Modern craft beer annoys me.

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, I don't mind paying a little more in your tap room, but gtfo with $18-$20 four packs. Seriously.

Also, I'm tired of going to the store and not being able to figure out what beer I'm looking at in your stupid cans.

In summary, suck it craft brewers. I like your beer, but I hate everything else about you.

One of the best threads you have ever started and I completely agree with you.

I was getting ready to come in here and fight about this. And here I am fully agreeing lol it’s getting out of hand. Tap rooms are even getting to a ridiculous point

• Staff
One of the best threads you have ever started and I completely agree with you.
I have started going Euro. I prefer Pilsners and Lagers anyway and you can always tell what they are. Funny, considering many of them have actual foreign languages on them.

• Staff
I was getting ready to come in here and fight about this. And here I am fully agreeing lol it’s getting out of hand. Tap rooms are even getting to a ridiculous point
I'll pay $6 for a pint from the guy with a beard and a drivers cap, but dammit. If I'm at home I do not think that's reasonable at all.

I'll pay $6 for a pint from the guy with a beard and a drivers cap, but dammit. If I'm at home I do not think that's reasonable at all.
I’m lucky if it’s only $6 now. We have these tap houses where it’s a whole bunch of different places beers instead of one brewery. Some of them are up to $8 or $9. Outrageous

If I’m buying a $20 4-pack, it better be a nice porch beer.

Yeah they have changed a lot in the last 10 years. I worked at a Steakhouse and Brewery in college and the beer prices were pretty good, you could get a growler for pretty cheap and refill for $11 ($8 during happy hour). I went to a few others around then that were similar. Now it seems like all of them are charging $7-10 per beer and like $20-$25 to fill a growler.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of them now carry a ton of different kinds. I've seen 15-30 different types of beer at them with all kinds of seasonal varieties. I like choice but when many of them aren't that good maybe you should focus on making 4-6 good ones and the occasional season/specialty.

First of all, I don't mind paying a little more in your tap room, but gtfo with $18-$20 four packs. Seriously.

Also, I'm tired of going to the store and not being able to figure out what beer I'm looking at in your stupid cans.

In summary, suck it craft brewers. I like your beer, but I hate everything else about you.
A couple beer stores here have started grouping beers by style rather than by brewery, which makes it far easier to choose for me.

smackdown live what GIF by WWE

Yeah they have changed a lot in the last 10 years. I worked at a Steakhouse and Brewery in college and the beer prices were pretty good, you could get a growler for pretty cheap and refill for $11 ($8 during happy hour). I went to a few others around then that were similar. Now it seems like all of them are charging $7-10 per beer and like $20-$25 to fill a growler.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of them now carry a ton of different kinds. I've seen 15-30 different types of beer at them with all kinds of seasonal varieties. I like choice but when many of them aren't that good maybe you should focus on making 4-6 good ones and the occasional season/specialty.
I can’t remember the last time I filled a grower because of this. Zero discount in doing so

I have started going Euro. I prefer Pilsners and Lagers anyway and you can always tell what they are. Funny, considering many of them have actual foreign languages on them.
I'm more into Stouts, but some of those are getting crazy too.

I chased quality craft beers for a few years. I, too, am tired of the overpriced 4pk, and don't care that they may be 20oz cans. That and the can graphics have become more of an art show and I'm tired of having to find and read all the fine print to get the details about the beer. I'm over it, buying more bourbon these days.

I’m lucky if it’s only $6 now. We have these tap houses where it’s a whole bunch of different places beers instead of one brewery. Some of them are up to $8 or $9. Outrageous
Damn, I quit drinking at the right time I guess. I thought $3.50 for a pint was crazy!

I agree with you and that's why I brew my own. I have two different coloured caps, one for NEIPA and one for porter, so I know what to grab.

Man, I totally agree! All these new designs just blend together in the cold box doors and you have no idea what type of beer it is or who made it. It's almost like the craft beer industry has decided to go the route of the mass market wine industry-put a fancy design on the label or come up with a catchy name and people will try it at least once! I still prefer bottles and will always go that route before cans, though the selections in glass are getting smaller & smaller.

I'm more into Stouts, but some of those are getting crazy too.
Local brewery down here, that is amazing, just came out with a new stout. $24 for a 2 pack of 16oz cans.

GTFO.

I think you can rate the quality of a brewer by the number of "normal" beers on the menu. If there is not one single plain lager or ale and the beer list is full of triple hopped or heavily spiced beers, they are likely a crap brewer that masks their awful off flavors by overhopping and/or overspicing. I prefer beer from malt, hops and yeast. If it tastes like it came from the candle section at target, I'll pass.

I can’t remember the last time I filled a grower because of this. Zero discount in doing so
The place I worked at I think it was $20 to buy and fill and then $11 to refill, granted this was years ago, but that was less than $3 a pint which wasn't bad. It's also they only place that I have ever seen what we called a squealer. It was a 2.25 gallon plastic jug that you laid flat in your fridge. It had the old gatorade cooler rubber button and we would put a little pigs face cutout over that so this it looked like the snout. That made the hole think look kind of like a fat little pig. I think it was $65 to buy and fill and then only $35 to refill. Not bad for basically a case of beer. There was a bag inside that was cold and pressure activated that would start to expand to keep air out and help the beer flow. That was pretty cool and a good deal. I've never seen it anywhere else though.

So you're saying you haven't been up to Green Tree in LeClaire?

Local brewery down here, that is amazing, just came out with a new stout. $24 for a 2 pack of 16oz cans.

GTFO.
Yeah that’s a bit…much

Back