the golfers, the venue and yourself.

"They" dont need to make changes, people that go need to learn how to not being drunken idiots. Go, have fun, but be respectful of the event, the golfers, the venue and yourself.
Unfortunately, in today's society and with the prevalence of social media, I don't see that happening. The yahoos are going to need "help" from external sources because they're not capable of controlling themselves.

No disagreement from me on that. Unfortunately, people excel at being drunken idiots and not being respectful and accountable.

No disagreement from me on that. Unfortunately, people excel at being drunken idiots and not being respectful and accountable.
Agreed. Most people are bumbling idiots that cant have nice things.

Unfortunately, in today's society and with the prevalence of social media, I don't see that happening. The yahoos are going to need "help" from external sources because they're not capable of controlling themselves.
It's the downfall of humanity. Too many people wanting "content or clicks" and we have seen the result of that.

I keep hearing the PGA tour claiming they need to grow the game. To help grow the game, the PGA tour needs to spice up their current product, which imo, is kind of boring. Couple that boredom with the higher costs in equipment, and playing fields, and the growing the game part takes a big hit. Obviously this topic is not about start up costs.

Did the fans in Phoenix go too far? Did things get out of hand? Absolutely. Security, or whomever didn't do their jobs to control the problem created by some if the fans.

That said, I think a very toned down version of the "party hole" at more PGA tournaments would be a positive step to take for the PGA tour in their quest to grow the game. I actually think a "party hole" on each 9 holes wouldn't be a bad idea.

There's ways limiting alcohol consumption per each adult in attendence. The local police, and fire depts have regulations in place to help with crowd control, and/or over crowding.

Some of my family members scored some raffled off tickets to the LIV tournament this past weekend. They told me even though the weather was iffy, they had a good, relaxing time in the laid back atmosphere.

I don't quite understand this take. At a PGA Tour event, or an LPGA Tour event, you stroll through the beautiful course, have some beverages, perhaps engage in some good conversation with friends or others, let your kids have some fun in the kid zones which are often present, and hang out and watch some incredible golf.

What needs to be more laid back about that? What is it people say is missing?

I don't quite understand this take. At a PGA Tour event, or an LPGA Tour event, you stroll through the beautiful course, have some beverages, perhaps engage in some good conversation with friends or others, let your kids have some fun in the kid zones which are often present, and hang out and watch some incredible golf.

People want to be idiots, get drunk and do stupid sh*t.

That presence isnt needed at a golf tournament.

I dont believe the idiots doing stupid crap at the WM are golf fans or enthusiasts, they are just part-goers.

They are missing something new and different.

I use to go to the Vegas pga, and lpga tour stop every year. Even worked at a couple of them. I quit going because it was the same old product.

I use to go to the pga/lpga Las Vegas tour stops every year. Even worked at a couple. After a while I quit going. It got old, since nothing changed.

Although I liked watching the golf shots, I found it easier to catch a few of those golf shots on tv.

The lpga quit coming to Vegas, I assume because there was no profit in it.

The pga stop has had several different sponsors over the years, presumably because of the lack of star power. Tiger won his first tournament here, but hasn't been back since to my knowledge. I know the purse is not big enough bring more top tier players in.

My point is, to grow the game like they say they want to do, the pga has to put a little more pizazz in their product. Enough of a change to bring new fans into the game. I just think 1, or 2 party holes added to more tour stops is not a bad idea, as long as they are done in a positive way.

Lol. The only thing changing is figuring out how to sell more booze to more people at more events without getting shut down.

"2022 WM PHOENIX OPEN INJECTS MORE THAN $450 MILLION INTO ARIZONA'S ECONOMY. An economic impact study conducted by Arizona State University found the 2022 WM Phoenix Open generated nearly a half billion dollars ($453.7 million) into the state of Arizona's economy.Feb 2, 2023"

Compared to:

"Greater Rochester Enterprise, an economic development organization focused on promoting the Rochester region as a competitive place for business location and growth, is projecting the 2023 PGA Championship will draw 225,000 spectators and have a $190 million impact on the region."

They even mentioned it on the telecast that this event isn't for every PGA player. Tiger only played once (2015) since 2001. It's hard to live in your own little cocoon for 4 days with everything going on around you.

So if the purse isn’t big enough ? Players won’t come …..

