ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat: Ethan Ganot with Callaway Golf

@EthanatorCG My Malört Buddy!! How far out in advance do you work on marketing campaigns?
With Mavirk only officially released for 3 months, are you already working on 2021 marketing in the background?

Bravo on the proper use of the ö!!
Timing of campaigns all depends on how big the launch is and what product came before it. Product campaign work ranges from probably 90 days to 270 days from a marketing perspective. The actual product planning and techs & specs and all that fancy stuff are usually over a year out, at least.

I'd love to get specific but I don't need Legal to get involved so how about I just describe what I think would make for the ideal staffer? Yes? ok good. --- someone who hits the ball far, is recognizable face and personality, has an authentic social media presence, and isn't afraid to try new things and laugh at themselves.

Oh I think I had it till I heard authentic social media, that eliminates most one brand’s staffers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

With great power, comes great responsibility, How does it feel to carry the moniker of "Ethan" along with the rest of the greats? Ethan Hawke, Ethan Hunt, Ethanol, Myself, etc.

I love being an Ethan. I forget if I still am in it, but in the early days of Facebook I joined a group called "Ethans United". I only knew one other Ethan growing up, and having a name that was different from most other people probably helped define me. It's funny to see how popular the name has become -- I always think I'm being yelled at by random Moms in the supermarket or the mall because they're yelling at their kids named Ethan. And I have 2 friends who named their kids Ethan. #Influencer!

How do you feel about it?

Also "Ethanol" :geek:

@EthanatorCG Have you watched Tiger King on Netflix? If so, who do you think is the worst villain of the show?

Haven't watched it! I tend to avoid things that become super popular* (many times to my detriment) so thus far I have not watched it.

*See also: any Harry Potter books, Game of Thrones.

yes, I'm weird. and hypocritical because I am inconsistent in my application of the above. See: current fascination with Lizzo.

Based on your roofing history, can you explain why anyone would buy a flat tab shingle when they're so dramatically inferior to multi dimensional shingles?

I love being an Ethan. I forget if I still am in it, but in the early days of Facebook I joined a group called "Ethans United". I only knew one other Ethan growing up, and having a name that was different from most other people probably helped define me. It's funny to see how popular the name has become -- I always think I'm being yelled at by random Moms in the supermarket or the mall because they're yelling at their kids named Ethan. And I have 2 friends who named their kids Ethan. #Influencer!

How do you feel about it?

Also "Ethanol" :geek:
Growing up and being about 16-18 when Ethan became a popular name I would get really confused hearing my name in public from someone other than friends and family. It was fun being slightly different. And the only one at school with that name. The biggest downfall was constantly being called Evan, Ian, Aaron, Nathan(My brother's name). And short of being named after a John Wayne character that wouldn't fly in today's climate, it's not terribly bad.

@EthanatorCG favorite hole at the Hideaway, aaaaaaaand go!

whoops I missed this question on my first pass. Yeesh that is a tough one. The honest answer is "any of them" because if I'm playing any of those holes it means that life is good! It's fun having played there enough now to have almost one story per hole. I've hit some really good and incredibly awful shots on just about all of them. I guess if I have to pick one that has the most "story" to it for me, it's number 8 on the Dye. (Somebody gut check me on that, I always get the courses confused.) It's an incredibly scenic par 5, it has a wide fairway so it keeps everyone in the hole, and the green has some great pin positions that make for drama on/around the green.

whoops I missed this question on my first pass. Yeesh that is a tough one. The honest answer is "any of them" because if I'm playing any of those holes it means that life is good! It's fun having played there enough now to have almost one story per hole. I've hit some really good and incredibly awful shots on just about all of them. I guess if I have to pick one that has the most "story" to it for me, it's number 8 on the Dye. (Somebody gut check me on that, I always get the courses confused.) It's an incredibly scenic par 5, it has a wide fairway so it keeps everyone in the hole, and the green has some great pin positions that make for drama on/around the green.
Any of them is 100% the correct answer. It’s heeeaaavvveeeennnnnn

@EthanatorCG

Can we get away with bending the laws and do a beer trade if there's some NJ beers I can hunt down and send your way haha I need to diversify my portfolio and try out some of these out of state beers

Based on your roofing history, can you explain why anyone would buy a flat tab shingle when they're so dramatically inferior to multi dimensional shingles?

You're cheap. That's the only reason. The wind warranty, the lifespan, the look all obviously favor multi dimensional. Everyone knows that.

@EthanatorCG, what process of elimination are you employing to choose what questions to answer and in which order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not look like it but I'm trying to go in order and answer all of them! My #foruming skills are apparently up to par!

