KBS S-Taper Shafts

Alright everyone here's my review. I'm not nearly as talented as the writers for THP but I'll do my best.

From KBS - Tour Feel, Money Performance

$-TAPER
$54.95 per shaft
TOUR FEEL. MONEY PERFORMANCE.
KBS Tour $-Taper provides superior feel while maintaining shot workability and tight dispersion for players seeking the ultimate tour shaft with Mid trajectory and Low Spin performance.

The KBS Tour $-Taper shares the same bend profile as the KBS TOUR with elongated step patterns for spin, generating a stable performance throughout the swing. KBS is proud to offer the KBS Tour $-Taper in 2 finishes: Black PVD and Classic KBS Chrome, KBS Tour $-Taper is available in the following Flex and Weights: R 110g, R+ 115g, S 120g, S+ 125g and X 130g. Finally, you have Tour Feel and Money Performance.

Shaft Features

STIFF TIP SECTION
ADVANCED CONSTANT TAPER
HIGHER CG LOCATION
FIRM SHAFT DESIGN
MID-WEIGHT CONSTRUCTION
3-FLEX SYSTEM

Let's start with the LOOKS -

They offer two finishes for the $-Taper. Black PVD and Chrome.

I was lucky enough to get the black PVD finish and man they do NOT disappoint. They look so good. The finish appears to be holding up very well too. I walk 99% of my rounds. I was a little nervous the black shafts would show scratching on them but I haven't seen anything that shows that so far. I also clean my clubs after every use so that may be helping as well. But I'll keep this thread updated if any of that chances.

Moving on to PERFORMANCE -

I wasn't sure what to expect out of the gate to be honest. I've only every played S300 in my iron shafts. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous making a switch considering how well I've been playing as of late but these perform perfectly. To my eye I'm seeing a higher flight with every iron with no distance loss if anything I think I gained a few yards of carry. It's a different flight than what my eye was used to but not negative in anyway. These for me seem to take off from the club head and climb to peak height with a piercing flight but also a "softer" flight than I'm used to. I'm not quite sure how to describe what I mean by "softer". I eluded to this with some of my earlier thoughts but almost like the ball continues to climb by "floating". Even with that flight, again I'm not seeing any distance loss. Also the ball stays on it's line exactly how I'd expect and hope. I expected that flight was from higher spin and I confirmed that with some numbers on the sim. Here are the comparison numbers with the $-Taper and S300. I was a little surprised by some of the differences.

For this test what I did was take 20 swings with each iron and averaged the best 15 of the 20.

S300 9 Iron

Ball Speed: 103 MPH
Launch Angle: 23.4*
Spin: 7101 RPM
Max Height: 93 Feet
Carry: 146 Yards

$-Taper 9 Iron

Ball Speed: 107 MPH
Launch Angle: 22.9*
Spin: 8201 RPM
Max Height: 99 Feet
Carry: 150 Yards

S300 8 Iron

Ball Speed: 109 MPH
Launch Angle: 21.1*
Spin: 7279 RPM
Max Height: 96 Feet
Carry: 157 Yards

$-Taper 8 Iron

Ball Speed: 112 MPH
Launch Angle: 20*
Spin: 7371 RPM
Carry: 160 Yards

S300 7 Iron

Ball Speed: 112 MPH
Launch Angle: 19.4*
Spin: 6214 RPM
Carry: 166 Yards

$-Taper 7 Iron

Ball Speed: 115 MPH
Launch Angle: 18.2*
Spin: 6610 RPM
Carry: 171 Yards

S300 6 Iron

Ball Speed: 116 MPH
Launch Angle: 17.3*
Spin: 4133 RPM
Carry: 177 Yards

$-Taper 6 Iron

Ball Speed: 120 MPH
Launch Angle: 16.7*
Spin: 5779
Max Height: 102 Feet
Carry: 183 Yards

S300 5 Iron

Ball Speed: 123 MPH
Launch Angle: 15.1*
Spin: 4877 RPM
Carry: 195 Yards

$-Taper 5 Iron

Ball Speed: 126 MPH
Launch Angle: 13.4*
Spin: 5144 RPM
Max Height: 99 Feet
Carry: 199 Yards

