Marijuana On The Course

One legal, one not. If we're going to argue merits, there's always that... :)

What would I be more upset about, seeing my kids sneak a beer or catching them with a joint? The latter for sure due to the legalities. If both were illegal or if both were legal, that would change.

They're both illegal for your kids, right?

You said it is illegal in all 50 states, so which is it? Is this report wrong or is it illegal? That was why I posted it.

My personal opinion is it shouldn't be use in public at all ( even if it is legal in some states). If you want to put it into your body do it in your own home and no where else.

I could answer that, but first of all, you know the answer and second, I don't wanna turn this political.

They're both illegal for your kids, right?

Correct! And by more than just state and federal law. Parental law:)

Although it is legal to allow your kid to have alcohol at your house, but it's a fine line and age is a consideration. Too much and/or too young and children services could get involved in behalf of the kids.

I could answer that, but first of all, you know the answer and second, I don't wanna turn this political.

I already answered earlier in the thread. It's still classified as a schedule 1 substance by the Controlledl Substances Act at the federal level. Which is hilariously tragic in that it appears to have very legitimate medical uses, but yes at the risk of turning this into a political debate... that's all I've got to say on that.

Although it is legal to allow your kid to have alcohol at your house, but it's a fine line and age is a consideration. Too much and/or too young and children services could get involved in behalf of the kids.

Laws vary by state. It's also legal in Wisconisn for underage teenagers to drink alcoholic beverages in a bar if they are accompanied by their parents/guardian. When we were in California, my kids couldn't even be standing near the bar at a restaurant when I was ordering drinks.

Yeah you are wrong but it is all good and I understand where you come from. Best bet is talk truthfully to them. While marijuana is safer then alcohol by far there are studies that show it is not safe on developing brains. Show them those studies and punt the issue till they are adults. I think the higher morals by not smoking argument is just stupid, just as stupid as prohibition was. Hopefully the world has figured that out 80 years from now.

Full disclosure I rarely smoke these days but used to tons. I am more then happy to buy it when I am visiting my mom in California where I can walk into a store and by it.

Thanks for sharing, Bogart!!

Blaze away, bruh!!

I smoked a metic ton in my wayward youth, and don’t care if someone wants to do their thang. The smell makes me wax nostalgic, and my belly grumbles in solidarity for the soon-to-arrive munchies.

We got a WHOLE lot more to worry about nowadays.

I don’t think people should smoke anything on the golf course. With that said I would also prefer it if people smoked weed vs getting hammered on the course. People get high and mellow out. People get drunk and I want to wrap my 3I around their loud obnoxious ass.

I've never seen a mean stoner. If it where done more often we wouldn't see all these articles about fights on the golf course. LOL I'm kidding. To each their own. I don't mind what other people do. It's not for me to judge them. I just worry about what I do.

I've never seen a mean stoner. If it where done more often we wouldn't see all these articles about fights on the golf course. LOL I'm kidding. To each their own. I don't mind what other people do. It's not for me to judge them. I just worry about what I do.

I’d rather smell weed than see someone get their finger bitten off.

I don't usually mind even though its not legal here in VA. The only time it was an issue for me was when I was out with my wife and child a couple weeks ago at my home course and one of the maintenance staff was smoking on the course near us. My wife is not very forgiving about such things especially in the vicinity of our two and a half year old. I pulled the pro to the side when we finished our round and told him I wanted to discuss with him and no one else because I am not looking to get the guy fired or anything like that and his supervisor or director of golf may have done just that. I simply asked him to have a chat with the guy about when and where would be appropriate since there are often kids on the course on the weekends. He was quite appreciative of how I handled it with him and I doubt it is ever an issue again.

I have a hard enough time hitting the ball when I am not high. Can't imagine trying to hit a ball while being high on some weed. I'm wondering if smoking weed could be potentially dangerous to other golfers, or if those who smoke weed would even admit that it could be.

The only thing in danger would be the snacks in the beer cart...

Could not do it and golf, I would just want to have a snack and take a nap. Oh wait that is all I ever want to do anyway..I have rode with a few folks that were using a vap thing with weed juice and they were quite happy and handled it well, hey if you don't mind my stinking cigar blaze away and carry on.

Mellow down easy ya'll...

That's definitely a state law thing. That too would be a big no no here.

If you wanna smoke on the course do it so noone else sees you on a more empty day. And do it with some discretion. Im not a fan- i'm either really good and dont think about my swing or I get really bad and tense up and overthink it.

Lets talk about the real issue. I grew up working at country clubs and even caddying at Valhalla. Ive had 2 girlfriends work as "beer cart girls." one while I was in high school and one that told me about her experiences in the past working in a country club somewhere around Simi Valley, CA and that rich town outside of Sacramento. Not to mention I'd witnessed this behavior for years from the time I began playing golf at 6 years old to now.