Hoping to be able to get in here live. Have a few things that popped up on the calendar that may make it hard. So I’ll throw out a question or two.
1. Since the ZooCrew was created and you were hired how has your roll evolved, responsibilities etc....?
2. Since you’ve been in the marketing field, is there any one person that’s had a significant affect on the way you think? You seem to march to your own beat and don’t ever let that change! 👍

Chuck makes his own rules and submits early!
1) the role is always changing because the priorities and team around us are always shifting. I like to think that I can fill the white space - when I first started we were just getting into content but had no structure around it, so I ran with that. Then I got replaced by a multiple time Emmy Award winner and focused on launching products with more diligence and efficiency, and then an opening happened in media & ads. So it's been something new over and over. Lots to learn and do, always!
2) Thanks as always for the love! In terms of influences, obviously Harry ranks way up there, as do all of the people in our department and everyone we are fortunate enough to interact with through brand or personal connections. I think we have a diverse group of mindsets and experiences, and what helps me march to my own beat is pulling little tidbits from each of those people/organizations/functions in order to help me build my own personal style, which I guess is a hybrid of a ton of others/

That.. That does not sound like something you did for very long.

8 weeks. Most fun ever. Little kids are incredible people. The only reason I could keep up with them was because I was 18 years old at the time. Every day after they went home I took a 90 minute nap. INTENSE!!

You're cheap. That's the only reason. The wind warranty, the lifespan, the look all obviously favor multi dimensional. Everyone knows that.

what’s the cost difference in shingle, $300?

What was your most fun marketing run you did at MillerCoors, as well as Callaway?

Damn Wardy how many questions did you submit?! I think I answered a q about Callaway campaign for someone else so I'll stick to MillerCoors--

At MillerCoors, one of my brands was Pilsner Urquell. The world's original golden beer. We convinced the company to start shipping the beer in a fully refrigerated supply chain route, raising the price, and lowering distribution all to focus on quality. We revamped the packaging to tell the story and handle the cold shipping condensation, we stopped certain accounts from carrying it if they didn't pour the beer properly or use the right glassware, and we significantly upped the perception of the beer among the biggest beer geeks out there. And the beer tasted SO MUCH BETTER so it was totally worth it. We hit the profit plan despite the volume cut. Oh and I got to go to Pilsen CZ for the freshest beer ever.

We also customized a few Sprinter vans and outfitted them with a kegerator and educational materials about the brand and how to serve it

Damn Wardy how many questions did you submit?! I think I answered a q about Callaway campaign for someone else so I'll stick to MillerCoors--

At MillerCoors, one of my brands was Pilsner Urquell. The world's original golden beer. We convinced the company to start shipping the beer in a fully refrigerated supply chain route, raising the price, and lowering distribution all to focus on quality. We revamped the packaging to tell the story and handle the cold shipping condensation, we stopped certain accounts from carrying it if they didn't pour the beer properly or use the right glassware, and we significantly upped the perception of the beer among the biggest beer geeks out there. And the beer tasted SO MUCH BETTER so it was totally worth it. We hit the profit plan despite the volume cut. Oh and I got to go to Pilsen CZ for the freshest beer ever.

We also customized a few Sprinter vans and outfitted them with a kegerator and educational materials about the brand and how to serve it

This is what happens when you get stuck at home, I have lots of questions. I did not realize that brand was under the Miller Coors umbrella, that’s pretty darn awesome.

@EthanatorCG What is your background and what was your first marketing job out of College?

Finance degree undergrad -> boring finance/audit jobs -> grad school -> MillerCoors National Account Sales Strategy -> Imports Marketing at MillerCoors.

@EthanatorCG Callaway has their name in everything golf related (i.e. soft goods vs hard goods). As far as the little things go like foam balls, ball markers, divot tools, go is it just a "We'll brand it for brand recognition" or is there an active thought process in display setups required for retailers for your smaller products?

Second question. I'm looking at a push cart and have seen a couple of the Callaway branded ones. What would you compare them to and in your opinion is the motorized one really worth the extra money?

We do indeed have our name on just about everything golf-related. For some of those accessory items it's about offering a full line of stuff so that we can be their one-stop-shop. We don't make or put our name on something just to have our name out there, if it's in a store we have it there to try to make money! (After all, we're a publicly traded company!)

Push carts are not (yet) my area of expertise. Heyyo forumers - what. do you suggest for Billy?

@EthanatorCG What is the biggest challenge you face when marketing your product?

Figuring out the insight of why someone might need this. How's it different from what's come before or competitive offerings? What is the unique identifying attribute and how can we explain that in say, 7 words or less? It's always a fun challenge!

Back