Lexi Thompson on Golf Digest

Lexi Thompson on Golf Digest

• Great cover, no problem with it at all!

Votes: 66 41.8%
  • Don't like it, could have conveyed their message in a different manner.

Votes: 33 20.9%
  • Don't really care either way.

Votes: 59 37.3%

• Total voters
It's Blu, of course he's not serious.

But it's America, if you release a picture, somebody somewhere will be offended.

I'm offended by the simplicity and truth of your statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would the LPGA care? Girls show as much skin if not more on tour.... especially in the nether regions..

So funny. I don't get this at all, to be honest.

i totally agree...so many panties in a bunch over the same amount of skin shown in a SI swimsuit issue. Not to mention one complains when SI models are in nothing but a painted on swimsuit.

I don't have a problem with it, she is in great shape and is an attractive women and if she decides to show off what she is working with than more power to her.

For her brand, not sure it is the best strategy as while it might find her some new fans (guessing mostly men) it might push some with children to root for other players on the LPGA due to the more risqué nature of the cover.

I am curious what the LPGA commissioner thinks, I am sure he understands that some people tune in to follow some of the lovely ladies and that is fine, but golfers for the most part are very conservative (see the thread on here about PGA players wearing shorts). It is getting exposure for sure, just not sure if it is the type they want.

Frankly, at least she is relevant to the game, almost kind of because she is married to a PGA player and has a huge instagram following.

If you are referring to Nicholas Thompson that is Lexi's brother and not her husband. I doubt the commish is concerned with this. He just got an extension and has the tour in a good spot because of how well the players are performing along with the fan exposure. Lexi is one of the best when it comes to interacting with the fans and like many of the players on the lpga she gets it.

If you are referring to Nicholas Thompson that is Lexi's brother and not her husband. I doubt the commish is concerned with this. He just got an extension and has the tour in a good spot because of how well the players are performing along with the fan exposure. Lexi is one of the best when it comes to interacting with the fans and like many of the players on the lpga she gets it.[/QUOTE]

I just edited my post, meant that Lexi is relevant to the game not like the previous May cover girl who is not actually a golfer (Paulina Gretzky). Sorry for he confusion.

Young man, why don't you get back on the Nintendo and let the elders worry about the lawn...

:alien:

I'm not sure he's old enough to know what a Nintendo is...

Wow, seven pages of "discussion" on this month's cover, guess Golf Digest got just what they wanted.

BTW I think she looks great and if I worked out and looked like that I'd show off (but nobody would want to see THAT!). At least they finally got a golfer for their "fitness" issue.

As for a real answer on the cover, I am of the mindset that there is nothing wrong with this photo. If anything, it's a sign of a girl having been taught not to be ashamed of her body or feel like she has to hide it.

Morality has a subjective nature to it though, and I would say that if this was tried when Lexi was a minor I would feel completely different about it. Don't get me started on how messed up clothing options for tweens and younger are these days. Lexi is an adult though, and because of that who are we to tell anyone that a cover showing less than some "dresses" do is inappropriate?

I have two daughters, and when they are 20, if they were put into that same position I believe that I would say the same thing.

I don't have a problem with it, she is in great shape and is an attractive women and if she decides to show off what she is working with than more power to her.

For her brand, not sure it is the best strategy as while it might find her some new fans (guessing mostly men) it might push some with children to root for other players on the LPGA due to the more risqué nature of the cover.

I am curious what the LPGA commissioner thinks, I am sure he understands that some people tune in to follow some of the lovely ladies and that is fine, but golfers for the most part are very conservative (see the thread on here about PGA players wearing shorts). It is getting exposure for sure, just not sure if it is the type they want.

Frankly, at least she is relevant to the game, NOT almost kind of because she is married to a PGA player and has a huge instagram following.

Were there any repercussions for the women that did ESPN the Body?

I don't think so.

Were there any repercussions for the women that did ESPN the Body?

I don't think so.

I don't expect there to be any repercussions, nor do I feel there should be. I am actually just curious what the commissioners thoughts are. Does he think this is good for the LPGA? Does he think it is scandalous? Does he think it is a non issue?

Would he encourage another player next season to do the same? Again, I have zero problems with the cover, it looks like an issue of Maxim or some other such magazine which is very common.

I don't expect there to be any repercussions, nor do I feel there should be. I am actually just curious what the commissioners thoughts are. Does he think this is good for the LPGA? Does he think it is scandalous? Does he think it is a non issue?

Would he encourage another player next season to do the same? Again, I have zero problems with the cover, it looks like an issue of Maxim or some other such magazine which is very common.

Yah I kind of worded that wrong I apologize.

I think Whan seems to be for anything (rational) that brings attention to the brand. He's done a great job with the tour.

