KBS C-Taper Lite Iron Shaft - Review Thread

Without a doubt I'm going CTL. I went for a shaft fitting and in my head I thought KBS Tour. My fitter wanted me to try the CTL and I fell in love with this shaft. When we were told this was availble I was stoked. During the fitting I was caught right between a stiff and x stiff. My fitter thought it would be beneficial for me to go x-stiff to bring the ball flight and spin down a hair. I love the idea because my current shafts are x-stiff but the CTL will be 5 grams lighter. Thank you KBS and THP!

I REALLY want to try these in the Apex. I love my PX flighted 95s, but I've always wanted to hit an Apex with CTLs in them.

I went from CTL R in my JPX825's to CTL S (soft stepped 1x) in my Cally Apex and the S are much stiffer than the R's......even visually it was obvious how much thicker they are, they really needed an R+. If I could do it again I'd go R hard stepped twice or something.

All the shafts that the KBS online model puts me in feel way to stiff to me, so be careful and try to get some looks in person if possible through one of the KBS fitters. I couldn't get along with the Tour V in stiff that came in my Apex at all, that's why I went back to CTL's.

I got to hit the CTL stiff & regular shafts in the JPX 850s & the stiff won out. I had a little better distance with the regular, but my dospersion was tighter with the stiff.

So now it's official. I've committed to the CTL Stiff for the THPLegacy. Order has been placed.

Nice choice Tom, they are just fantastic shafts.

How close are the CTLs to the C-Taper 90s from Taylormade? If I reshaft a club with a CTL, would it play or feel differently than the 90s?

TM's site has the following: (I'd guess the CTL's are going to play a tiny bit stouter than the 90's). It's weird they have these "one off shafts" like the C-Taper 90 for TM and the Tourv90 for Cally, I have no idea what value this has for the OEM except for small percentage of us club/shaft nerds looking for upgraded shafts.

jlzMmCq.png

9wlILKB.png

w4Fm2qO.png

How close are the CTLs to the C-Taper 90s from Taylormade? If I reshaft a club with a CTL, would it play or feel differently than the 90s?
I think the c-taper 90's were designed specifically for TM and there RS1 because have never seen nor heard of them. With that said, the CTLs are gonna be a little heavier compared to the 90's so I'd like to think it might bring your flight down a hair but that is a pure educational guess.

I hit the CTLs in a Mizuno club today and I'm sold. They packed the launch of the Tour 90s but with less spin and way better dispersion for me.

I think the c-taper 90's were designed specifically for TM and there RS1 because have never seen nor heard of them. With that said, the CTLs are gonna be a little heavier compared to the 90's so I'd like to think it might bring your flight down a hair but that is a pure educational guess.

I had to special order them (no upcharge upgrade) in the RSi1's, but they were a stock offering in the SLDR. I like them a lot better than the stock shafts, but want to reshaft a wedge with something that feels similar, which is why I asked the question.

Maybe those of you more knowledgeable than I can tell me if these numbers are any good: 7 Iron
SS - 82
Ball speed - 119
Launch - 16.2
Back spin - 4900
Descent angle - 43*
Peak height - 29 yards

Maybe those of you more knowledgeable than I can tell me if these numbers are any good: 7 Iron
SS - 82
Ball speed - 119
Launch - 16.2
Back spin - 4900
Descent angle - 43*
Peak height - 29 yards

That looks solid bud. What kind of distance were you getting?

Should I be looking for higher launch or more spin? Or lower?
I got fitted but with a 6 iron. I don't remember my exact numbers but what I do remember is my swing speed 89mph, launch was between 16-17° and peak height way 67ft. Carry distance was 195-200 and total 205. It doesn't seem like we are that far off from one another. My fitter really liked the numbers especially the launch, so I think your pretty solid. What club were you testing with? What irons are planning for #THPLegacy? That should impact launch and spin rates a little.

I got fitted but with a 6 iron. I don't remember my exact numbers but what I do remember is my swing speed 89mph, launch was between 16-17° and peak height way 67ft. Carry distance was 195-200 and total 205. It doesn't seem like we are that far off from one another. My fitter really liked the numbers especially the launch, so I think your pretty solid. What club were you testing with? What irons are planning for #THPLegacy? That should impact launch and spin rates a little.
Was hitting a Mizuno MP-H5 7i with the stock CTL.
I'm leaning towards C100s for Legacy, but I haven't closed the door on the M3s or the V4s.

I think your good with the numbers you posted. The CTL is a great shaft and you can't go wrong with it. It's what I'm going with.

how would the CTL compare to the KBS tour 105's?

how would the CTL compare to the KBS tour 105's?
I cant seem to find any information on KBS Tour 105. Is that what is on your current iron set?

I cant seem to find any information on KBS Tour 105. Is that what is on your current iron set?

It's the stock shaft in the RSI 2's

yes.,......tour 105's on my RSi2's

I have a set of ctaper 120 stiff on my r11's I may pull and install in this set...

So, I ended up choosing the CTLs for my #THPLegacy irons. The slightly higher launch and slightly higher spin profile won me over.

So, I ended up choosing the CTLs for my #THPLegacy irons. The slightly higher launch and slightly higher spin profile won me over.
Good choice.. those and the tour 90s would be my top 2 choices if I had to pick

solid choice!

Good choice.. those and the tour 90s would be my top 2 choices if I had to pick

solid choice!
They really were the closest I could get to my current shafts (that I went thru a fitting for). They'll feel much different, but I'm sure they'll work well for me.

Back