Mizuno MP-H5 Irons Review Thread

it's not the size of the blade that counts:alien:

have you hit both to make an informed decision? I mean, the recommend that you wait 20 minutes after eating before you swim. We all know that is just a guideline. That is exactly what Mizuno is providing with their HDCP rating. You can know which will work better for you unless you hit both.
The target market for this iron is confusing to me so I'm having trouble getting my head around it. I'm imaginging others feel the same as I.

You go on the Mizuno website and they tout this iron as offering "launch forgiveness". The first thing the same website tells you about the MP-15 is "Forgiveness without Sacrifice". Right away, that tells me that if you need "launch forgiveness" then you have to sacrifice something else to get it.

Suggested handicap rating for the MP-H5 is Zero to 16. As a sixteen mylelf, I'm better suited to the JPX line in my opinion. If you're a mid-to-high single digit handicap, then do you really need help launching the ball, other than maybe as part of a mixed set? So it seems to me that other offerings in the Mizuno line are less confusing as far as what type of golfer for whom they're best suited.

Just out of curiosity (in other words, my feelings aren't hurt) - any reason for the general lack of interest here compared to the 850F's and even the MP15's? Certainly can't be related to the looks and they have a pretty hip shaft offering. Would be curious to hear some thoughts from the folks that aren't commenting.
Going into this review cycle (of the 3 Mizuno sets) I was thinking that these would, generally speaking, be the easiest to hit distance set. Initial comparisons indicate that this might not be the case. If that's true than I guess I'm relegated to the niche market that is interested in seeing if the 2-4 can replace my MP FliHi 2-4.

have you hit both to make an informed decision? I mean, the recommend that you wait 20 minutes after eating before you swim. We all know that is just a guideline. That is exactly what Mizuno is providing with their HDCP rating. You can know which will work better for you unless you hit both.

Hi Freddie - These are valid points and I'm in agreement. In this instance, I was looking at my own perspective in trying to answer Hawk's question as to why the MP-H5 thread didn't seem to be generating the same interest as the other threads of Mizuno irons currently under review.

I'm a Lefty, and my choices with Mizuno are the MP-54, JPX-850 Forged and JPX-850 models. That's one more choice than last year, so I'm thankful to Mizuno for that.

Of these, I've hit the MP-54 and found it a little intimidating, while I felt very comfortable with the earlier JPX-825, in limited range time with both. I am in the market for new irons in 2015, and am looking seriously at the 850 line (both cast and forged), and I look forward to hitting them.

I will follow this MP-H5 thread with interest. Even though not available in LH, I'm curious to learn more from Hawk's and other's experiences with these clubs and to see how they perform.

I've not really understood where these fit in for me. I don't see a lot of people looking at them at my local pro shop other than wanting the 3-4 iron (sometimes 5) to combine with the MP-15s. They look beautiful and they appear to be a nice gateway for someone who want to try more of a "player" iron. But honestly, if I was going to make that jump, I would go for the 850Fs just based on the fact it's "supposed" to be a GE iron more so than making a jump to the MP line.

That doesn't mean i'm not reading along and enjoying your review though Hawk :)

MBBG,
Ok, you're describing my game. Lower swing speed and a vertical miss. Though, I don't have a problem elevating any of my irons other than the 18* FlHi off the deck (15ish feet). With my game in mind, how would you compare the H5s and H4s to each other?

I really like the looks of these. Wouldnt mind giving them a try when looking for new irons in the spring.

I was fondling these at the local shop and to my surprise these were $100 cheaper than the H4 which did not make any sense, same shafts S300. I asked if it was a mistake and they said no. They really look nice in hand, if I had not pulled the trigger on the Z745 these were a serious consideration.

I am at my club and my pro has a demo set of these that he gave me to play nine holes with. I will be posting a few thoughts later on.

I am at my club and my pro has a demo set of these that he gave me to play nine holes with. I will be posting a few thoughts later on.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

So I was able to put this set in play today at my course for about 15 holes, then I went to the range for another 45 minutes or so and hit them against my H4's. First off, some photo comparisons between the H5 and H4:

photo%2B1-224.JPG

The H5 is on the left.

photo%2B3-267.JPG

H5 on the bottom

photo%2B2-218.JPG

H5 on the right

photo%2B4-239.JPG

H5 on top

I found the H5 more squared off while the H4 is slightly more oval. The H4 also has a slightly thinner profile.

