How to Regrip Your Clubs

Good video. Heat gun is a good tip. Seems like common sense, but never thought of it for some reason... Interesting point on corded grips with air. I usually use solvent, but have used air a few times. Looks like I'll be saving that for the odd time I get one stuck.

The no air on corded grips makes a ton of sense. I use air for most of my grips but have not done any with full cord so i guess i am ok

The no air on corded grips makes a ton of sense. I use air for most of my grips but have not done any with full cord so i guess i am ok

It is not just full cord. Similar things happen with partial cord and even things like multi-compound.

This video makes me sad. I know he's right about the cord and the problems with using air.. But I'm way more into convenience and ease. Using solvent and I haven't always gotten along well. Air, at least I know I can piddle with it until I get it the way I want it.

Been waiting for this video to be released based on all of JB's teasers that came out last week. Building up my own grip workshop in the garage and saw a few things I need to get (hook knife and heat gun). Question: heat gun use on the tape still ok to do on graphite shafts? Assume so but just asking.

Also, anything you boys do to reuse the spirits once used? Any filter tricks that makes it easy for reuse? I can't believe I use to install grips free handed for this long without a vice. LOL. Why make it easier?? :D

It is not just full cord. Similar things happen with partial cord and even things like multi-compound.

I have put on Multi Compounds with Air in the past and can't say that i have heard that kind of cracking before I try to use as little are pressure as possible. I guess i will have to listen close next time i put them on

Been waiting for this video to be released based on all of JB's teasers that came out last week. Building up my own grip workshop in the garage and saw a few things I need to get (hook knife and heat gun). Question: heat gun use on the tape still ok to do on graphite shafts? Assume so but just asking.

Also, anything you boys do to reuse the spirits once used? Any filter tricks that makes it easy for reuse? I can't believe I use to install grips free handed for this long without a vice. LOL. Why make it easier?? :D

I'm a polymers guy, and that's outside of my specific areas of expertise, but I would be careful to use a very light touch with the heat gun, the same way as you would if you intended to reuse a shaft you removed from a clubhead. But putting a heat gun on a graphite shaft is not without risk, in my view. If i'm removing tape from a graphite shaft, I'm going to slog it out with solvent and no heat gun. That's just me being cautious and with steel shafts on my irons. I will say it will take a lot less heat to loosen the grip tape than it would to separate the shaft from the clubhead - a very light touch should be all that is required.

On a side note, Katrick and McGinnes were talking with a caller who wanted to buy some new wedges and save some money by reusing his Aerotech (graphite composite) shafts on his new heads. They told him a) there was a chance the shafts could not be reused once removed, and b) it might be cheaper to buy new Aerotech shafts and avoid the high labor costs associated with removing the shafts. They asked him what brand of wedges he was playing, and he said Mizuno, and they said he had a chance. They then said something like:

There's one wedge designer who was just inducted in to the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame, whose company's clubs are notorious for being very difficult to remove the shaft from the head.

I looked it up, and Bob Vokey was just inducted into the Canadian HOF. I have no firsthand experience with those clubs, and others may have a different experience than what K&M reported, but I thought I would note it here.

Yeah. You have to get that shaft fairly hot before you'll damage it. Just watch how hot you get it. If you can't touch the shaft, it's too hot. On the solvent, I just use a paint roller pan under the grip, filter it through a rag and put it back in the bottle.

This video makes me sad. I know he's right about the cord and the problems with using air.. But I'm way more into convenience and ease. Using solvent and I haven't always gotten along well. Air, at least I know I can piddle with it until I get it the way I want it.

What's funny is going through everything to get your clubs down to the enth degree of perfect and then the one contact point saying "I will go easy route"

I'm a polymers guy, and that's outside of my specific areas of expertise, but I would be careful to use a very light touch with the heat gun, the same way as you would if you intended to reuse a shaft you removed from a clubhead. But putting a heat gun on a graphite shaft is not without risk, in my view. If i'm removing tape from a graphite shaft, I'm going to slog it out with solvent and no heat gun. That's just me being cautious and with steel shafts on my irons. I will say it will take a lot less heat to loosen the grip tape than it would to separate the shaft from the clubhead - a very light touch should be all that is required.

On a side note, Katrick and McGinnes were talking with a caller who wanted to buy some new wedges and save some money by reusing his Aerotech (graphite composite) shafts on his new heads. They told him a) there was a chance the shafts could not be reused once removed, and b) it might be cheaper to buy new Aerotech shafts and avoid the high labor costs associated with removing the shafts. They asked him what brand of wedges he was playing, and he said Mizuno, and they said he had a chance. They then said something like:

There's one wedge designer who was just inducted in to the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame, whose company's clubs are notorious for being very difficult to remove the shaft from the head.

I looked it up, and Bob Vokey was just inducted into the Canadian HOF. I have no firsthand experience with those clubs, and others may have a different experience than what K&M reported, but I thought I would note it here.

I have pulled numerous shafts from vokey heads. They're no harder than any other clubhead that fits the shaft correctly.

