January Fitness Challenge

So far so good on my goals. 5 days into the new year I have played 3 days and completed my golf workout the other two days. Looking forward to another golf workout tonight.

Have only been doing weights for fitness since I stopped playing rugby, now that I'm taking up golf I will be adding a lot of stretching back into the routine.

Also walking the executive courses lol

I've gotten back strict on my diet and my 8 year old daughter wants to run a 5k so we have been running together. I hate running..

peloton delivered and set up. Lets goooooooo
My brother and sister in law got one in December and apparently you need to build up a seat callus! Would love to hear your thoughts on the Peloton.

Side note I am now on day 5 of hitting my steps goal because I got on the treadmill.

And added this to the exercise area to make it more tolerable. Upgrading from a 32 inch to 50. 1BED72A7-9071-4E00-977A-77F17C99869A.jpeg

Speed trading and work out complete. Have not felt like working out the past 2 days but I did it anyway. Maybe the eating healthy is gonna be an adjustment.

My brother and sister in law got one in December and apparently you need to build up a seat callus! Would love to hear your thoughts on the Peloton.

Side note I am now on day 5 of hitting my steps goal because I got on the treadmill.

And added this to the exercise area to make it more tolerable. Upgrading from a 32 inch to 50. View attachment 8921310
Definitely need to build up that ass haha. Cycling makes it hard to walk for a few days if you aren’t used to it.

as for the bike itself, I enjoyed my first workout, but you absolutely need cycling shoes. I wasn’t able to get them tonight and I spent half the time trying to keep my feet on.

Managed to hit all 3 apple watch goals again yesterday, thats 2 in a row! One more and we can call it a streak

Definitely need to build up that ass haha. Cycling makes it hard to walk for a few days if you aren’t used to it.

as for the bike itself, I enjoyed my first workout, but you absolutely need cycling shoes. I wasn’t able to get them tonight and I spent half the time trying to keep my feet on.

Do yourself a huge favor and go buy some cycling shorts or bibs. You will thank me later on for this. It makes cycling so much more comfortable!

I can hardly walk today after my session yesterday. 4 sets of lunges off of a small curb holding 30lb dumbbells. Staying on track with the 3 days a week so i am happy. I will also be walking my next rounds as i need to get use to that.

Keeping the streak alive, save for 1/1. Been alternating between cardio, rock climbing, and yoga.

Keeping the streak alive, save for 1/1. Been alternating between cardio, rock climbing, and yoga.

Took yesterday off, and probably will through the end of the week as I'm coming down with the bug that the wife had over the holidays.

Better this week then next when I hit Pinehurst. I might get back into it Thursday, but we'll see.

Took yesterday off, and probably will through the end of the week as I'm coming down with the bug that the wife had over the holidays.

Better this week then next when I hit Pinehurst. I might get back into it Thursday, but we'll see.
Get better bud! It is that time of year!

A 30 and a 15 minute ride in tonight on the new peloton. Really digging it so far and the live classes are an awesome in home workout feature to have

So I’ve been running again since the start of the year, but have really lost interest. Maybe it’s the slight weight gain, but I feel I’ve lost almost a 1:30 per mile.
On the fence if I need to pull out the old Insanity DVD’s for some variation.
Thoughts?

I actually hit my exercise goal today, let's gooo!!!

One thing I noticed, after taking a month off, the rower felt awful today. Nothing like I was feeling after 20+ days on it. Need to take that as momentum to get back to it.

3 days in a row so far. Time to decide if a gym is the right move or find a new home workout program

I ended the year in good order. I dropped about 10 lbs from November through December and am committed to dropping another 10-15. I think 205-210lbs will be my ideal weight. I have been working on a new concept for training as I am over 50 now and need to be smarter about my fitness and diet. (I trained very hard when I was in college and even did crossfit for awhile about 5 years ago. When I push myself that hard now, I tend to get injured easily and don't bounce back or see the results like before. So I am taking a step back from killing myself in the gym to work on a smarter way to get fit and feel more vital.)

Thesis:
Detox, clean diet, and recovery are more important than active training.

Being sedentary while eating processed foods full of chemicals weighs down the body's ability to recover as it has to deal with the added stress on the organs (liver, kidneys, adrenal system, etc), not to mention the addition of sugar and other inflammatory stressors and empty calories. What does this mean?
1) Clean diet. Stick to real, whole foods the majority of the time. There are many diets that are fine and what works best for you is what is important. When you do this more often, a cheat meal from time to time will not weigh you down as much as your body can clean out faster.
2) Eat less. We need to take long breaks from eating to facilitate the bodies ability to detox. Combine this with a clean diet and you are reducing stress on the body. This is why intermittent fasting is getting so much attention. A good rule of thumb is to eat only during daylight hours and keep late night snacking to a min.
3) Move more. While a hard workout is great, we need plenty of time to recover from these. What is seldom mentioned these days is that moving, in addition to cardiovascular benefits, also "turns on" the lymph system. The lymph system is responsible for detoxing the body. This does not require strenuous effort. Simply walking a mile will go a long ways to turning on the lymph system. Keep this in mind between your harder workouts and try to move enough on a daily basis to keep the body detoxing.
4) Add supplements back to your diet humans have historically gotten from their diet that we tend to be depleted in. Magnesium, potassium, glucosamine, HLA (hyaluronic acid), B vitamins, zinc, etc. I do more than these, but some of these are very important to help the body recover.

Exercise:
I do weights about 3 days per week and focus on 2 to 3 heavy lifts each time and 2 to 3 higher rep exercises to round out the routine. On the heavy lifts I do around 5 sets with 5 to 8 reps max per set. If I can do more than 8, then I add weight. If I can't get 5, then I drop. I also will make sure I add about 20 to 30 minutes of low intensity cardio on these days.

On other days, I will either do HIIT workouts combined with abs or do some extended cardio work. I like intervals to keep it interesting and also plan to start adding in some yoga this year as I tend to have serious low back issues.

Anyway, this is my new protocol for 2020 that I have been working on for awhile and I am seeing some major improvements in energy, sleep and overall fitness and I am not feeling the need to kill myself in the gym any longer.
This is awesome! You have done your homework but not surprising for you. Agree with just about everything you said. Changed my diet up last September and got on the Keto wagon. I think the IF (intermittent fasting) has been really good for me, going 16-18 hours every couple of days throwing in a 36 hour fast every 6-8 weeks. Did good during Thanksgiving then Christmas hit and indulged for a few weeks. Got on the scale this AM and amazingly on the weight that I was at before Christmas. Working in some weights now but walking the dog 3-4 miles every few days seems to have really helped. You were already a machine before but good luck with the plan!

This is awesome! You have done your homework but not surprising for you. Agree with just about everything you said. Changed my diet up last September and got on the Keto wagon. I think the IF (intermittent fasting) has been really good for me, going 16-18 hours every couple of days throwing in a 36 hour fast every 6-8 weeks. Did good during Thanksgiving then Christmas hit and indulged for a few weeks. Got on the scale this AM and amazingly on the weight that I was at before Christmas. Working in some weights now but walking the dog 3-4 miles every few days seems to have really helped. You were already a machine before but good luck with the plan!
Thanks, Nate!

Good to hear that the IF and Keto is still working for you and Christmas didn't throw you too far off. That takes discipline!

That is basically how I lost 35 pounds last year. Most of that below a plateau I had not been able to get thru for over 20 years. Even though I ate ok and worked out regularly.

At the point now I am trying not to lose any more weight. So added a few carbs back in, and had a couple of cheat meals over the holidays. But still maintaining the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back