The set I played had the C-Taper Lites in stiff flex. Looks wise, they are very sharp. I like them more than the H4's, mainly because that plastic/rubbery thing in the cavity of the H4's has always bothered me. There seems to be more weight behind the clubs in the H5's and I suppose this helps with launch, but I'll leave that issue to those who are much more knowledgeable. At address, the H5's reminded me a bit of the 545's. They seemed a little deeper than the H4's, but still a very nice profile at address.

Performance wise, I liked what I saw. I found them to launch higher than the H4's and they're definitely more forgiving. I didn't really see an increase in distance, but the higher ball flight was welcoming on a number of occasions. There is one par 5 that I always end up on the back of the green or just slightly off, typically hitting a 9 or PW in. I was in that range today and pulled a 9. The H5 seemed to get the ball on a steeper trajectory, which landed on the green and actually held. The shot that really impressed me was on a sidehill lie, 140 yards out, trees in a front of me and the ball below my feet. There was room on the left, so I figured if I put a normal swing on the ball, it would cut a little because of the sidehill lie. I some how pulled the shot off, which landed just in front of the green. To be fair, I've had to carry those trees before and the H4's have been fine, but actually being able to execute the shot I was thinking of stood out for me.

On the range, distances again were comparable between the two sets. Sadly, the H5's seem to be more consistent for me and on mis hits, staying more on line and going further than my H4's on mis hits. And higher. I guess the higher flight also made quite an impression since the shafts are about 20-30 grams heavier than in my H4's (I always thought heavier shafts were tougher to get in the air).

I'd like to get more time in with the mid and long irons, but I liked what I saw today. If I had to gripe about these, it would be the sound at impact. It's like a click/thwack. It doesn't bother me, but I'd prefer something else. Otherwise, it seemed like a solid set. I was surprised at the forgiveness in them, especially from my time with them in launch monitors.

As for who would want to take a look at these clubs, I would say low and mid handicappers that are looking for more forgiveness in their iron set. The profile is attractive and they probably do well in the working the ball department, yet get the ball high in the air and on line with most swings. I'm interested in comparing these to the JPX 850f. I'm sure I will see a jump in distance with the 850f, but I'd really like to compare the forgiveness of each set. Players in my handicap range could probably also game these, but I'd be sure to get dialed in with the right shaft and just like I plan on doing, will be checking out more forgiving sets before making any decision at upgrading. But I think the lure for these is that they stay straight and offer a high ball flight with a steep descent angle. That may change with the lower irons though; I just don't have enough experience with those clubs to comment.

I should also add that even though I was impressed with the H5's, the H4's certainly held their own. Yes I saw differences between the sets and some of the characteristics of the H5's are preferable, but it was very close. The H4's possess many of the same traits, but based on what I saw, the H5's are possibly a slight upgrade in performance and definite upgrade on the looks of the crown.

Thanks for the feedback PGG.

Spent some time with these and the 545's on a LM yesterday and will update at some point.

Thanks for the feedback PGG.

Spent some time with these and the 545's on a LM yesterday and will update at some point.

Looking forward to this, quite a bit actually.

Looking forward to this, quite a bit actually.

Fine then!

First of all, this was indoors off a mat. I tested a 545 8 iron vs the H5 8 iron. I picked 8 iron because it's the club I practice with the most and feel like I can get the most consistent results out of. Also hit the 3 iron on its own and then compared it to a X2hot 4h.

First, let's talk long iron. I saw something that I guess I sort of expected. Get me out of a fluffy lieor off a tee and it does become more difficult to hit and elevate. Total distance and ball flight matched what I was seeing out on the course the one time I hit it from a tighter fairway lie on Sunday, but the carry numbers were impacted. This is not surprising to me. First, I'm not swinging the thing 90+mph and second, my AOA is flat enough that longer irons in particular are difficult for me to elevate without either a fluffy lie or a tee. Just the facts of life I'm afraid.

To characterize the difference without getting too in depth - I saw similar carry with the hybrid to the total distance of the long iron and then the hybrid rolled more.

As far as comparing to the 545 -

-7 yards more carry (145.75/138.75) and 6.75 more total yards (150/143.25) from the 545. Those numbers back up what I see on course with the 545 in carry and total pretty well.
-2mph less swing speed with H5.
-4mph less ball speed from the H5.
-155rpm more spin from the H5.
-1° higher launch from the H5.
-Basically no difference in max height (1 yard). Both were around 25y max height.
-I was closer to center on average with the H5, but missed on both sides, where with the 545 I was consistently left of target (15-39 feet). Should be noted that 545's are bent upright for me.

