Lamkin UTx Grips Review

Maybe off the shelf, but if you order them online from TM it shows that the UTX are a free upgrade.

Ahh, then yes those should be full on UTx's.

Has anybody compared these to the utx wraps? I know there is a separate thread for them but it hasn't received much feedback.

Has anybody compared these to the utx wraps? I know there is a separate thread for them but it hasn't received much feedback.
Absolutely. I have the wraps on my metal woods and utx on everything else. It's really just a small texture difference between the two as well as the wrap having the feel/look of a wrap. Both really solid options for someone looking for all around performance, just a matter of personal preference which works out. Or you could vary in a set like I do.

So a follow-up on these, the UTx's I put on just a couple months ago feel almost vintage grip slick. I'm sure they're just dusty and I'm going to try cleaning them, but my coach noticed it at my lesson last night. My glove grips them well enough, but they're pretty bad. Hopefully a cleaning restores them to their original tackiness. Disappointing after using Golf Prides that are like sandpaper by design.

So a follow-up on these, the UTx's I put on just a couple months ago feel almost vintage grip slick. I'm sure they're just dusty and I'm going to try cleaning them, but my coach noticed it at my lesson last night. My glove grips them well enough, but they're pretty bad. Hopefully a cleaning restores them to their original tackiness. Disappointing after using Golf Prides that are like sandpaper by design.

When is the last time you cleaned them?

Water and dish soap. Should go right back

Best grips freaking EVER. Highlighted even further yesterday when I was hitting the most atrocious grips imaginable - the stock Nike wrap grips on the Vapor line in my fitting yesterday.

I am pondering the Vapor Pro, but DEFINITELY not that stock grip. It would be receiving a UTx most assuredly.

I've used Pure, GP, etc. If you do not clean them, wow, do they get slick, especially when it's warm or you are sweaty.

I've used Lamkin 3 Gen and they can go awhile without cleaning, but it's best to clean any grip frequently. I use a product called "Clean and Tacky", and have for years. I think that's why I've used it -- it works and I tend to keep using what works.

I've got a UTx on driver and Hybrids, and am redoing irons with Wrap-Techs. Have a box of Gripes and getting a Lamkin Towel. Keep 'em clean, boys.

But soap, water, use of a nylon brush, rinse and dry ought to work for you.

Get some gripes and save some time. They'll come back.

I have the wraps on my woods. Early yet, but so far I'm digging them. Think they're just a touch softer than the standards, but other than that they feel pretty similar to me so far. I do play my grips at +2 wraps, so take that FWIW but I'm loving these. GP NDMC convert over here.

How often do you play? I'm still fairly new on these, but never had a grip other than some Winns a while ago that wore out too quickly.

Get some gripes and save some time. They'll come back.

What he said :good:

I installed UTx, UTx wrap, and a Wrap-Tech grip on 3 of my irons.

The weather outside is frightful -- 96 degrees and muggy, and my hands tend to sweat.

My initial reaction is that Both UTx Wraps work well with my profile and in my playing weather, whereas the Wrap-Tech will work better in cooler conditions (under 80F).

Of the two UTx grips - I prefer the UTx Wrap as it feels a bit more stable and substantial in my hands.

My UTx have been on for about 8 months and have logged about 70 rounds. Do not anticipate having to change them anytime soon. Clean them with Gripes about once a month. When the time to change grips does arise, it will be UTx again.

I'm looking forward to some limited edition UTx on #THPLegacy clubs in just a few weeks!

I successfully completed my first re-gripping with the UTx, putting them on my irons and wedges. No clubs have gone flying out of my hands while I'm still holding the grip, so that's a good thing.

These grips are extremely comfortable and make me feel like I have a solid grip on the clubs even when I'm holding them with light pressure. I went with the midsize and I'm so glad I did. I've been in some very muggy, humid conditions lately and the UTx grips hold up wonderfully.

Went from Pure Pro's a couple years ago. Loved them - were incredibly durable and would keep it's tack for over a season even after high use. Unfortunately they are incredibly hard and started to wear on my hands.

I switched to the iLine's last year. They're great but only when it's dry. Add any rain or moisture and they become pretty darn slick. Plus they're not very durable. After a few consecutive range sessions hitting one iron, and you'll see the grip starting to wear down.

Currently using the Lamkin UTx. These things are incredible. They have both grit and tack. The feel and firmness is somewhere between the iLine and Pure Pro. Personally these are my favorite grips I've used over the past 5 I've tried in recent memory - GP Tour Velvet, NDMC, Lamkin Crossline, iLine and Pure Pro's.

Spent more time with the Lamkins today.

As long as your hands are not sweating, (you're not beating balls), and the temps are reasonable, the Wrap Techs are very comfortable and tacky. I like the look and the "sand paper" wrap is a nice touch. But if your hands get moist, let's say after 20 minutes on the range in 85 degrees and 90% humidity, you need to look for another option.

In comparison, my driver has a new Iomic Grip on it, and the club almost left my hands at the end of one swing (not wearing gloves).

So Iomics are not great either when going gloveless.

The UTx grips are still a favorite - a bit firmer but good in weather. I like the black UTx and the UTx Wrap. My other driver stays in my hands with the UTx.

I've noticed that the UTx on my 6i has gotten slick. Like, my coach picked it up and went "eew, this needs a new grip" slick. It may just need a cleaning, but I just put those grips on a couple months ago. They start out super tacky, but that tackiness goes away pretty quickly.

I've noticed that the UTx on my 6i has gotten slick. Like, my coach picked it up and went "eew, this needs a new grip" slick. It may just need a cleaning, but I just put those grips on a couple months ago. They start out super tacky, but that tackiness goes away pretty quickly.
Lamkin Gripes

You just need to clean them Dave. That will bring them back life. Those grips are not that old on your clubs. Should be good for you for the summer, if not longer.

I got a free one of these grips and installed it on an old wedge. It feels nice but I just don't like the look of it. Guess I'm more of an eye candy person than a utilitarian.

played my first round yesterday will all UTX grips on my clubs (minus putter), and I was pretty impressed

Soap and a nylon brush scrub, rinse, dry.

The UTx is a firm grip so you need to clean them frequently if you play in hot, muggy weather and your hands sweat; or you are a range rat.

I have one of those tubes with nylon teeth inside that cleans the grip, which I got from Clean and Tacky when purchasing their cleaning solution.

See:

http://shop.cleanandtacky.com/cart/...Path=1&zenid=b54a6e229f2bc1e381d552d7ff0a9fde

I bought the demo kit about 5 years ago and still have 1/3 of a bottle. With the bristle tube, all you need is one spray as the bristles retain the cleaner, meaning you can use less solution.

You might try the UTx wrap next time, but those grips should last a year.

I also have a box of Lamkin Gripes, and used one on the range.

Last edited:
This. THE best way to clean a grip.

I thought they were a gimmick...until I used them on my i-lines and couldnt believe it. It was like I put new grips on.

This. THE best way to clean a grip.

I think I still have an unopened pack from when they first came out. I don't know why but cleaning my grips is something I never think of.

Back