I've witnessed and heard so many stories about drunk middle aged men hitting on underage (I'm talking under 18) girls. You may say underage girls dont sell beer on beer carts its against the law- that may be so, but they definitely do (or maybe they only used to, in the times before the world got even more super duper strict) I'm talking inappropriate comments, I'm talking physical contact, pinching stomachs, slapping butts, saying gross things- not to mention to the daughters of neighbors. Its probably less of a thing now a days with all of the modern women's rights stuff. But back in the mid to late 90's up to late 2000's I definitely witnessed it all the time. I cant say I've witnessed it since picking golf back up this summer.

I would much rather have people smoke weed on the course than drink. It would also remove a lot of terrible golfers that are probably a lot more likely to hold up play and tear up the course- I'm sure a drunk 4 some of high handicappers doesnt have a penchant for replacing divots or fixing green divots. I dont have scientific proof of this, but considering how little I see green marks replaced after company outings which I see all the time as I almost always play in the afternoon.

If you have any stance about weed not being allowed on the course, and you still think alcohol should be allowed- then you may be a hypocrite.

If you wanna smoke on the course do it so noone else sees you on a more empty day. And do it with some discretion. Im not a fan- i'm either really good and dont think about my swing or I get really bad and tense up and overthink it.

Lets talk about the real issue. I grew up working at country clubs and even caddying at Valhalla. Ive had 2 girlfriends work as "beer cart girls." one while I was in high school and one that told me about her experiences in the past working in a country club somewhere around Simi Valley, CA and that rich town outside of Sacramento. Not to mention I'd witnessed this behavior for years from the time I began playing golf at 6 years old to now.

I've witnessed and heard so many stories about drunk middle aged men hitting on underage (I'm talking under 18) girls. You may say underage girls dont sell beer on beer carts its against the law- that may be so, but they definitely do (or maybe they only used to, in the times before the world got even more super duper strict) I'm talking inappropriate comments, I'm talking physical contact, pinching stomachs, slapping butts, saying gross things- not to mention to the daughters of neighbors. Its probably less of a thing now a days with all of the modern women's rights stuff. But back in the mid to late 90's up to late 2000's I definitely witnessed it all the time. I cant say I've witnessed it since picking golf back up this summer.

I would much rather have people smoke weed on the course than drink. It would also remove a lot of terrible golfers that are probably a lot more likely to hold up play and tear up the course- I'm sure a drunk 4 some of high handicappers doesnt have a penchant for replacing divots or fixing green divots. I dont have scientific proof of this, but considering how little I see green marks replaced after company outings which I see all the time as I almost always play in the afternoon.

If you have any stance about weed not being allowed on the course, and you still think alcohol should be allowed- then you may be a hypocrite.

except for the hypocrite part, I can agree with the gist of your post. No question alcohol has destroyed more families and peoples lives and property and just about anything than pot has ever done. Alcohol is usually the reason why when we go places and do things we have to adhere to a bunch of rules and regulations that quite honestly can suck a chunk of the joy right out of many the things wed like to do and places we'd like to go to do them. Too many people just are not capable of behaving respectfully enough and alcohol is a huge contributor to that.

That said,.. I dont have to smell or breather in anyone's alcohol like I do their pot smoking. And right , wrong, or indifferent or morally right or wrong its still the fact that one is legal and the other (at least still in enough places) illegal. I personally think alcohol should not be allowed while operating a golf cart. Just look at all the drunken jerks on you-tube.

The other night at Topgolf league night the team next bay over had 2 players drunk as can be and honestly came so close to falling over the 3rd tier on a few occasions. You see, thats what i mean when i say irresponsible drunken jerks who cant behave properly are the reason the rest of us have to endure strict rules and regulations wherever we might go for enjoyment and recreation which can damper our otherwise better enjoyment of it. like most everything else...its just going to be a matter of time before enough serious bad things happen and in jury and or law suits, etc...then the whole topgolf setup, rules, whatever have you will have to get changed for the worse. Not a matter of if but when. Or at very least insurance goes up so high that they have to charge too much money. whatever the case..as usual drunken idiots always find a way to ruin things for everyone else. Just like beer cut off times at stadiums or no coolers allowed on a beach, etc,etc,...or a thousand other things that make it so respectful people have to now endure and have thier choice of recreation and fun somewhat diminished by too many rules all because some idiots cant control themselves when they drink. Sorry for the rant but its just the truth.