And now with the recent , collaboration with the PGA new partners more money will be available ? Bigger purses etc ….

That just leads to more selective tournaments for those in upper echelon …

Then there will be … such and such inst playing … “ l won’t go and watch “ and then you have gimmicks like this ….

Sometimes the purity of the product is what made so good for years …

You play the same courses ….. play different ones , new venues , talks about spreading the game , how bout playing in less than ideal weather .. add wind …

People want to be idiots, get drunk and do stupid sh*t.

That presence isnt needed at a golf tournament.

I dont believe the idiots doing stupid crap at the WM are golf fans or enthusiasts, they are just part-goers.

I agree with this take. Likely the crowd that's normally out in party cove on the lake on weekends they're not at the WM.

Absolutely they went too far. To be fair a few people said in the other thread that they don’t appreciate this kind of environment and I think there is a lot to be said about the middle ground. No one is saying they need the atmosphere of the Masters but we also don’t need the atmosphere of a freshman frat party. It was pointed out the tour doesn’t do well in the middle and deal mostly in extremes but you could dial it back a bunch and still have a great time that the people participating would enjoy more.

As long as there are no physical interactions between the fans and the players, i'm OK with pretty much anything. As others have said this happens only once a year and players don't have to attend. The tournament is wildly successful.

Having people yell things at you happens in literally every other sport. They can handle it for 1-2 days IMO

As far as the fan experience, if it's too much don't go....if more people don't go--it will change

Lol. The only thing changing is figuring out how to sell more booze to more people at more events without getting shut down.

"2022 WM PHOENIX OPEN INJECTS MORE THAN $450 MILLION INTO ARIZONA'S ECONOMY. An economic impact study conducted by Arizona State University found the 2022 WM Phoenix Open generated nearly a half billion dollars ($453.7 million) into the state of Arizona's economy.Feb 2, 2023"

Compared to:

"Greater Rochester Enterprise, an economic development organization focused on promoting the Rochester region as a competitive place for business location and growth, is projecting the 2023 PGA Championship will draw 225,000 spectators and have a $190 million impact on the region."
Went to the final day of the PGA and Friday of the WMO. Can’t even compare the 2 as Phoenix had many more times the people. These numbers make perfect sense after seeing both.

Sure some people went too far. However, this weekend was a perfect storm of chaos with the weather and some other factors. The PGAT should absolutely water down one of their most popular events. That is on brand. Mostly I wanted to write all of that so I could get to my main point that I am absolutely done with Zach Johnson.

It's the downfall of humanity. Too many people wanting "content or clicks" and we have seen the result of that.
Are people that insecure they need "clicks" to make themselves feel good? Oy vey...

As to the WM, my only problem with 16 is when they throw stuff onto the course. It's the one tournament of the year where the fans get seriously vocal. From interviews I've seen, the professionals who play in the WM embrace it. As a viewer, it also makes it fun to watch.

Are people that insecure they need "clicks" to make themselves feel good? Oy vey...

As to the WM, my only problem with 16 is when they throw stuff onto the course. It's the one tournament of the year where the fans get seriously vocal. From interviews I've seen, the professionals who play in the WM embrace it. As a viewer, it also makes it fun to watch.
Yes. Yes they are.

Here are some numbers from Fox10 in Phoenix... its definitely getting worse ever year

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 8.44.04 AM.png

I've only seem the IG Clips but it looked like a ... Special time... It's what they promote and encourage so no I don't think it went too far, but maybe this will evolve their tune a little for future events.

Increasing the number of attendees will naturally increase the number of idiots that attend, that's on the organisers more than anyone else.

This year probably went a little too far, I'm all for creating a more entertaining product (e.g. the carnage on 16), but Billy Horschel made a good point when he mentioned this is their jobs. Heckling during backswings and just a lack of respect for the players absolutely should and will be clamped down on.

I don't think it should be turned down completely, but there does need to be a line drawn in the sand. As with everything, the solution is probably somewhere in the middle of both sides of the argument.

Maybe they need to combine a Nascar like event with the WM and then a UFC and satisfy ALL the drunken idiots

I see it as a way of the PGA Tour becoming modernized. Would love to see more events like the WM.For the longevity of the game it is needed. Would like to see Augusta go to a format like this as well.

Back