S300 4 Iron

Ball Speed: 127 MPH
Spin: 3879
Launch: 13.1*
Carry: 204 Yards

$-Taper 4 Iron

Ball Speed: 130 MPH
Launch Angle: 11.9*
Spin: 4281
Max Height: 90 Feet
Carry: 208 Yards

What surprised me the most was the lower launch and similar peak height on the sim. I knew they were going to be higher spin but didn't really see them being lower launch. Also I wasn't really expecting to see a good jump in ball speed. The sim I used was AboutGolf PGA Tour Sim. It's not perfect but it's pretty accurate. Outside these are the carry distances I play to depending on conditions.

*Disclaimer: I know I can play a little golf and know I'm a decent ball striker but I am in no way claiming to be perfect so I may have had a better day striking the ball with the $-Taper but the numbers are exactly in line with what I'm seeing outside as well.*

9i - 150
8i- 160
7i- 170-175
6i- 180-190
5i- 190-200
4i- 200-210

Last but certainly not least FEEL -

The feel of the shafts are my favorite part. Again I've only ever played the S300 and I had no idea what I was missing. "Smooth" is a term often used with the feel of KBS shafts and that couldn't be more true. It feels stable and smooth throughout the entire swing. I can feel where the club head is in the swing and that is a feeling I have to have. I'm not sure I'm good enough to feel a shaft loading and unloading so I won't get into that because I have no clue if I actually feel that happening or not but these shafts do feel great. At impact I feel like they have a much softer feeling than what I'm used to with the S300. What I mean by that is I feel like they aren't nearly as harsh on the wrists almost feel like a graphite shaft at impact vs steel. For me that is awesome considering how many balls I hit on the range.

In summary I have been absolutely loving my time with these shafts. Their look is second to none, the feel is so much better than what I'm used to, and the performance is exactly what I was expect from a company with such great reviews. They certainly delivered an incredible product with the $-Taper. I'll continue to add my thoughts as they come to me. If anyone has any questions, comments, statement please ask away because questions will probably help me formulate my thoughts better! Just want to take a second to say thank you to KBS and THP for an AWESOME opportunity in testing these shafts.

Very interested in these shafts, but what flex did you get in the $-taper. We have very similar stats with the s300 so I can curious.

I was considering s+ as my miss is a little hooky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more rounds I get in with the $ taper the more I like them. Besides the performance being top notch appearance wise they are off the charts. The black PVD is just amazing it won't be long until I change my wedge shafts to match.

Performance wise I am not seeing the increased distance that some are seeing. The distance has been right in line with what I saw with the DG S300. The ball flight has been noticeably higher with the $ taper. Which for me has been pleasing. The ability to get the ball in the air. With out feeling like I have work to do it is a good feeling. Despite the higher ball flight and some initial struggles knocking the ball down has not been an issue. I know feel like I can work the ball high or low as needed.

Spin wise just based on how the ball performs on the green. It would be a pretty safe bet that the ball is coming into the green with more spin. Balls are checking and not releasing as much as I saw with the DG S300.

Only negative and it is a slight one is I cannot turn the ball over with this shaft. Draws have become nonexistent with these shafts. At best a draw is a straight shot. It is a minor issue but there are times I would like to hit a draw to hold the ball against the wind.

What flex did you get in the $taper. I am considering these coming from s300 and trying to decide between the s and s+

KBS S-Taper Shafts

Have to admit I really hadn’t read through all of this thread before since I really wasn’t in the market for new iron shafts. I just read through the entire thing and have to say you guys did an amazing job with the testing!

With the shaft options available for the Morgan Cup this one caught my eye as I was looking for something different. After reading several times if you like Tour V you will love these I may be headed this direction. I went from Tour V to Project X LZ and I feel like I experienced much of the same that was described by the reviewers was the same. Better feeling, slightly higher ball flight/spin.

