Idea for testing/equipment threads

bahester

Follow me: @bahester
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
Just an idea, feel free to tell me I'm dumb if you think this is stupid.

As I was going through some really long threads I had an idea that I thought may be helpful, may not be helpful. For most of the testing threads and even threads about equipment in general (J40 dpc, Callaway hex balls, etc) they get INCREDIBLY long. Eventually it becomes really hard to keep up and it can be a real pain to try and find specific information if you don't have an hour to sit down and parse through every single page of a 75+ page thread.

So I was thinking maybe on the threads we could have a volunteer or two for each thread that would update the very first post with summaries and specific posts from testers and key contributors to each thread. Of course they would be cited and credit given to the original poster but that way you have multiple options when going into a thread...if you're looking for quick information about something, you can check the summaries for it there. If you want to read the whole thread to see what every single person says, you can still do that too.

I realize as a past tester it really makes you feel good when people browse through the whole thread and comment on what a great job you did, and ask you questions. I still absolutely feel this would happen, as most of us at THP are very in depth and like to keep up with things. Anyways, just my thoughts as I was trying to find some quick info and a thread and I'm having to scan through page upon page to find what I'm looking for.

Quick example for first post(using the Hex ball thread). Ps. Completely fictional reviews, just doing this for sake of time:

Post by user 1 comparing Hex chrome to Titleist Pro V1
Spoiler
I like them. They are balls. Chrome go far. Titleist go short.

Post by user 2 comparing Hex black to Bridgestone B330
Spoiler
I saw very similar performance between the black and 330. I thought the black was a tad bit farther off the tee, but the durability of the 330 really impressed me much more.

Post by user 3 commenting on greenside performance between the chrome and black
Spoiler
Today during my round I played 5 shots a piece from the same spot with the black and chrome. The black felt much better to me, however results don't lie. Using the same chipping method, I averaged a distance of 4' from the hole with the chrome as opposed to 6.5' away with the black. The chrome checked better for me, while the black seemed to have a little more rollout. I'll be doing some more testing.

Post by user 1 again commenting on driver spin with the Hex black
Spoiler
Today I hit driver 14 times using the Hex Black. I found reduced sidespin when compared to my old ball (Titleist pro V1) and seemed to average a few more yards off the tee. I hit 12/14 fairways so I was very happy. The ball flight of the Black seems to be a tad bit lower as well, and is more penetrating than my old Titleist ball. More to come!

Again, this may seem like a dumb idea but I just thought I'd see what you guys think. I know there's a "search" function for threads but it can really be a pain in the ass when the same word or phrase is being used 200 times in one thread. Then you're right back where you started. In theory the first post could contain anywhere from 5-20 posts, summaries, or key reviews by THP equipment testers and other people who are also testing on their own. I think it would be a great resource not only to THP, but people who are reading our threads on the internet and aren't yet THP members.

Feel free to call me dumb. I can't emphasize it enough.

You are dumb. I think its a great idea, but you gave me permission to call you dumb, so I figured I might so well take advantage.

Tapin for bird

You are dumb. I think its a great idea, but you gave me permission to call you dumb, so I figured I might so well take advantage.

Tapin for bird

Haha, you beat Frank so well played sir.

If you want to find the posts that are actually reviews by the testers, go to "Today's Posts" or anywhere else where it says "Replies: XXXX", where X is a number. You can click on the number and a list will come up with everyone who has ever posted in the thread and how many posts they have in the thread. Click on the number by the tester's name and you will see all of their posts.

Your idea is not stupid at all, but would be a nightmare for someone to do I would think. The only persons who could update the first post of a thread would be the first poster (who is usually JB in the review threads) or any of the moderators or admins. And I know I don't want to volunteer for this duty!

If you want to find the posts that are actually reviews by the testers, go to "Today's Posts" or anywhere else where it says "Replies: XXXX", where X is a number. You can click on the number and a list will come up with everyone who has ever posted in the thread and how many posts they have in the thread. Click on the number by the tester's name and you will see all of their posts.