Not that alcohol is the only problem and idiots are idiots anyway i understand but when you add idiots plus alcohol they just become more idiotic and some people who arent normally too much of an idiot often can become one. The lovers become your bestest ever friend and the idiots becomes everyone nightmare. As a result those who wish to responsibly drink often find not only cant they or are now limited but even the things you might want to do which you were allowed to do for some more enjoyment at one time , are no no longer allowed. so...thank you to all those irresponsible jerkoffs out there who have ruined many things for the many responsible people out there. Ive said this about other things in life but there should be a natural affect that takes place where as those responsible for ruining things for everyone else should walk around with a bright blue face so that we all know who you are. And instead of the rest of us having to adhere to all the rules and regulations you placed towards dampening our one time more pleasant choices of recreations and activities , you can now just be locked out them while the rest of us enjoy ourselves they way we once were able to.

Ok im done

I don’t buy the argument that pot and booze are mutually exclusive. The 3 buddies that I have that smoke dope more than a couple days each week also drink almost every day. When I was around lots of heavy dope smokers in college, nearly all of the drank as well.
I also don’t buy the fact that pot doesn’t ruin lives. My brother started smoking dope when he was 11 and was a dealer by they time he was 15. Marijuana was a gateway drug for him as it was for many of his buddies as they looked for the next bigger high. He was an addict for over a decade and only getting busted by the feds and some jail/halfway house time set him straight. His dealer partner wound up in prison and dead at age 23. My brother got to relive the addiction nightmare with his daughter who of course got her start smoking dope. Both of them have dozens of friends who’s lives were turned upside down by addiction that got their start smoking pot. Those who tell me smoking dope is harmless and doesn’t/can’t lead to crack and other harder drugs are lying to themselves.
My buddy from California just called me last week to tell me that his 20 year old dropped of college - it started with pot and lead to meth. He’s a great kid who I coached for many years and was a next door neighbor that grew up with my son - family vacations together etc. My buddy and his wife had a typical California attitude about pot being “better” or no worse than booze and they now have certainly changed their thinking. There younger kids will be raised with a different view toward smoking marijuana.

Last edited:
I don’t buy the argument that pot and booze are mutually exclusive. The 3 buddies that I have that smoke dope more than a couple days each week also drink almost every day. When I was around lots of heavy dope smokers in college, nearly all of the drank as well.

well...it can be. I drink socially but dont smoke pot at all. As a late teen when my friends and i did smoke quite regularly yet we only drank sometimes if at parties and such.
There are plenty people who drink but dont smoke and also vis versa. Plenty who smoke almost daily yet only drink socially. And then certainly plenty who do both a whole lot.

well...it can be. I drink socially but dont smoke pot at all. As a late teen when my friends and i did smoke quite regularly yet we only drank sometimes if at parties and such.
There are plenty people who drink but dont smoke and also vis versa. Plenty who smoke almost daily yet only drink socially. And then certainly plenty who do both a whole lot.

I also drink responsibly and don’t smoke pot at all and also realize that some pot smokers don’t drink. And I could care less if people want to smoke or drink on the course or anywhere else as long as they don’t drive impaired or ruin my day in another way.

My argument is against those who think that pot is somehow harmless or less dangerous than booze. Go to any inner city where hard drugs, meth, and opioids are ravaging so many lives and almost all of those addicts got there start smoking dope. It’s not just my own family experience that tells me this, I’ve done volunteer work in these areas and seen it with my own eyes. There is no way of getting rid of booze or drugs but this prevailing attiude that pot is safe and booze is evil is dillusional. Legalizing pot may be a good thing tax wise but it also gives teenage kids the attitude that pot is OK since it’s legal. We are already seeing the decrease in safety on the roads in states that have made it legal. I hope all those voting in favor are also OK with paying higher car insurance rates becasue of the additional impaired drivers on the roads. It will also be interesting to see what college graduation rates for males is in those states a decade from now. I’ll bet it’s lower.
Those who think pot is equal to booze for their teenage kids are in for a rude awakening. All the recent research shows heavy teen pot smokers have lower achievement and decreased happiness later in life. A good friend of mine is a neurologist and he will tell you the research around THC and male brain development is showing nothing but bad news for those who smoke it under the age of 25. Part of the problem is the pot is now about 5 times more potent than it was 30 years ago. Our casual use of pot back then was not as dangerous and not nearly as addicting. Of course it’s legal now in 9 states with more states to make that move soon.

I also drink responsibly and don’t smoke pot at all and also realize that some pot smokers don’t drink. And I could care less if people want to smoke or drink on the course or anywhere else as long as they don’t drive impaired or ruin my day in another way.