The way some of the women dress on tour I doubt he would have any issue with it.

My wife is of the opinion that topless women and golf just don't belong together.

I agreed with her.

In case anyone cares, Thompson shot even par today and sits 5 strokes behind the leader, Morgan Pressel.

In case anyone cares, Thompson shot even par today and sits 5 strokes behind the leader, Morgan Pressel.
Wait, GD put a women on the cover of their magazine who actually plays golf for money?

I'm amazed.

Yah I kind of worded that wrong I apologize.

I think Whan seems to be for anything (rational) that brings attention to the brand. He's done a great job with the tour.

The way some of the women dress on tour I doubt he would have any issue with it.

No apology needed, fun discussion and hard to determine tone from text.

What it comes down to is Golf Digest is struggling and needs press like this to help it

What it comes down to is Golf Digest is struggling and needs press like this to help it

Golf doesn't "need" to create this kind of buzz. What they need to do is make the LPGA more visible because they aren't just good looking women, there are some really great golfers on that tour and most people only get to watch highlights of their tournaments. Sure, a cover like this will create buzz, but imo if you weren't watching LPGA golf before this cover, you aren't watching it now

I think a lot of the comments about the SI covers are completely valid here. Golf carries the image of being a bit stuffy and uptight at times among the general public (those people probably haven't been stuck behind the drunk foursome decked out in Loudmouth gear like I have) and covers like this are pretty much shouting "no, it's not all stuffy and uptight!". And that's a good thing in my opinion. If this was a surfer mag, or an extreme sports mag, this thread doesn't exist.

I think a lot of the comments about the SI covers are completely valid here. Golf carries the image of being a bit stuffy and uptight at times among the general public (those people probably haven't been stuck behind the drunk foursome decked out in Loudmouth gear like I have) and covers like this are pretty much shouting "no, it's not all stuffy and uptight!". And that's a good thing in my opinion. If this was a surfer mag, or an extreme sports mag, this thread doesn't exist.
I agree if this was any other magazine besides golf there would be no discussion. Actually her cover would be considered pretty tame.

Golf doesn't "need" to create this kind of buzz. What they need to do is make the LPGA more visible because they aren't just good looking women, there are some really great golfers on that tour and most people only get to watch highlights of their tournaments. Sure, a cover like this will create buzz, but imo if you weren't watching LPGA golf before this cover, you aren't watching it now
I agree, but this cover has stirred up alot already, so they accomplished their goal. The fact is womens sports just really never get the press mens do. Is unfortunate in golf tho because I think of any sport golf is the one sport where women really can hold there own vs men because its less based on speed and athleticism. Im in awe watching some of the shots the girls hit, you dont need to be built like Tiger to knock in putts, or snipe flags from 180 and in

Well, hey ... look on the bright side. LPGA player on the cover!

I've always been one to think/say that if the person getting photographed is comfortable with what the photographer wants to shoot with them...then I don't have much of as issue either. Ultimately, it comes down to the person getting photographed, they have the final say with what is done based on what they are comfortable with. For me, as long as they are not being rude or overly insensitive to a person or group of people, then I'm good if they are.

This cover happens every year, and every year the same people seem to get bent out of shape about it. Last year everyone griped because Paulina Gretzky wasn't even a golfer. Now, they actually put a golfer on the cover and it's too racy. Whether people like it or not, sex sells.....even in golf. Blair O'Neal's popularity among men ages 16-99 isn't because she's got an amazing short game. The top selling issues of Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine are the swim suit issue and the body issue (respectively). I have no problem with this magazine cover, nor does my wife. As a matter of fact my wife said, "She plays golf? Wow! Maybe I should start playing golf if I'll look like that".

There's absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating the human form. Lexi is a fit woman and I don't see anything wrong with her deciding to show it off. Let's also keep in mind that the athletes AGREE to do this. They're not being forced to do this by Golf Digest or any media outlet. If the issue was so offensive and tasteless to enough readers, they wouldn't do it anymore.

As far as Lexi being a role model to young women.....this cover should have no impact on that. Considering most young girls look up to the likes of Katie Perry, Lady GaGa and the stupid Kardashians, this magazine cover is nothing compared to how they appear in public. Plus, my daughter sees much worse than this when we go to the beach.

I don't have a problem with the picture, I don't have a problem with her posing for it. Don't tell me its to highlight LPGA fitness and try to justify it with a letter from the editor, just come clean and tell us you wanted to put some boobs on the cover in hopes of boosting sales.

I'm out of town and my wife just sent me a photo of lexi on the cover and said "What kind of a golf magazine cover is this?!"

she doesn't care but it's funny that she'd react that way.

Back