So, appx a 1/2 club difference distance. A little more, but not much and that follows what I felt I observed on the course. Certainly acceptable to me considering the differences. I do want to specially point out the fact that I'm not seeing the wacky high launch angles I (and others) observed with the MP54's. That really made those irons short and unappealing to me on a personal level in terms of performance. With the right wedge gapping I could certainly accept a bit less distance I see with these if I chose to play them. Not saying I will, but it would be something I could consider. That's a very good thing.

Forgivness isn't on the same level from what I observed, but I can't quantify that b/c I forgot to bring impact tape.

Fine then!

First of all, this was indoors off a mat. I tested a 545 8 iron vs the H5 8 iron. I picked 8 iron because it's the club I practice with the most and feel like I can get the most consistent results out of. Also hit the 3 iron on its own and then compared it to a X2hot 4h.

First, let's talk long iron. I saw something that I guess I sort of expected. Get me out of a fluffy lieor off a tee and it does become more difficult to hit and elevate. Total distance and ball flight matched what I was seeing out on the course the one time I hit it from a tighter fairway lie on Sunday, but the carry numbers were impacted. This is not surprising to me. First, I'm not swinging the thing 90+mph and second, my AOA is flat enough that longer irons in particular are difficult for me to elevate without either a fluffy lie or a tee. Just the facts of life I'm afraid.

To characterize the difference without getting too in depth - I saw similar carry with the hybrid to the total distance of the long iron and then the hybrid rolled more.

-7 yards more carry (145.75/138.75) and 6.75 more total yards (150/143.25) from the 545. Those numbers back up what I see on course with the 545 in carry and total pretty well.
-Basically no difference in max height (1 yard). Both were around 25y max height.
-I was closer to center on average with the H5, but missed on both sides, where with the 545 I was consistently left of target (15-39 feet). Should be noted that 545's are bent upright for me.

So, appx a 1/2 club difference distance. A little more, but not much and that follows what I felt I observed on the course. Certainly acceptable to me considering the differences. I do want to specially point out the fact that I'm not seeing the wacky high launch angles I (and others) observed with the MP54's. That really made those irons short and unappealing to me on a personal level in terms of performance. With the right wedge gapping I could certainly accept a bit less distance I see with these if I chose to play them. Not saying I will, but it would be something I could consider. That's a very good thing.

Forgivness isn't on the same level from what I observed, but I can't quantify that b/c I forgot to bring impact tape.
Great thoughts Hawk. Wihout trying to get into the typical argument over it, would you attribute the increased dustance in the 545s to the 3° lower loft, a hotter face, or something else?

Fine then!

THANK GOODNESS on the bold. That was a disaster last year.

Great thoughts Hawk. Wihout trying to get into the typical argument over it, would you attribute the increased dustance in the 545s to the 3° lower loft, a hotter face, or something else?

Probably everything combined, which is pretty much always the case. I'm not going to slag on these or any similar iron for being shorter though. Just how they are designed. However, with the 54's for example, I saw an iron that was shorter than comparably built irons and I did think that was an issue.

Would have to probably change my wedge setup and carry the 4 iron to account for the differences.

Probably everything combined, which is pretty much always the case. I'm not going to slag on these or any similar iron for being shorter though. Just how they are designed. However, with the 54's for example, I saw an iron that was shorter than comparably built irons and I did think that was an issue.

Would have to probably change my wedge setup and carry the 4 iron to account for the differences.
Ok, i noticed the drop in SS and BS and wondered if that was maybe the shaft and lie angle differences effecting strike quality since "typical" math would suggest a 4mph decrease in BS would equate to about 6-8yds, therefore negating the loft idea.

Yea I guess I've not got down to that level and don't really plan to. It's what it is. One goes x yards and the other goes y yards. As long as I know which club to hit I'm good to go.

Yea I guess I've not got down to that level and don't really plan to. It's what it is. One goes x yards and the other goes y yards. As long as I know which club to hit I'm good to go.
Agreed, just trying to get a full picture in my head of what is going on. I play he H4 in 3&4 irons and love them so these intrigue me as to performance improvements.

Does someone have to have a certain amount of posts before people will pay any attention to what they say here? Serious question from a newer member.

Huh? Of course not, THP isn't that way, never has been and never will be.

**EDIT**

And I'll add, the bliss of this place is, the more feedback the merrier, it helps everyone in the grand scheme of making decisions on what they want to try out for themselves.

Last edited:
Hawk, with your launch monitor is swing speed simply calculated based on ball speed?

Does someone have to have a certain amount of posts before people will pay any attention to what they say here? Serious question from a newer member.

Not at all! I've seen your posts and they've had great info in them. I noticed that your feedback on spin and distance in comparing 545's to H5's was replicated by Hawk.

Not at all. I gave you big props for your post on the 545 thread!

Back