Have been playing around with this over the last few days and think I'm ready to break it out for this weekends round with Jank and Co. Some of the best putting I've had was with the claw but I had some issues with it long term. I like how the left hand controls most of the impact and takes the right out of play. I have a bad habit of letting the right wrist get active right before contact. Really like the Garsen grip for this as well.

I tried it for a couple of years and don't think it made much difference for me. I've finally gone to basically a "ball" grip where the putter runs up the life-line of my right hand and the left hand just wraps around the right, offset towards the ball by 1/2 a finger width. Makes for very relaxed and easy swinging.

Have been playing around with this over the last few days and think I'm ready to break it out for this weekends round with Jank and Co. Some of the best putting I've had was with the claw but I had some issues with it long term. I like how the left hand controls most of the impact and takes the right out of play. I have a bad habit of letting the right wrist get active right before contact. Really like the Garsen grip for this as well.
I tried it for the first time on the course my last time out, and I can't remember my speed control ever being so good. There wasn't one putt that didn't end up within 2 feet of the hole (was only 9 holes). Pretty excited about it.

I think it really goes well with the SuperStroke SS2 grip or with the flat side of other grips installed facing under the lead/low hand. It's like cheating it's so easy to keep the face square.

I tried it for the first time on the course my last time out, and I can't remember my speed control ever being so good. There wasn't one putt that didn't end up within 2 feet of the hole (was only 9 holes). Pretty excited about it.

I think this is going to be key, working on the speed control.

I think it really goes well with the SuperStroke SS2 grip or with the flat side of other grips installed facing under the lead/low hand. It's like cheating it's so easy to keep the face square.

As with the claw that was one thing I'd forgotten about is how much longer the face seems to stay square and then naturally turns after contact. We shall see.

Todd Soames was on Morning Drive last month & talked about putting grip. He said something I never thought about before that might help here if you're making a switch to left hand low (really it applies to any style I think). He stressed getting the grip with each hand so that you are pushing/pulling only on the sides of the putter handle - not the top or bottom. The key checkpoint is make sure that your forearms should be level. He felt that a lot of golfers (most right-handed) tend to have the right arm higher and when they push with the right arm on the forward stroke, they accidentally also push on the top of the handle & the face rotates closed & you pull the ball left at impact.

This thought has really tightened up my swing and I'm a lot more consistent now. It's also why i think the "thumbs off" drill that SeeMore's SPi instructors use & Jman & others love works so well - it helps me to not try to steer the putter & push or pull from the top of the handle.

Just a thought - hope this helps!

I think the Garsen really helps me with that. Sets everything more to the side.

How much work/pressure do you guys give your right hand during the stroke? Is it all left hand guided or do you use the right as well? Thanks!!

How much work/pressure do you guys give your right hand during the stroke? Is it all left hand guided or do you use the right as well? Thanks!!

My best strokes are when I feel that the left hand is leading. For me, the right is there to help keep the stroke on path. If I feel any of the right, it is typically on the follow-thru and I notice a slight break in the wrists, which is no bueno.

I actually do the opposite of static.

I do concentrate on the right hand, but mostly in the sense that I want to maintain the feeling of the bend/cup that it has at the address position. I find that if I maintain that, my left wrist falls into place and I just make sure to follow through.

This may not make sense but I feel like the right hand pushes the putter and controls the speed while the left hand keeps the head square and stable.

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is 2 fold: My first time out I concentrated on just the left hand guide and not really feeling the right. Last night was playing around with more feeling on the right hand but would say still 70% left, 30% right, because with the left hand low it basically keeps the face from twisting.

I'm also catching myself taking the putter head back a little on the outside I think which is causing a few short missed putts as the head turns a bit on the inside during contact. Need to watch this and fix with some more time.

Thanks guys. The reason I ask is 2 fold: My first time out I concentrated on just the left hand guide and not really feeling the right. Last night was playing around with more feeling on the right hand but would say still 70% left, 30% right, because with the left hand low it basically keeps the face from twisting.

I'm also catching myself taking the putter head back a little on the outside I think which is causing a few short missed putts as the head turns a bit on the inside during contact. Need to watch this and fix with some more time.

which putter are you using? does it have a plumbers neck? I ask because I have the exact issue with the Tank 1W for example. With my smart square I do not have that issue.

which putter are you using? does it have a plumbers neck? I ask because I have the exact issue with the Tank 1W for example. With my smart square I do not have that issue.

Still using the Smart Square TFi!

I actually do the opposite of static.

I do concentrate on the right hand, but mostly in the sense that I want to maintain the feeling of the bend/cup that it has at the address position. I find that if I maintain that, my left wrist falls into place and I just make sure to follow through.

I get what Hawk is saying. At times, during practice sessions, I will concentrate on maintaining the flex in the right wrist. But, I never want to feel like my right hand is "pushing". For me, it's probably a 60L/40R or 70L/30R

This may not make sense but I feel like the right hand pushes the putter and controls the speed while the left hand keeps the head square and stable.

This is exactly the feel I look for. I also try to keep the wrist angle steady in the right wrist.

My putter model is a Yes! Bella 12

Still using the Smart Square TFi!

Try the ball forward in your stance a little. I also move back from it a little where the toe of the putter is a little upright.

No pulls. Ever.

Try the ball forward in your stance a little. I also move back from it a little where the toe of the putter is a little upright.

No pulls. Ever.
I also moved the ball forward in my stance and it helped a ton.

Thanks for the tips guys and will be trying for the second time on Friday. I know it takes time and I'm willing to stick with it even after my rocky 1st attempt with it. 4 3 putts wasn't good but I know it's mechanics and what I need to be concentrating on. But mostly it's developing the confidence with the stroke. Took a few putts last night with the normal grip and it felt odd already so I'm on the right track.

I also try to keep my right wrist cup firm and in place. The left hand guides the putter and the shoulders control speed and distance. I got a lot more consistent when I also focused on keeping the butt of the putter pointed at my belly button.

I use an old BeCu Ping Zing 2

I used to putt cross handed for years before it became popular and was pretty successful with it. I don't know why I didn't stick with it and have used it sparingly, an occasional putt here and there, never for an entire round since........until today. I have been struggling of late with my putting so just decided to go back to it and ended up with 6 birdies on the day, shot a 3-under 69 and missed shooting my age by 1 stroke from the regular men's (not senior) tees.

I feel like the right hand is in control and the left (low) hand is guiding (and I'm a lefty that plays righty). I like this drill too:

[video=youtube;ISka8cg7-DQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISka8cg7-DQ[/video]

I also moved the ball forward in my stance and it helped a ton.

Agreed 100%. I play it off my left "pinky" toe as a right hander.

And I try to keep my right forearm attached to my torso as much as possible. Shortens the stroke and keeps me accelerating through the ball.

I like to make the left hand is moving toward or on my target line. Going left hand low should bring the left hand more into play than the right. Standard putting is all right handed, if you are putting cross handed, that left hand should be doing the loin's share of the work

After peeking in here a couple of times (but mostly ignoring the idea of actually doing this), I decided to try it, with the ball forward in my stance as someone suggested above.

I stunk at it initially, but after I started to feel more comfortable with it, I am really intrigued with trying this out.

It seems like for me it is easier to follow through and stay on my line.

Ive got 12 pages of reading I can't wait to jump in to.

Back