I’m debating playing 5 wedges 👀

I like the blue.... and I've had the same ponder given I've really started using wedges for less than full swings so having that versatility could be beneficial..... I've just not had a chance to swing much or play at all, but I will get there eventually....

I don't use higher than 57 - makes no sense to me hahaha
you hit the ball to the moon high. You might actually hit yourself in the face. Me? not so much

you hit the ball to the moon high. You might actually hit yourself in the face. Me? not so much
Wow, I don't know that I've ever even put into thought the idea that a 62 is in the bag for full swings haha

that's how far departed I am from the thought haha

Wow, I don't know that I've ever even put into thought the idea that a 62 is in the bag for full swings haha

that's how far departed I am from the thought haha
62 for full swings? I didnt say it would be for full swings....lol.

I say drop the 3 add the wedge.
I guess this is my point. Its not that i cant hit the 3i. In fact its the opposite. I hit it quite well. But.....Im not sure why i need the versatility on the top end.

First and foremost I’m buying new wedges. Vokey SM8s (more than likely Slate blue. My current setup is the following:

Mizuno MP20 - 46 degrees
Bridgestone XW1- 52
Bridgestone XW1- 56
Bridgestone XW1 - 60

on the top end of the bag:

Drover
3 wood
3i MP 20 HMB
4i MP 20 HMB

In evaluating the top end, although the 3/4i are laser beams, there is basically no need or very little need for me to carry a 3i. I’d guess I hit it maybe once a round or off the tee from time to time.

so, why not pull it an role with the following setup:

46* PW: Mizuno MP20
50*Vokey SM8 Slate blue
54* Vokey SM8 Slate blue
58* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue
62* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue

I could easily swap out the last wedge and throw in a hybrid or the 3i when need be.

thoughts??

I play 5 too if you count PW and GW as wedges, then 52, 56, 58

FWIW it would be a rare round if I did not use all of them. And if so it would probably be the 58 which I use solely for green side bunkers.

Heck, even if you count my set PW and GW, I only carry three wedges. I can’t figure out how to use. Y one real wedge well enough to even contemplate buying more.

I am all for options, but I think that many wedges for me would be confusing.

I was doing it briefly but tbh once I got wedges with the right versatile grinds I went back to 4:
PW

I was going to add in a 58 or maybe even drop the 64 and then replace with the same type 58 but I'm worried that it won't be as good as the 64 which is automatic.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have done very similar to my setup. I removed the top of the bag because I found I was rarely using a my fairway woods. I like to have more options for full swings in closer to the green and around the green.

The setup you are considering will give you a ton more options to get creative around the green.

Ive seen them and held them in hand. Ive made my decision lol. These are nice. I want performance not necessarily conformity

I play the MP T20 - had them longer in my bag than Vokeys, and I like Vokeys. But the MP T20 in Raw? Tough to beat for a blade wedge.

Good luck with however long the Slate Blue lasts.

I'd leave the 62 out of the bag until you play small, baked greens. I've done the 62 before. Didn't last. I go 54, 59.

I could honestly play with nothing higher lofted than a 54* in my bag. I would be in trouble if I didn't have anything between a 3 wood and a 4 iron. My 2 stock shots with a 62* would be hitting myself in the forehead with a pop up and blading it 40 yards over the green on a 10 yard pitch.

I do like the gapping although I’m not sure about the 62 as you can open up the 58 and do so much with it but whatever floats your boat. If you have room in the bag for it and you will use it more than your three iron them what the heck, go for it.

Not sure swapping for a hybrid solves anything.....still would barely hit it. Its not an issue of playability in the 3i. Its an issue of actually ever using a spot in my bag there....

If your not using it, pull it and put something in that you use. I pulled my 5 iron at my home club after playing there the first year and realizing that I had only hit it once the whole summer. It goes back in the bag for courses that have 195ish yard par 3’s and I’ll pull my 4 iron or 3 iron depending on what the course demands. My home course has a par 3 that plays in that 205-235 range so I need the 4 iron and 3 iron in my bag for that hole and often on second shots on par 5’s. I also use my 4 iron off the tee almost every time on a short dogleg par 4 at my home course. Four wedges are enough more me but I know several guys that carry 5 including one of the assistant pros at our club.

