How do you yell FORE??

I say it just loud enough people can hear me

How do you yell FORE??

I see no reason for including left or right. By the time a person figures out which side he is on, the ball has hit him. Particularly if he's facing the wrong direction, in the middle of playing a shot, or on a parallel hole. I just want anyone within range of my voice to duck and cover.

I yell fore loudly, and I have a voice that carries and penetrates well. It takes a pretty strong wind to blow my warning away, at least in the range of the typical player.

I like when the yelling party includes a direction. When I hear FORE I tend to get a good idea where the ball is coming from and protect myself. When they include a direction I can either relax or try and get behind something if they've called out my direction.

If I see that I hit a shot toward someone, I will yell "FORE *direction* as loud as I can. Like FORE RIGHT or FORE LEFT.
Honestly not sure if yelling a direction is going to help that much. While that direction helps you, if someone is left of you, and you yell FORE LEFT!, are they going to know to look right, or may they - as well - turn left looking for a ball that now is heading towards them from behind?

Me? I just yell Fore! as loud as I can and then slink back to my cart.

If I hear Fore! I just duck and protect my head.

Yup - loud as Hell; I'd hate for my ball to hit someone :/

If yesterday is any indication, I must yell pretty darn loud. I bladed a bunker shot directly at a foursome on another tee and the instant I screamed fore, they all ducked and looked my way. I then tried to yell to the same group to toss my ball back my way as I was picking up that hole for pace of play reasons. Even though I had walked half way to them by then, when I yelled for my ball to be returned, only one of the four heard me.

Loud enough for the person it's heading towards to hear me.

I really hate when someone yells FORE after the ball has already gotten to my vicinity. What purpose does it serve if you hear it after the ball hits you?

How do I yell fore?

Loudly and proudly after every shot (except putts). Never know when it's gonna go sprinkler head to cart path to human head so I like to be cautious.

I feel like a couple THP'rs not to be named should have yelled it a bit louder this past weekend thats for sure haha. *Cough* C-Mac *Cough*

This is pretty close to what I do on those rare occasions. Starts off low and ends pretty loud. Spot on here.

[video=youtube;7Ox0Ehq-FRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ox0Ehq-FRQ[/video]

I feel like as far as 'fore!!!' is concerned, I'm as good as anyone in the game.

Definitely wasn't a natural though. Time and repetition is what got me here.
Nickname approved ;)

Like someone said before me: I can use the diaphragm to yell. I'm not the quietest person in the world, but my FORE really startles people.

I try to yell the hole where my ball is heading (Fore hole 5!) if I know. Otherwise the generic Fore! will suffice.

On another note, what do you do when someone yells "Fore!"? Do you cover your head with your hands and turn away from the noise, or do you do what I see so many people do and look around to see where it is coming from?
Duck for cover, away from the sound. Unless it sounds like out of reach.

Also I forgot to mention: I hate it when people stand on my ball, put it in their pocket or throw it somewhere. I put the ball on a tee if they forgot to shout and I'll go and ask for apologies too.

"Fore right/left", loud as I can, and point, so there's no mistaking who I'm warning.

"Fore right/left", loud as I can, and point, so there's no mistaking who I'm warning.

You know... if they actually take the time to look back at you to see where you're pointing, they'll catch the ball in the face. Pointing is only relevant at a spectator event, because it's expected that the gallery is looking toward the player who is hitting. For casual golf it makes zero sense... even less sense than giving a left/right.

When I hear someone yell "FORE!", I sure as heck don't look around to see who's yelling or pointing, and I don't try to figure out whose left or right the ball is headed toward. I just duck and cover my head. Then I may try to see if I'm in the target area, although by then the ball has usually landed.

I yell it loud and without hesitation. If I know what hole it is, I yell that out as well.

I have been hit with a ball and I don't wish it on many people.

I try to give a good yell when I do it. But I sometimes hesitate if I don't know where the ball is going. Usually one of the other guys will yell when that happens though. haha

I yell fore good and loud. One time years ago even before I started golfing I yelled "FOOOOORRRRREEEEE" while going down the road about 45 mph in the passenger seat with the window down along one of the fairways of a private club and the foursome was duckin' for cover like nobodies business...until they saw me waving and laughing at them and then they promptly gave me the one finger salute. For some reason they didn't appreciate my warning voice. :confused2:

This is pretty close to what I do on those rare occasions. Starts off low and ends pretty loud. Spot on here.

[video=youtube;7Ox0Ehq-FRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ox0Ehq-FRQ[/video]

I think the only time that I've been close to being hit was on the first hole at my local muni. It's a blind landing area and they hadn't replaced the periscope yet after Hurricane Sandy did her course redesign. I almost hit a foursome from my club when we were on a trip to Florida in January. I accidentally hit a nice draw and had no idea that there could be people over there (first time at this course). They said it rolled up on them so I didn't feel quite as bad. I still apologized profusely and bought hot dogs and beers at the turn.

I yell Fore and generally stuck my arm out to indicate where the ball is headed for anyone that cares to look. I remember at my old course some of the older lady members where playing their Wednesday morning competition when a ball landed right at my feet. No shout of fore, no apology, nothing. She learnt some new words that day!

I drop my club, place my hands on the sides of my mouth to make a... hand-megaphone, and keep yelling "FORE!" as long as the ball is in the air and headed for anyone....

I have always wondered this and this thread is making me ask.... why or how did the ancestors of the game choose the word FORE as the official duck and cover warning, and is the word used by players in every nook and cranny of the non english speaking world?

FORE! (insert direction here)

Back