A good video and that guy was very thorough in his explanation. I've been doing my own grips for years, but it never hurts to see if there is a new technique for re-gripping.

What's funny is going through everything to get your clubs down to the enth degree of perfect and then the one contact point saying "I will go easy route"

It's funny once you're informed that the "easy route" has a harmful effect on the grips. This video has me inclined to go with solvent, although should I be testing different grips, I may revert to air for quick evaluations, but not permanent mounting.

Speaking of the nth degree, I heard Bruce talk about GP allowing for a single wrap of tape. I'd be interested in having an expert like Bruce, instead oi a spreadsheet jockey like me, opine on how to allow for core diameter/butt diameter mismatches. In an extreme case, if you put a 0.58" core standard grip (0.90" OD) on a 0.65" shaft butt, you end up with a grip larger (0.947") than standard, but not by a straight addition of diameters and thicknesses (0.97"), because the grip wall stretches and gets thinner to fit over the shaft. My calculations say this example results in a grip about 2.4% smaller than theoretical, and a smaller mismatch of a 0.58" core and a 0.60" butt is still 0.8%, or about one wrap of grip tape.

Last edited:
Great segment. I need to get some mineral spirits for my next grip install. I have only changed my grips in this manner and I actually enjoy doing it this way. Definitely going to look into getting a vice for sure.

Keep up the great work.

I've always just removed the tape by hand. Will give the solvent a try for sure.

The way I've done it is to make a first pass of peeling, then using the solvent to attack any remaining tap and residue.

from regripping I have learned the following:

- old grips = old tape = way harder to remove. If I change 1 year old grips, the tape comes off with little trouble. The corollary to this is that Taylor Made drivers / fairways / hybrids seem to have the crappiest and thinnest tape on the OEM grip that is always a complete nightmare to get off cleanly.
- I am super OCD about grip alignment. I usually make a small sharpie alignment mark on the shaft before removing the old grip so as I am pushing grips on I don't have to sit there and eyeball the alignment to the head.

True, but it also comes down to being able to fix things too. If I mess up an air blown grip, it's an easy fix. I tape it on there and it's wrong, I'm SOL. Easy, but also easy to fix. They're spot on though about the grip's condition though especially when it comes to stretching them out a bit too much when using air. Sometimes you can tell afterwards if it's been an older grip, it takes a while to settle in.

Maybe it's just me but it's almost like doing it with air is too easy.........I want to go through the entire process of tape, liquid, alignment and recycling of the spirits for some odd reason. therapeutic? Who knows.

Great video! I pretty much do the same as the video. I have been changing my own grips for quite a while.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

True, but it also comes down to being able to fix things too. If I mess up an air blown grip, it's an easy fix. I tape it on there and it's wrong, I'm SOL. Easy, but also easy to fix. They're spot on though about the grip's condition though especially when it comes to stretching them out a bit too much when using air. Sometimes you can tell afterwards if it's been an older grip, it takes a while to settle in.

Watch till the end. That is one of the benefits of not using air. The ability to fine tune is much greater with this method.

Very cool video. I used to use compressed air to remove grips, til I had one blow up. :D
Get a bag club divider (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068P4UQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_9dZGzbRFJ4D1V), cut it down to size and slide it over the grip before you apply air, the grip does not balloon, or explode. Easy on off!

I have had no issues using air on all grips...just my experience.
Good idea. I accidentally found that the diameter of our pool skimmer pole was perfect. So I lopped off a foot and it works great!

Yeah it is. One of the reasons for us going up there and shooting this one is because of the horror stories we are hearing as of late. After doing some digging, we wanted the most complete regripping video out there and I think Bruce nailed it.

Is this the horror story you mention? Blown grips?

FWIW I'll likely never do it the 'right' way. I can regrip my entire set before that video ends. I've never had one slip. I've never blown a grip (see above). And if you like Lamkins like I do, they have incredible sales all the time and you can save more money than you think you'll ever blow by not doing it the right way and stretching them out; which I've never even thought of, nor noticed.

Good idea. I accidentally found that the diameter of our pool skimmer pole was perfect. So I lopped off a foot and it works great!

Is this the horror story you mention? Blown grips?

FWIW I'll likely never do it the 'right' way. I can regrip my entire set before that video ends. I've never had one slip. I've never blown a grip (see above). And if you like Lamkins like I do, they have incredible sales all the time and you can save more money than you think you'll ever blow by not doing it the right way and stretching them out; which I've never even thought of, nor noticed.
I have a guy that does all my gripping...his name is T0AD. I help by standing out of his way while he works.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a guy that does all my gripping...his name is T0AD. I help by standing out of his way while he works.

Ever had a grip slip? Seem stretched? Takes about 30 seconds, right?

Ever had a grip slip? Seem stretched? Takes about 30 seconds, right?
Never at all!! And 30 seconds is about spot on.

Good vid - interesting about air grips and cords - it is tough to line up each cord with air ....

Back