Last edited:
Gonna have to provide some more context. You know how far i hit the ball. Im starting to feel the same thing you just said about the top end. So, why not provide even more versatility and options where so many damn shots come from?
It’s a good problem to have I guess. If we are talking full swing clubs than I guess I can get on board. If just adding more clubs what purpose do they serve unless you are going to have different grinds for different types of shots maybe?

For me it probably wouldn't work, but this is about you. I actually think it would be fun to see how much you use each one after about a month of play.

I guess this is my point. Its not that i cant hit the 3i. In fact its the opposite. I hit it quite well. But.....Im not sure why i need the versatility on the top end.

Look at the course you’ll be playing. You could keep the 3i and leave out the 4i if it’s more help that day. Probably a better gap between 3w and 5i anyways.

Enjoy man! Hope to tee up with you this year!

Why not :mizuno: wedges?
Edit, you just replied why.
Are the mizuno wedges no good then?
I’m going to give them a try!
The Mizuno wedges are excellent, especially if you play in any wet/dew conditions (y)

Lots of great options out there, can’t go wrong really.

Personally I dont think any of us mere mortal amateurs have any use or skill level to warrant playing that many wedges. You know your game more than any of us to justify whether or not its needed. I have the same challenge with clubs not being used at the top of the bag. I used my 3w maybe 5x last year and it was never out of necessity, purely just bc I haven't used it in a while

a 62 is a very hard club to master. My advice would be to get the 58 and 62 in completely different grinds and bounce. Obviously the 50 is for full swing but it depends what you plan on using the 54 for? Id say 50 F , 54 D , 58 K , 62 M

D grind is my personal favorite. Very easy to open up and its been my go to around the greens yet easy to hit even 90% swings. I play 54 D and 58 M. covers everything I need and all conditions

I considered it at one point, but for me it was easier and honestly more fun to learn to be more versatile in hitting different shots with what I had to cover the gamut I needed to.

And it works for you? This was my thought. Although i wouldnt throw out the 3w.
It does. My thinking was less half shots with the wedges. I have a certain distance I know each wedge generally goes and it allows me to take more normal swings on approach shots instead of from this distance I need a 3/4 Gw and trying to take off just the right amount.

Top of the bag transitions fine for me as well. I don't have any glaring gaps where it hinders what I would like to do.

Not sure swapping for a hybrid solves anything.....still would barely hit it. Its not an issue of playability in the 3i. Its an issue of actually ever using a spot in my bag there....

I guess that’s how I feel a 62 would be? Do you just want to hit yourself in the face more? Do you shortside yourself enough around the greens where you feel you hate yourself enough to need that loft over opening your 60?

Given the stronger lofts of clubs, I play 6 wedges:

PW: 41º
AW: 46º
GW: 50º
SW: 54º
LW: 58º
LW: 62º

The PW used to be my 8-iron loft, the AW my 9-iron, and the GW close to my PW loft. So if these were traditional lofts I would only have three wedges.

First and foremost I’m buying new wedges. Vokey SM8s (more than likely Slate blue. My current setup is the following:

Mizuno MP20 - 46 degrees
Bridgestone XW1- 52
Bridgestone XW1- 56
Bridgestone XW1 - 60

on the top end of the bag:

Drover
3 wood
3i MP 20 HMB
4i MP 20 HMB

In evaluating the top end, although the 3/4i are laser beams, there is basically no need or very little need for me to carry a 3i. I’d guess I hit it maybe once a round or off the tee from time to time.

so, why not pull it an role with the following setup:

46* PW: Mizuno MP20
50*Vokey SM8 Slate blue
54* Vokey SM8 Slate blue
58* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue
62* Vokey SM8 Slate Blue

I could easily swap out the last wedge and throw in a hybrid or the 3i when need be.

thoughts??

Where is @Wildcat4life to sing the praises of the 62?

Back