Morgan Cup Iron Only Prep Round

dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
As part of my Morgan Cup prep work I have organised an "Iron only" round for next Wednesday. Today I played my second round with the Razr X Black irons and i'm really enjoying these irons. I know Cookie has done an irons only round recently and Coolbreeze was pondering it.

I feel this round will give me a different outlook on course management as well as an opportunity the give my Morgan Cup irons a good run out. I will update this thread Wednesday evening with my outcome.

Also has anyone else tried an iron only round ?? If so how did you get on and have you any suggestions ??

I've done this a few times. It's fun and different I played from the whites it really gives you a chance to hit almost all your irons in your bag. And like you said can really help you with course management. Great practice if you ask me. Good luck!

I've done it before and like Buck says it's a good way to use all your irons.

anyways, how is this different from The Morgan Cup Prep thread...?

I really enjoyed it with the J40's. Longest club was the 5i and I was seeing a max of 185 with it. Amazing how I was still able to hit GIR's and it's great practice for the 5 and 6 irons which I tend to not hit much.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes David!

I keep threatening to do this, maybe one afternoon next week I can sneak off.

We used to do this for HS golf, but I havent done it since. Perhaps I'll try it for 9 this week.

I'm loving all the Morgan Cup threads. Keep it going all, and good luck!

I am actually going to try this sometime as well.. It might not be very fun if I struggle with the longer irons though. There is no better feeling than throwing a dart with an iron

Have fun Kelly. Perfect your stinger!

--
Tapatalk2

I am actually going to try this sometime as well.. It might not be very fun if I struggle with the longer irons though. There is no better feeling than throwing a dart with an iron

Be sure to come back and let us know how you got on

As part of my Morgan Cup prep work I have organised an "Iron only" round for next Wednesday. Today I played my second round with the Razr X Black irons and i'm really enjoying these irons. I know Cookie has done an irons only round recently and Coolbreeze was pondering it.

I feel this round will give me a different outlook on course management as well as an opportunity the give my Morgan Cup irons a good run out. I will update this thread Wednesday evening with my outcome.

Also has anyone else tried an iron only round ?? If so how did you get on and have you any suggestions ??

I'm in if my irons get here before the MC

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I actually did this a few times during the Adams testing last year. I believe I shot 85 or 84 with them. I should try this with the RazrX irons (I would include the 4 and 5 hybrids, as I included the hybrids when I did it with the Adams).

I will have to make myself do it though, as we are coming down to the wire, and I want to also hit the woods as many times as I can too.

Here is a dumb question...do you consider your wedges as part of your irons?

I consider tham an iron, no doubt. But unlike the hybrids, I don't consider them part of the set. (Which they are not)

But if you are playing irons only, I definitely include everything but driver and woods, so in that case, yes, wedges are included. As is the putter!

Yes I do consider wedges part of my irons. The Razr X Blacks come in PW, AW, SW and LW as well

I consider tham an iron, no doubt. But unlike the hybrids, I don't consider them part of the set. (Which they are not)

But if you are playing irons only, I definitely include everything but driver and woods, so in that case, yes, wedges are included. As is the putter!

I'm gonna leave out my hybrid, just a 5i off every tee bar par 3's

The only thing I don't like about iron only rounds is you end up hitting 14 shots or so off the tee with your longest iron. In a regular round I will likely hit maybe 1 shot max off the tee w/ my 5 iron. I have played a couple of rounds this year with my hybrids as the longest club in the bag and it has helped with my course management, ability to hit my hybrids off the tee, and gave me the practice I needed with the longer irons.

Have fun out there Kelly, I have never considered it you must be thinking about someone else but have fun out there. I don't really see the point of an iron only round.

Do you move up to like the Senior tees or something? Maybe play the par 5's from the Seniors, the par 3's from the tips and the par 4's from the white's. If I played my regular course from the tips (like I normally do) with irons only, there would be holes where I couldn't even reach the fairway.

I'll be playing all holes from the senior tee's. Howzat I get what your saying but I have only played 2 rounds and 3 range sessions with the Razr X Blacks so one of my reasons for doing this is get more comfortable with them.

I've never done this but I'm going to. I think it will help you get the yardages down with the irons you rarely ever hit. I'm sure it can only make you a better ball stryker as well.

I'll be playing all holes from the senior tee's. Howzat I get what your saying but I have only played 2 rounds and 3 range sessions with the Razr X Blacks so one of my reasons for doing this is get more comfortable with them.

I think it's a fun idea. Luckily I have an 18 hole par 3 course here. It ranges from 116 yard holes to 225 yard holes. Won't the par 3's be wicked short from those tees?

Or just play everything from the whites. a 600 yd par 4 is still hybrid hybrid and a third club.
Do you move up to like the Senior tees or something? Maybe play the par 5's from the Seniors, the par 3's from the tips and the par 4's from the white's. If I played my regular course from the tips (like I normally do) with irons only, there would be holes where I couldn't even reach the fairway.

I like the sound of this....may have to try this sometime

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I think this would be the way to do it.

Here it what the scorecard looks like. Normally the yellows are in play for mid week golf but there wouldn't be any problem playing the par 3's from the whites

scorecard_b.gif

Back