My argument is against those who think that pot is somehow harmless or less dangerous than booze. Go to any inner city where hard drugs, meth, and opioids are ravaging so many lives and almost all of those addicts got there start smoking dope. It’s not just my own family experience that tells me this, I’ve done volunteer work in these areas and seen it with my own eyes. There is no way of getting rid of booze or drugs but this prevailing attiude that pot is safe and booze is evil is dillusional. Legalizing pot may be a good thing tax wise but it also gives teenage kids the attitude that pot is OK since it’s legal. We are already seeing the decrease in safety on the roads in states that have made it legal. I hope all those voting in favor are also OK with paying higher car insurance rates becasue of the additional impaired drivers on the roads. It will also be interesting to see what college graduation rates for males is in those states a decade from now. I’ll bet it’s lower.
Those who think pot is equal to booze for their teenage kids are in for a rude awakening. All the recent research shows heavy teen pot smokers have lower achievement and decreased happiness later in life. A good friend of mine is a neurologist and he will tell you the research around THC and male brain development is showing nothing but bad news for those who smoke it under the age of 25. Part of the problem is the pot is now about 5 times more potent than it was 30 years ago. Our casual use of pot back then was not as dangerous and not nearly as addicting. Of course it’s legal now in 9 states with more states to make that move soon.

Once again you are wrong. Most Addicts get their start with Alcohol. It's usually the first thing kids have access to since it's in the house.

I am not saying that there are no issues with MJ, I am just saying don't believe all the Propaganda that the Govt has been feeding us for the last 60 years. MJ is Far less Harmful than alcohol.

I don't want to play with drunks or people Zoned out on MJ or pills or whatever.

My basic philosophy is I don't care what you do till it affects me.

Perhaps that potency is why I suggested that i dont recall the smell ever being quite as powerful an odor back then. I could agree with what your stating (to some degree). Pot or booze can both be gateways to other drugs. When viewing pot or booze individually though I think booze harms more body organs than THC does. Liver, kidneys, other organs whatever else Im not really shore and certainly brain cells as well. Plus alot of booze can have sugars in them which of course is not healthy for the body as well. I do think the smoking of the weed does also have its tar and toxins (though not as bad) but in smaller part still much like cigarettes have. So there is the actual smoke in itself that is harmful in its own right without even considering the thc. And nowadays who the hell knows what the hell chemicals is is possibly even being put into the black market marijuana. that is one small part that legalization would help because at least it would be government regulated instead of up to the illegal drug cartels and such. Though on the other hand cigs are government regged and they dont even force ther makers to list the chemical ingredients because there are too many and too many people would quit just by reading them all and too many tax dollars would be lost.

But booze or pot dont always (and they dont) always lead to other drugs. There are millions of consumers of both who never ventured into anything else nor became addicts. The amount of people like doctors, lawyers, corporate executives, and many professional career people who hold highly regarded jobs and offices that smoke pot regularly (more than casually and even heavy) is a lot more than people think it is. Im not suggesting that makes it right or wrong but only that often when one of those same people is a heavy drinker they often cant maintain their same careers or at least not in the same capacity vs a similar heavy use of pot. Of course none of this is 100% and always exceptions.

so I get what your saying, but i think as for each one by itself that booze is overall a cause of more harm than pot is. I think pot is the lessor of two evils in that sense. But I could be wrong and honestly as it becomes more and more legalized and more a norm, we will eventually find out. As i mentioned in other post its usually alcohol consumption that tends to ruin many of the things we like to do for fun. Get a hundred people somewhat drunk vs another 100 somewhat high on pot and i would pretty much bet my house the drunk crowd ends up with many more problems than the high crowd.

On another note there are I think two things going on. There is legalization vs decriminalization. Thats two different things. One of course makes it legal, the other doesnt make it legal but only doesnt result in a criminal record and would be treated more like a traffic violation or township ordinance offense vs a felony record. But in the decriminalization ideology people dealing it would still be considered criminally drug trafficking. I dont know if all the states that have changed thier laws made it legal or only made it decriminalized. Like Colorado i know is legalized. While I believe Vermont only decriminalized it until recently legalizing it. A few years back while in vermont i was annoyed that my kids (younger at the time) had to smell it in our hotel and I wasnt liking it either as the entire wing stunk badly of it. The guests must have checked out next mroing cause it didnt happen again after the first night. But out of curiosity i had asked a couple officers I ran into in shopping plaza and they (at that time) told me it wasnt legal but all they could do was tell folks not to smoke it and give a summons but never arrested. So at the time that was decriminalization vs legalization which had not happened yet.

I still think it was funny they stripped Greg Haugen of his boxing title in the late 80s or early 90s because he tested positive for pot after the fight. Just think how bad he would have beaten the guy up had he not smoked any pot before the fight.

Back