Mizuno ST-Max and Breaking Down the ST Drivers

I still can't stand the max naming convention with OEMs but this one sounds like a winner from a playability standpoint! I love Vosh's point to not pigeonhole the line to higher caps and keeping the face angle neutral. I think that's a big win for people. You hear here all the time about how a driver looking too shut keeps people away even if they need the forgiveness

Good, I find UT Dan boring.
Must be boring living in the fairway having short irons into every green. We’ll get there one day.

Also, really can't wait to hear the discussion from him about the 10K number. That should be spicy and I'm here for it!

I still can't stand the max naming convention with OEMs but this one sounds like a winner from a playability standpoint! I love Vosh's point to not pigeonhole the line to higher caps and keeping the face angle neutral. I think that's a big win for people. You hear here all the time about how a driver looking too shut keeps people away even if they need the forgiveness
neutral face talk is fantastic. I love hearing that because so many out there hear Max or a GI driver and instantly think it's going to sit closed.

neutral face talk is fantastic. I love hearing that because so many out there hear Max or a GI driver and instantly think it's going to sit closed.
Breaking that stigma is going to be big for them I think. I don't think "Max" necessarily means that automatically, but him pointing it out means that it's still assumed at this point

Fantastic video. Need to check this out.

Great informational video, the Max would be the one in my realm

I'm interested to hear where THPers think they fit into this lineup.

Blew my mind when he said he thinks the max is going to see Tour play.
I'd wager I'm in the ST-Z or more likely the ST-Max due to low spin issues. BTW, I think this portion of the website is fantastic!

1709626545406.png

There's been talk from many manufacturers on how they want to carry some things and tech from previous models, but it's not always easy to talk about or make clear what the progression is. My ex-marketing self is thrilled to see such a clear way of presenting the progression. Well done @Vosh68 & co.

What an excellent explanation by Vosh. Based on what I heard If I was to put one of these in play it would be the STX I think, a little easier to turn over but the Max sounds intriguing too.

The max interests me. Awesome video. Thanks!

I want to see Vosh come back on THP Live at some point and answer all our questions.

On a launch monitor the G would win out but I would game the STZ. The added forgiveness is just hard to pass up
The G is more forgiving than you would think.

The G is more forgiving than you would think.
Yeah but I know me. And I can be a launch monitor machine that doesn’t translate to the course. I’ve really changed my style of golf because of it. The Z looks excellent as well.

We are going to have a lot more coming with Chris in the form of video and audio in the near future.
Including a break down on irons, more on drivers, etc.

We are going to have a lot more coming with Chris in the form of video and audio in the near future.
Including a break down on irons, more on drivers, etc.
He’s one of my favorite people in the industry to watch and listen to talk about clubs. His enthusiasm for getting into the weeds is so fun and informative. Looking forward to this content.

Great breakdown of the different heads in the driver line. He makes it easy to understand. The Max would be the one i would try

I went to a Mizuno fitting yesterday and many concentrated on the ST-MAX Woods.
The fitter was from Mizuno and was their Fitter of the Year for a couple years in row.
We started on Hybrids, then Fairways and then Drivers
By time we go the Drivers I was a little gassed however this in one of my last swings from the ST-Max Driver
10.5* turned down to 9.5.
I honestly can't remember hitting a driver that was just this straight - no curve.
Admittedly, Spin was a little low as I hit it higher on the face.
The distance here is 12 yards longer that anything I've hit so far this spring.
Think I'll be putting this in the bag.

IMG_2170.jpeg

Last edited:
Chris is great. I think I’d start with the Max but I was intrigued when he said “easier to turn over”

I went to a Mizuno fitting yesterday and many concentrated on the ST-MAX Woods.
The fitter was from Mizuno and was their Fitter of the Year for a couple years in row.
We started on Hybrids, then Fairways and then Drivers
By time we go the Drivers I was a little gassed however this in one of my last swings from the ST-Max Driver
10.5* turned down to 9.5.
I honestly can't remember hitting a driver that was just this straight - no curve.
Admittedly, Spin was a little low as I hit it higher on the face.
The distance here is 12 yards longer that anything I've hit so far this spring.
Think I'll be putting this in the bag.

View attachment 9247050
Those look like my numbers except the spin. Keep us posted when you get it and pit it in play. Good luck

He’s one of my favorite people in the industry to watch and listen to talk about clubs. His enthusiasm for getting into the weeds is so fun and informative. Looking forward to this content.
The weight and axis talk is gonna be gooood. And I love how he talks about their goal being a higher moi, but not chasing a specific number at the expense of things they find important.

Picked up a max as I’ve been struggling a bit with my driver. I will say I feel so much more consistent with this than anything I’ve played in a while. Really saw some good distance and consistent hits. But man. This thing is loud when it hits in a dome. And I love it.

Looks to be the driver for me this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1436.png
    IMG_1436.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 6
I’ve played the z mostly successfully for the last 2 iterations. I have a max with the lighter linq red shaft on the way. I have the 6 version to compare it to though it’s maybe 1/2 inch shorter.

Oh yes and still can’t walk fully yet, so let’s buy golf stuff!!

I blame THP, @JB Chris Voshall (no more @Vosh68?) and @Iceman! for this😬😀😜

EDIT: Vosh is still here does not come up though

Last edited:
Hit the Max today at the expo. I talked with the fitter and they are seeing some serious action on the ST Max head. Lots of fittings ending with it due the combo of performance and forgiveness. I put some atrocious swings into it and a couple of decent ones. And the things this club let me get away with... While still giving out this when struck well:
1711149898367.jpeg
The carry and total are metres...

Back