purely for competition, someone who complements my game. can bomb it off the tee, and chips well. usually i can fill in the gaps.

purely for enjoyment, someone that doesn’t take the game or themselves too seriously. someone who likes to laugh and doesn’t mind some good natured sarcasm. someone who engages with everyone around them, celebrating the good shots, laughing with the bad (not at), and living in the moment making memories.

i’ve been blessed to have some good ones. @jmix18 and i sure had a hell of a good time at tpc sawgrass stadium course day 1 of the 2022 victory cup with mizuno. we were cartners rather than playing partners, but from an enjoyment standpoint he perfectly fit the bill for me.

Yeah, for sure.

The look on JB's face when he was just talking to the forecaddie and like handing out business carts TO THIS DAY makes me crack up. Or when he was going to hit and he's just being loud in the background.

I can't describe how much fun I had and how grateful I was to be able to have just that small group there. It was the greatness.
That was a really fun few days for sure

Somebody who's fun to be around (a sarcastic and twisted sense of humor is a plus), keeps up with pace of play, and understands why we're there and what we should be doing. Doesn't get too spun up over their game and is able to laugh their mistakes off and not apologize for them. And who doesn't get frustrated with a partner who occasionally forgets how to play golf and hacks the ball all over the course. :LOL:

Last edited:
Everybody keeps saying plays fast. I assume that is to make up for their slow pace :)

dang, i forgot that one. for sure i want someone who keeps pace.

Someone that can have fun, likes vodka and or White Claws 😂

As far as a golf skill set? Good driver of the ball and decent short game.

I like someone that chats some. I can get quiet and focus and someone that chats some helps me stay loose.

In golf terms give me someone who's accurate off the tee. Long and accurate is nice but especially in shamble I'd be perfectly happy with someone who finds the fairway even if it is a little short. That allows me to swing for the fences. I'm wild but if we're safe I can let it rip and possibly put is in great position.

In general, I want someone out there to have fun. Music on a speaker enhances a round for me so give me that guy. Lastly someone who's pretty even keeled, I tend to get up or down depending on my play. If my partner can help me from getting too high or low it'll be a good thing.

For Alt Shot definitely someone who doesn't get fazed of playing from anywhere on the course, fairway, bunkers and surrounding woods included. Yes, I can be erratic with my shots. For Shamble, as I said in the other thread, someone who consistently keeps it on the short stuff.

But way above that, is someone who likes to compete, but just enjoys everything that's happening with a smile and a laugh. Who gets exited (and even bear hugs 😆) When we succees, but just laughs off encouragingly when we (I) fail. An opposite of a Richard.

Sense of humor, and a few beers smuggled in their bag…

Someone who is always positive, willing to banter about and talk about shots, likes music, won't take the competition toooooo seriously, can shake off a bad hole, and appreciates the experience and people more than anything else.

that you? 🤣🤣

Someone level who doesn’t live and die with every shot/hole. Someone who wants to do well but doesn’t care about the outcome. Other than that someone I can talk to and BS with because since we’re both ahead of pace there’s a lot of downtime.

Great attitude and better short game ;)

Quite honestly in a THP event I am happy to have a partner that I can have a good time with. @Golfers Anonymous was a load of fun to play with and we fed off each other well. There are some sweet prizes in some of the events to play for but realistically if you are in an experience you already fell like you won. The only person I would have a hard time with is someone that was a complete richard. Other than that go out and have a good time, hit some good shots, and make fun of yourself.

In chewing on this for a bit - in all things golf, it's really about just being able to have a good time weather or not the round is going well. It's all too short to be caught up in the rigamarole of the round to not work to enjoy it regardless of how well or poorly you're playing. Loved each and every one of my VC mates and would play a round with them again at any time.

Everybody keeps saying plays fast. I assume that is to make up for their slow pace :)
I like playing faster than my opponent. It puts the pressure on them.

Someone that doesn't have sensitive ears and doesn't take anything too seriously.

Selfishly, I like to play scramble/shamble formats with somebody that hits it a long way.

Mostly though, I remember the company. I have been fortunate to play with some great guys over the years.

Just folks that like golf for the sake of golf and enjoy being on the course. I reckon “skills wise” I like when I’m the weaker one in the group, always play better that way.

Just give me someone I'm gonna have a good time with. If they can golf pretty good, all the better.

A patter who has the attitude of Conan… To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!”

Just kidding of course. Someone fun to play with. The goal is to laugh the whole round about something, be it jokes or laugh at our bad shots.

Shamble - I like someone who hits a longer ball off the tee.

Alt Shot - I like someone who has a similar ball flight to me.

I want a good dude who likes to have fun. Doesn't get too high or low during the match. Plays fast!
Wow! It’s like you wrote that for me. I am absolutely some of those things.

This was a topic in one of our THP Experience threads and I thought it would do well as its own.
Let's say you are in a THP Experience Team Event (most of them) and its a shamble or Alt Shot format.

What are you looking for in a partner?

For competition purpose: A partner that actually wants to partner - reading lines, sharing advice, decision making, etc
  • For the Alt Shot - 2 most important things are a partner that keeps it in play and willing to get back into play
  • For the Shamble - Long hitter off the tee - in my current decrepit state I need to not have 200yds into every green!

For interpersonal purpose: A partner that enjoys the fun in the competition, and willing to grind, but finds the fun in the grind. And someone that makes sure to enjoy the course, the design, the surroundings and a cocktail or 2!

Someone that’s able to have a good time regardless how they are playing. Want them to be able to focus on the job at hand. Be ready to play when it’s their turn. Not a Billy Ho type preshot routine.

Back