Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I may need to hit you up on that one haha.

Lol. I used to just go with the flow Hawk and I was great at reading putts because i didn't have any fear. Sometime a year or two back I started thinking about it and messed it up. I'll give the knowledge I learned if you'd like haha. Just hit me up.

That's exactly my issue. I second guess my gut, which is basically missed-putt city. Working hard on trusting my initial reaction.

That's exactly my issue. I second guess my gut, which is basically missed-putt city. Working hard on trusting my initial reaction.

Agreed. I always got mixed up on uphill putts and their break, same with downhill haha.

I kind of keep my preparation to myself but I'm really starting to get a knack and a comfort level with an anser style, milled putter. I was extremely worried about this when finding out I was a Cleveland staffer but I've really been rolling the rock well lately. While I haven't made a ton of birdie putts, my speed and my reads have been exceptional. Tap in pars are nice. I'll continue to work on this aspect and over the next few rounds I'm really going to be pushing the envelope on scoring.

I kind of keep my preparation to myself but I'm really starting to get a knack and a comfort level with an anser style, milled putter. I was extremely worried about this when finding out I was a Cleveland staffer but I've really been rolling the rock well lately. While I haven't made a ton of birdie putts, my speed and my reads have been exceptional. Tap in pars are nice. I'll continue to work on this aspect and over the next few rounds I'm really going to be pushing the envelope on scoring.

I'm glad you're finding comfort TC. I really want to get my swing on video for you to look at again. I'll be doing lessons but in the meantime I'd like to not play a 40 yard draw. That's killing my prep right now. I was playing so well and its frustrating setting up the same and hitting a totally different shot.

I figured you'd get the hang of it quickly. I know they aren't custom, but have you thought any more about that Sub 50? I was actually thinking about the flow neck blade from that line yesterday.

You're awesome bro. Keep it up.

I'm glad you're finding comfort TC. I really want to get my swing on video for you to look at again. I'll be doing lessons but in the meantime I'd like to not play a 40 yard draw. That's killing my prep right now. I was playing so well and its frustrating setting up the same and hitting a totally different shot.

I imagine it is frustrating buddy but try not to focus to much on the result and focus more on increasing the amount you hit the ball in the sweet spot. Once you get that mastered, fixing the draw should be easier.

I've been going through a bit of a driver overhaul and it's starting to pay off. The last two rounds I've hit the ball better off the tee with a driver than I can remember. It sure does make golf easier for me.

As many of you know, I have spent months working on my short game to get it where it was a couple of years ago. It has really taken shape over the last few months and because of that I felt it was time for me to make a transition to my full game work again. I was spending some time on the range with a LPGA player and she said that at the impact zone, my club was normally in the right position, but I was using too much feel and natural athleticism to get it there and that is why I was missing once or twice off the tee each round pretty badly.

In her words, "being a feel player and having the touch you do is a great asset that most will not have, however relying it for your overall swing makeup has been what is keeping you down over the last 2 years. Timing keeps you in the game and when you don't play, the timing is a little off and with your busy life, you won't get past that hurdle. Being correct at impact is the key, and you have that, but getting to correct at impact is harder than it has to be for you."

This has bugged the crud out of me for days now and I decided to go see my coach. He took a look and made some minor tweaks immediately and I saw that after shooting a couple of bad scores, I was 1 over when doing the live club testing last week. Tomorrow I will be seeing him again for an update and one other thing he wants me to fix before our member/member in a few weeks at the club.

Interesting development has come up for me and one that I did not think I needed to make adjustments to, but thankfully she saw what I was doing rather quickly and hopefully I can take what I learn from my coach and get it worked out.

I figured you'd get the hang of it quickly. I know they aren't custom, but have you thought any more about that Sub 50? I was actually thinking about the flow neck blade from that line yesterday.

The Sub 30 line? I just need to know more about it. Obviously, I've been an insert guy for a long time so I naturally gravitate towards that line, but I'm starting to realize a few things about the milled putters that I am enjoying too.

You're awesome bro. Keep it up.

Thanks Jake. You're pretty awesome too dude!

That's really interesting, JB. Good call on talking with your coach and it seemed like you were reaping some benefits already last week.

That's cool JB. No doubt that when you come up with what it is you need to work on that you'll put a 100% into it.

Like you said, playing with professionals just makes you better.

The Sub 30 line? I just need to know more about it. Obviously, I've been an insert guy for a long time so I naturally gravitate towards that line, but I'm starting to realize a few things about the milled putters that I am enjoying too.

Thanks Jake. You're pretty awesome too dude!

Makes sense to me. I like the milled faces, mostly just on a personal level and that would likely be my only reservation going to the Sub 30.

As many of you know, I have spent months working on my short game to get it where it was a couple of years ago. It has really taken shape over the last few months and because of that I felt it was time for me to make a transition to my full game work again. I was spending some time on the range with a LPGA player and she said that at the impact zone, my club was normally in the right position, but I was using too much feel and natural athleticism to get it there and that is why I was missing once or twice off the tee each round pretty badly.

In her words, "being a feel player and having the touch you do is a great asset that most will not have, however relying it for your overall swing makeup has been what is keeping you down over the last 2 years. Timing keeps you in the game and when you don't play, the timing is a little off and with your busy life, you won't get past that hurdle. Being correct at impact is the key, and you have that, but getting to correct at impact is harder than it has to be for you."

This has bugged the crud out of me for days now and I decided to go see my coach. He took a look and made some minor tweaks immediately and I saw that after shooting a couple of bad scores, I was 1 over when doing the live club testing last week. Tomorrow I will be seeing him again for an update and one other thing he wants me to fix before our member/member in a few weeks at the club.

