How hard do you swing?

Ok, so you can hit 123 but control it at 112. Would 112 be your 100%. 123 with no idea where it's going is just a lash, would you agree?

123 is absolute 100% yes. 112 is controllable 100% yes. I never thought of it like that to be honest. So, I normally swing at 100% of a controlled swing with a driver. No reason to swing less than that in my mind. I have been hitting more fairways than I miss lately.

I take a pretty slow back swing and probably 80% on the downswing. I tend to slice when swinging wide open

The highest I've ever clocked my swing at is 117 MPH. The RPMs of sidespin was in the several thousands and my launch angle was like 28*. Not a swing I want to put into play. I regularly swing anywhere from 105 to 108 which is about 90% and it goes straight and far thanks. I hope it translated to the VS Proto in S well. If not, I need to invest in an X flex shaft and i-mix adapter.

As hard as I can and still think I'm going to find the ball. That's probably 90% of the scramble swing, which isn't anything to rely on. Toning it down that little bit seems to give me the best combination of solid contact and swing speed.

RX and Seth, its just something I've been thinking about. As hard As you can is no good but with control is great. The key is to find that maxed out SS with control and I would say that's your 100%

I would say about 75%. Control is much more important to me than trying to over swing and gain an additional 10 yards. I would rather hit an extra club and maintain tempo if I can.

I have some serious tempo issues.....

I swing as hard as I can. Now I'm just learning to control it when I'm swinging like that.

I swing hard, maybe 90%. I don't ever think about swinging hard, but my natural swing is pretty fast. I will frequently decide I need to slow down my swing and take a smooth swing for better results. Typically this leads to one round of good golf, and then my rhythm and timing gets all screwy and its all down hill. I can also wick it up and think about hitting the ball hard, but I tend to increase my number of fat and thin shots.

bad things tend to happen when i swing too hard so i need to constantly keep that in check.

RX and Seth, its just something I've been thinking about. As hard As you can is no good but with control is great. The key is to find that maxed out SS with control and I would say that's your 100%

I like this thread Mr. K. I guess the better someone gets, the faster their controlled 100% is.

I'm all about the slow controlled swing & keeping it on the fairway. I've developed a slow tempo backswing which helps alot. Short (my drive is 230-240) & straight ALWAYS beats long and in the woods. Plus, it's so much more fun playing from the fairways than the rough

If my swing were measured in gears with the maximum being 5th gear, I try to stay in 4th gear at all times knowing that I can go to the 5th gear if needed. I will say this, I played last weekend one day after playing in a tournament (over-swing mode) and shot the easiest round of -1 (71) that I've shot in a long time. I did so with about a 70% swing.

I'm thinking that the swing is at 85%.
I'm working on a slower take away and not coming out of my shoes on the down swing.
My last few rounds have shown improvement with these thoughts and application.

I'm in the 80-85% of what I can do. I consider that my stock shot. If I want to step on it, I can get up to 95% or so, if I need a little less I can back it down to 70-75% But what I try and control is my tempo and my grip position. I can feel through the shot if my tempo is getting quick and can tell by the resulting miss. But my "stock" shot is 80-85%.

I have really been focusing on trying to swing fast without swinging hard. Bad things happen when I swing hard. Like, figuring out who you have to bribe to keep quiet bad.

I tend to give it a bit more oomph with the driver than the irons.

Same for me. If I go too hard with the irons, I usually take a lovely divot -- several inches before hitting the ball.

Up until my back injury my swing was 100% with a backswing around 30%. Now, I have to mentally force myself to swing around 75%.

I'm probably at 80% or so. My only swing thought is "rhythm". Freddy Couples and Rickie Farrah Fowler have two different tempos, but they both hit it a mile. I'll take Freddy's syrupy swing any day....

Probably too hard... I've been trying to swing my new clubs slower, and have seen improved results.

I swing 80% and I make decent contact and distance with that, my friend swings 110% and tops the ball every time. . .

When I hear "swing hard" I think of total effort expensed. It is a subjective measurement. I know that I could definately put more effort into a swing, but it might not be as fast or accurate of a swing.

Back