If any of the testers are still reading this thread has anyone hit the LZ and can compare to this shaft?

Have to admit I really hadn’t read through all of this thread before since I really wasn’t in the market for new iron shafts. I just read through the entire thing and have to say you guys did an amazing job with the testing!

With the shaft options available for the Morgan Cup this one caught my eye as I was looking for something different. After reading several times if you like Tour V you will love these I may be headed this direction. I went from Tour V to Project X LZ and I feel like I experienced much of the same that was described by the reviewers was the same. Better feeling, slightly higher ball flight/spin.

If any of the testers are still reading this thread has anyone hit the LZ and can compare to this shaft?

I have played tour v 110, 120 and lz 125. Now have $ taper 125. I am pretty much in between stiff and x in most iron shaft offerings. Tour v 110 I was able to play since it's so low spin and feels like low torque. Lz 120 in testing was turning over too much. Lz 125 while I played them was nice but I felt I had to work very hard to get the most out of it (take that with a grain of salt as I was in a swing translational mess). $ taper 125 have given me the best ball speeds and have a great feel. They do launch a bit higher than tour v and spin a bit more as well. The 125 in $ taper feel easier to swing than lz 125. Lz 120 felt like they had more whip through the zone than $ taper 120. Hope that helps

All the Morgan cup guys want these in black! lol.....I like that this thread is getting revived. Was very curious about these shafts, being a long time Ctaper guy.

I have played tour v 110, 120 and lz 125. Now have $ taper 125. I am pretty much in between stiff and x in most iron shaft offerings. Tour v 110 I was able to play since it's so low spin and feels like low torque. Lz 120 in testing was turning over too much. Lz 125 while I played them was nice but I felt I had to work very hard to get the most out of it (take that with a grain of salt as I was in a swing translational mess). $ taper 125 have given me the best ball speeds and have a great feel. They do launch a bit higher than tour v and spin a bit more as well. The 125 in $ taper feel easier to swing than lz 125. Lz 120 felt like they had more whip through the zone than $ taper 120. Hope that helps

I currently play the LZ 120, so if I’m reading it right these have similar feel but maybe a little lower torque than the LZ?

All the Morgan cup guys want these in black! lol.....I like that this thread is getting revived. Was very curious about these shafts, being a long time Ctaper guy.

Haha your right it’s hard to ignore the Black option. Seriously though after reading through the thread the higher launch and feel was something I have become accustomed to so seemed like a good possibility for me.

I currently play the LZ 120, so if I’m reading it right these have similar feel but maybe a little lower torque than the LZ?

Maybe not lower torque... Not sure of the actual numbers but what I feel is the difference between lz 120 and 125 is much bigger than $ taper 120 and 125. I think you can transition from lz 120 to $ taper 120 very easily. IIRC they launched similar but $ taper spin a touch less.

Maybe not lower torque... Not sure of the actual numbers but what I feel is the difference between lz 120 and 125 is much bigger than $ taper 120 and 125. I think you can transition from lz 120 to $ taper 120 very easily. IIRC they launched similar but $ taper spin a touch less.

Well that sounds perfect actually and they come in black. I am going to give these a hard look thank you!

The profiles of the LZ and the $taper look pretty different to each other though. The LZ has a pretty active mid section, while the Staper has a good bit less so. What i take from this is that if you are an LZ guy, you likely have a fairly smooth transition, while an $taper guy might be a bit more quick. Alternatively, the Tour V appears to be like the complete opposite of the LZ profile with a rather stiff mid section and a softish tip. Tour V guys are probably quick transition types. The tour V profile seems reminiscent of the modus 130.
Just some pondering....

What flex did you get in the $taper. I am considering these coming from s300 and trying to decide between the s and s+

I went with the S flex because I wanted to try a slightly lighter shaft. In hindsight I would have went with S+ or even the X flex. The lighter weight messed up my tempo somewhat. Some of the initial (minor) complaints I had with the shaft not being able to flight it or turn the ball over. I now believe were do to tempo issue.

really thinking this is the direction i'm going with my mc sticks.

