How firm should grip pressure be?

Renren89

Reaction score
Handicap
This is something I can never seem to figure out.

Everyone seems to say that you need to keep your grip fairly loose but when I was out on my last round I gripped a bit tighter on the last couple of holes and hit 2 of my longest drives of the year (although I did pull them badly left)

Just can't seem to figure out how it's supposed to be?

I have been told by several instructors to make it a lighter grip. One told me it's like holding a bird on your hands. To loose it flies away and too tight it will get crushed.

if pressure was on a scale of 1-10 then a 5-6.

How firm should grip pressure be?

Another comparison I've heard is pretend it's a tube of toothpaste with the cap off. You want to hold it tight enough to not drop it, but not so tight that the toothpaste squeezes out.

QUOTE=emart2173;4008607]I have been told by several instructors to make it a lighter grip. One told me it's like holding a bird on your hands. To loose it flies away and too tight it will get crushed.

if pressure was on a scale of 1-10 then a 5-6.[/QUOTE]

Another comparison I've heard is pretend it's a tube of toothpaste with the cap off. You want to hold it tight enough to not drop it, but not so tight that the toothpaste squeezes out.

I've always went with both if these thoughts and I was taught the holding the bird one long ago. Relaxed is the key.

If the club twists in your hand your holding it too loose, likewise if your knuckles turn white you're holding it too tight. It's not rocket science, stop overcomplicating it.

Take a normal grip on the club while holding it vertically. Grip it just tight enough to keep it from slipping out of your hands. Then lower into a normal swing position, should result in a proper grip pressure.

I grip as hard as I can. I just make sure there is no tension in my forearms.

Firm enough but not so firm my knuckles turn white.

One told me it's like holding a bird on your hands.
This saying was made popular by Sam Snead, who had extremely strong hands. I try to hold as firm as I can without creating unnecessary tension; sometime a bit more if I suspect the club might twist (rough, bad lie).

For me personally, I've found that a bit firmer of a grip works better for my swing. Too loose, and I can feel the clubhead twisting at impact, especially with the driver. I have backed down on the grip though since going to midsize grips, which feels a lot more comfortable to me when gripping.

Sam Snead said "Hold it like a baby bird".

Ben Hogan said "Sam forgot to tell you it was a baby Hawk!!"

Jack

Hold the club firm enough to keep hold of the club. But not so firm that you get tense.

I'm having trouble with my grip, I'm holding it to tight but i cant find a way to grip it any less without the fear of letting it go :( anybody got any tips/ drills to build up confidence?

Hold the grip like you're holding a little bird. Too hard and you crush itsbones. Too soft it will get away. It should feel safe.

You need to hold the club firm...The club swings at a good speed so you must keep the grip from moving around inside of your grip...You can hold the club very firm without putting tension on you forearms just try it... hold the club tight and swing back and forth you'll be able to feel your arms relax after a few swings...Most tour players hold the club very firm...You'll be more accurate holding firm...

You need to hold the club firm...The club swings at a good speed so you must keep the grip from moving around inside of your grip...You can hold the club very firm without putting tension on you forearms just try it... hold the club tight and swing back and forth you'll be able to feel your arms relax after a few swings...Most tour players hold the club very firm...You'll be more accurate holding firm...
I'm sorry most tour players do not hold the club very firm. Secure yed, but not very firm.

I'm having trouble with my grip, I'm holding it to tight but i cant find a way to grip it any less without the fear of letting it go :( anybody got any tips/ drills to build up confidence?
Have you every lost the club during your swing?

I'm sorry most tour players do not hold the club very firm. Secure yed, but not very firm.

Firm enough to keep the club from twisting on impact, correct?

Firm enough to keep the club from twisting on impact, correct?
Yes sir, with the index fingers, thumb and middle finger in each hand.

Have you every lost the club during your swing?
no, but im always afraid that one will come out of my hands if i grip any loser.

no, but im always afraid that one will come out of my hands if i grip any loser.
Your hands will naturally tighten during the swing. It's a reflex action

Your hands will naturally tighten during the swing. It's a reflex action
so at address lose and then as you swing you tighten it? (never had a lesson so haven't had a chance to ask someone who knows)

so at address lose and then as you swing you tighten it? (never had a lesson so haven't had a chance to ask someone who knows)
At adress the right arm.should be relaxed. Grip firm but not tight. You could even hold it loose and once you started the swing, you would crrate tension in the hands as you swung the club back.

At adress the right arm.should be relaxed. Grip firm but not tight. You could even hold it loose and once you started the swing, you would crrate tension in the hands as you swung the club back.
Thanks a lot for the advice, cant wait to get to the range to try it out!

You want to feel like you are grabbing a black bear's arse right before hibernation. You hang on too hard and you might get ya head bit off, you grab it just right, and you'll have a friend for life :thumb:

Back