Interesting development has come up for me and one that I did not think I needed to make adjustments to, but thankfully she saw what I was doing rather quickly and hopefully I can take what I learn from my coach and get it worked out.

Thanks for posting this JB. I don't quite look the part but I was always athletic and timing was huge to my swing. I'm even more excited now to have a coach look at my swing and fix what I need fixing.

I imagine it is frustrating buddy but try not to focus to much on the result and focus more on increasing the amount you hit the ball in the sweet spot. Once you get that mastered, fixing the draw should be easier.

I've been going through a bit of a driver overhaul and it's starting to pay off. The last two rounds I've hit the ball better off the tee with a driver than I can remember. It sure does make golf easier for me.

TC that's great to hear. Not that I ever thought you needed any fixing but that sure is good news. Your game is going to sick come Morgan Cup time.

Like you said, playing with professionals just makes you better.

Hopefully that stands true, although you said it did not work that way for you too well. Although she did you give a pretty good tip while we were playing about balance and getting ahead too soon. She saw this and didnt immediately say anything. Then sent over the email (that I copied and pasted her thoughts above). It made sense to me and makes me want to work hard to fix it.

great post JB.... this is exactly why my game had plateaued. When i was hitting the ball well i was playing great but when my feel was off id have bad shots that would ruin my round.... glad im finally taking the steps i need to become a better golfer. wish i just had to do some minor tweaks instead of a complete swing change.

The driver is my nemesis Tmex. Always has been. I have an awful habit of not staying down and through the shot which results in a massive Bubba-cut. Now I don't mind playing a fade off the tee, but every now and then if I don't stay disciplined I can peel one off the planet. It has to go. What annoys me is that I know what I'm doing when I do it. I think I finally understand what Tiger feels like sometimes, LOL

So what I've been working on is keeping everything tighter. I've shortened the shaft length I play with, and I'm finding a spot a foot or so in front of my ball (on my target line) and I'm committing everything to that spot. If I can stay down and through and finish with the club head out and over that spot (so to speak), I'm seeing some phenomenal results. The Shorter shaft length is helping me see a much tighter impact grouping on the driver face and I am almost certain I'm seeing an increase in distance on the course.

I don't know if dedicated is the word I would use. Hehe. I bet your body froze up! Do you have a cart cover and heater like OG does? Sounds like a good day to stay inside and putt on a practice putting green to me.

Nope no cart cover no propane heater just layers of clothing and some cart mitts we don't get that jind of a weather in Houston often enough to have a cart cover or so I just suffered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully that stands true, although you said it did not work that way for you too well. Although she did you give a pretty good tip while we were playing about balance and getting ahead too soon. She saw this and didnt immediately say anything. Then sent over the email (that I copied and pasted her thoughts above). It made sense to me and makes me want to work hard to fix it.

She did give a tip and the final 3 or 4 holes were the best I had that day. You made a point to me though saying that it's not a 1 time thing, but being in that atmosphere repeatedly just helps up your game. I think if you eliminate that miss or 2 off the tee each round you will be even more deadly, which just scares the Chunkylover out of me.

She did give a tip and the final 3 or 4 holes were the best I had that day. You made a point to me though saying that it's not a 1 time thing, but being in that atmosphere repeatedly just helps up your game. I think if you eliminate that miss or 2 off the tee each round you will be even more deadly, which just scares the Chunkylover out of me.

Thank you. Unfortunately according to her, its going to get a little worse before it gets better, but if I commit to it for a month or so, I should be where i want to be come spring time. I agree that being in the environment of better players over time, it begins to change the player you are. Certain things rub off that are hard to describe.

This is something that I already knew, but never wanted to fix or change. However hearing from a friend and tour pro that I have taken it as far as it will go, made me snap up so to speak.

The driver is my nemesis Tmex. Always has been. I have an awful habit of not staying down and through the shot which results in a massive Bubba-cut. Now I don't mind playing a fade off the tee, but every now and then if I don't stay disciplined I can peel one off the planet. It has to go. What annoys me is that I know what I'm doing when I do it. I think I finally understand what Tiger feels like sometimes, LOL

So what I've been working on is keeping everything tighter. I've shortened the shaft length I play with, and I'm finding a spot a foot or so in front of my ball (on my target line) and I'm committing everything to that spot. If I can stay down and through and finish with the club head out and over that spot (so to speak), I'm seeing some phenomenal results. The Shorter shaft length is helping me see a much tighter impact grouping on the driver face and I am almost certain I'm seeing an increase in distance on the course.

Lol. That can be frustrating man. especially seeing how lethal you are from the fairway, I can only imagine how much this is going to take your game up a level. Are you still practicing just a couple times a week, speed sleeve every night?

Lol. That can be frustrating man. especially seeing how lethal you are from the fairway, I can only imagine how much this is going to take your game up a level. Are you still practicing just a couple times a week, speed sleeve every night?

I play once a week (at least) and range it up twice a week. I don't want to burn myself out. I don't speed sleeve everyday b/c I set a net up downstairs and I hit balls into it.

Man alive, I think I could hear a collective *groan* from all the Team Paradise and Team Hackers members after reading JB and TC's last posts here. JB that is great stuff and I know you're going to be able to get your game anywhere you want it to go. You're already a great player and this is going to make you even better. Good work! TC, I get inspired every time you talk about your golf game, I can't wait to tee it up with you in July!

I play once a week (at least) and range it up twice a week. I don't want to burn myself out. I don't speed sleeve everyday b/c I set a net up downstairs and I hit balls into it.

Thanks for sharing dude. It's good to see what the better players do and how they go about things.

Back