I went with the S flex because I wanted to try a slightly lighter shaft. In hindsight I would have went with S+ or even the X flex. The lighter weight messed up my tempo somewhat. Some of the initial (minor) complaints I had with the shaft not being able to flight it or turn the ball over. I now believe were do to tempo issue.

In your option how does the flex of the s+ compare to dg s300?

In your option how does the flex of the s+ compare to dg s300?

Flex wise I would say they are comparable. I didn't notice any difference in flex.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Obvo doing my homework on these but not sure if the jump from the Ctaper Lite 110’s in stiff would work here.

Was leaning hard on going Tour V but the black finish is soooooooooo vanity exciting lol.....looking for posts and numbers to make it work lol.

Obvo doing my homework on these but not sure if the jump from the Ctaper Lite 110’s in stiff would work here.

Was leaning hard on going Tour V but the black finish is soooooooooo vanity exciting lol.....looking for posts and numbers to make it work lol.

This comment might help you. Take a close look at the tour V profile vs the $taper. The $taper looks more like the Ctaper lite than it does the Tour V. The tour V has a pretty stiff mid section then it fairly rapidly dips off near the tip. In my experience, that will make the tour V feel oddly stiff throughout the swing and then fairly smooth through the ball.

This comment might help you. Take a close look at the tour V profile vs the $taper. The $taper looks more like the Ctaper lite than it does the Tour V. The tour V has a pretty stiff mid section then it fairly rapidly dips off near the tip. In my experience, that will make the tour V feel oddly stiff throughout the swing and then fairly smooth through the ball.

Appreciate that man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C taper lite 110 is almost opposite end of spectrum from tour v . Tour v would dramatically reduce launch and spin compared to c taper lite 110. I'd think transitioning to $ taper in 110 or 120 would be much more suitable judging by comparoson

C taper lite 110 is almost opposite end of spectrum from tour v . Tour v would dramatically reduce launch and spin compared to c taper lite 110. I'd think transitioning to $ taper in 110 or 120 would be much more suitable judging by comparoson

Thanks man....

Im a high spinner which is why i was thinking that way. I got pretty good distance control with my CF16’s/ctaper lite combo....my misses are indian issues with push/pull....but the ability to upgrade has me looking to tweak.....yes thats a problem lol.

Thanks man....

Im a high spinner which is why i was thinking that way. I got pretty good distance control with my CF16’s/ctaper lite combo....my misses are indian issues with push/pull....but the ability to upgrade has me looking to tweak.....yes thats a problem lol.

Also remember the head will dictate spin much more than shaft. Cf16 are low spin heads with the cup face design, probably why you were able to play c taper lite in them. In my experience c taper lite are very high spin.

Also remember the head will dictate spin much more than shaft. Cf16 are low spin heads with the cup face design, probably why you were able to play c taper lite in them. In my experience c taper lite are very high spin.

Im sooo outta my league on shaft talk. Thank you kind sir for the knowledge. Appreciated greatly.

Im sooo outta my league on shaft talk. Thank you kind sir for the knowledge. Appreciated greatly.

No problem. Just trying to provide feedback since the MC guys are drooling over the PVD black $ taper :)

No problem. Just trying to provide feedback since the MC guys are drooling over the PhD black $ taper :)

Hard not to and being a cobra virgin and only have played callaway the last few years its tough to pull the trigger.

I really enjoyed my time with these shafts! I loved the feel of them and the produces a solid mid ball flight with excellent spin. I still have them in my z945s and they are going nowhere.

i went with the $ taper shafts for my morgan cup irons and wedges. the profile sounds like something i'll really enjoy. when i go through fittings, i usually spec out between regular and stiff flex, so i requested regular+ flex. and black pvd finish, of course!

i went with the $ taper shafts for my morgan cup irons and wedges. the profile sounds like something i'll really enjoy. when i go through fittings, i usually spec out between regular and stiff flex, so i requested regular+ flex. and black pvd finish, of course!

I did the same! Really excited about getting this set into play.

Back