Your idea is not stupid at all, but would be a nightmare for someone to do I would think. The only persons who could update the first post of a thread would be the first poster (who is usually JB in the review threads) or any of the moderators or admins. And I know I don't want to volunteer for this duty!

I don't really think it would be a nightmare. I think it would be a volunteer thing. I forgot that only the person who made the post could edit it though, darn. Well, that puts a damper on things. My idea basically would go as having 2-3 volunteers per thread that are going to be in there anyways that could pull reviews and writeups to put on the first page for easy access. It could be like a weekly or even bi-weekly thing. Wouldn't have to be like daily or anything crazy like that.

I also had no idea you could search like that. That's awesome. This thread is pretty much pointless now, DARN!

Dumb idea, move along.

This thread is pretty much pointless now, DARN!

...except for the fact that others will also learn you can search that way!

I had no idea, that's actually very useful.

Dumb idea, move along.

I'm going to beat you with my new Nike clubs. Then steal your golf bag. Suck on that Franklin

...except for the fact that others will also learn you can search that way!

I had no idea, that's actually very useful.

Glad I could be useful some way!

Yeah, Smalls good shortcut. Any others?

What if each tester posted on the first page, and edited their own post with links to their new reviews as they added them?

What if each tester posted on the first page, and edited their own post with links to their new reviews as they added them?

Could work too. Not a bad idea. It's just really hard to sort through 70+ pages of information to try and find what you're looking for. If it was all in one place where you could click on it or open it in a spoiler IMO it would be so much easier for those people searching for specific information.

Do it like Jman and put a link to each review in your reviews.

Learned a new way to check things out within a thread though, 4me anyway.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Do it like Jman and put a link to each review in your reviews.

I do. But deep in the thread that still gets lost in the mix. If the testers have front page posts to update, it could be like a quick table of contents.

Sounds like a lot of maintenance and a headache. Smalls has some great advice about seeking the poster and replies I'm gonna have to try that.

I do. But deep in the thread that still gets lost in the mix. If the testers have front page posts to update, it could be like a quick table of contents.

Yep..this man understand what I'm talkin about!

I have been thinking about this, too. Great thread bahester. I was thinking the reviewers should be given their own thread where they can add reviews and thoughts and a second thread can be created where everyone else can post and chime in with their opinions and questions. I understand that there would be two threads about the same item, but I don't think it would be too big of a deal.

Glad I could be useful some way!

It was smalls that was useful. Don't steal someone else's some credit.
You two are something else. I don't know what else, but something.

That would be tough too, actually. Not everyone is on the forum when the thread is started, and usually someone gets their testing right away and then people start asking questions.

Also the first page could be any number of posts, depending on how you have it set up. It could be 5, 10, 15, 20 or 30.

I think any ideas that may spur some improvement are good, but they're not all doable from a forum standpoint. Having multiple threads really isn't an option. I like the idea of the reviewers updating their first post with links, but I think it needs to be left up to them to choose if they want to do it. I think Jman's method is pretty helpful as well, though I understand why some may feel that it's daunting to tear into a testing thread.

I'm in favor of keeping it the way it is.

I think any ideas that may spur some improvement are good, but they're not all doable from a forum standpoint. Having multiple threads really isn't an option. I like the idea of the reviewers updating their first post with links, but I think it needs to be left up to them to choose if they want to do it. I think Jman's method is pretty helpful as well, though I understand why some may feel that it's daunting to tear into a testing thread.

No doubt. It would definitely require a little more work, but like I said, I think having it be totally optional and voluntary would work. If you don't want to do it, fine. But I know plenty of testers that I think would put in the extra effort. Also what do you mean by multiple threads? I'm confused.

It was from a post before mine that suggest separate threads for each tester.

I think each individual updating their first post is a good idea for easy navigation.

Back