My first golf lesson

gts1982

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
I started really goling last year and got to play about five to six times a month maybe more. I have gotten to be okay, not very consistant though. This year I bought an annual pass to a golf course that is practicly in my back yard. The assistant pro there has given me a few pointers that have really helped my game. He is a Hank Haney level 1 certified pro. He offered to give me lessons for $20/hr. I thought this was too good of a deal to pass up, so I have one set for tomorrow evening. I am really looking forward to it and he said he would bring his Planefinder. I signed up to play a golf tournament this saturday with a company that the company I work for does a lot of sub-contracting for and i am hoping this lesson will help.

I have never had a lesson before and don't know what to expect. Has anyone ever had a lesson that did wonders for their game?
Has anyone ever had a lesson from a Hank Haney pro?

$20 an hour is a steal, Ive had some lessons in the past and go get 1-2 every year too when things get in a funk, with a little work afterwards, it gets me back on track, and hopefully the same to you

Good luck gts, I have recently started lessons myself and it will definitely make a difference in your game. Pay attention to what he tells you and try to get at least to the practice range once for every time you get out on the course.

$20 an hour is a steal, Ive had some lessons in the past and go get 1-2 every year too when things get in a funk, with a little work afterwards, it gets me back on track, and hopefully the same to you

Thats why I cant pass it up $20 is a steal, I almost feel bad. I am hoping it helps i have had a really bad funk especially with my driver. Hard to score when you don't know where your drive is going and hard to address the ball with confidence when you dont know what is going to happed.

I started really goling last year and got to play about five to six times a month maybe more. I have gotten to be okay, not very consistant though. This year I bought an annual pass to a golf course that is practicly in my back yard. The assistant pro there has given me a few pointers that have really helped my game. He is a Hank Haney level 1 certified pro. He offered to give me lessons for $20/hr. I thought this was too good of a deal to pass up, so I have one set for tomorrow evening. I am really looking forward to it and he said he would bring his Planefinder. I signed up to play a golf tournament this saturday with a company that the company I work for does a lot of sub-contracting for and i am hoping this lesson will help.

I have never had a lesson before and don't know what to expect. Has anyone ever had a lesson that did wonders for their game?

For the price it's hard to go wrong. Listen carefully to everything he has to say. As soon as the lesson is over take some notes so you can refer back to them regarding what to work on. The guy I'm taking lessons with actually gives me an index card with reminders of what to concentrate on afterwards.

As far as what to expect... He should take a look at your grip and posture, which he'll probably do while watching you take some swings. With any luck he'll video a couple swings for you so that you can see what your swing looks like, and how best to repair it.

Edit: Try not to be nervous. These guys look at golf swings all day. Don't try to make a perfect swing for him. Just put 'your' swing on it, that way he can help you the best/quickest way.

$20 is a steal! i paid $40/hr for mine. It worked real well. The pro was easy to understand and could see things in my swing that i would never see. I was horrible with my driver never got any height used to leak to the right a ton. He had me roatate my left hand to the right and rotate my right had left and since that simple move I have been bombing my drives. It was something so simple but I couldn't see it myself.

Enjoy the lessons and listen to everything he has to say!

For the price it's hard to go wrong. Listen carefully to everything he has to say. As soon as the lesson is over take some notes so you can refer back to them regarding what to work on. The guy I'm taking lessons with actually gives me an index card with reminders of what to concentrate on afterwards.

As far as what to expect... He should take a look at your grip and posture, which he'll probably do while watching you take some swings. With any luck he'll video a couple swings for you so that you can see what your swing looks like, and how best to repair it.

Edit: Try not to be nervous. These guys look at golf swings all day. Don't try to make a perfect swing for him. Just put 'your' swing on it, that way he can help you the best/quickest way.

+1, and also, you should be prepared to hit the range several times this week to get ready to play Saturday. There is no magic wand, and if you don't practice you will be worse then before you started the lessons.

That price is amazing.

As others have mentioned, take notes! Nothing frustrates me more than one of those aha moments that is lost as soon as I go to sleep. Also, hit the range as much as possible between your lesson and the tourney. Playing on the course really won't improve your technique much when you only get to hit each shot once every 10 - 15 minutes.

Hope you enjoy your lesson.

The last thing I have for you regarding what to expect... Clear your mind of what you think a golf swing should be. I made it a point to go into my first lesson with ZERO expectations.

For $20, you really can't go wrong with a lesson from a pro! Back in the day, I used to pay thru the nose for my teacher...

the company I work for does a lot of sub-contracting for and i am hoping this lesson will help.

What kind of sub work do you do?

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will be sure to take notes and hit the range this week also. I will post my thoughts after I get back home from my lesson.

I've been taking monthly lessons for about year. I was so screwed up when I started that there was no way one lesson was going to make a big impact on my game. One lesson can certainly make a big difference if you are having a particular problem but learning how to play golf well is a slow process. It takes patience and a lot of practice unless you're just gifted. You got a great deal at $20 per hour. I hope it goes very well for you!

That price is amazing, it is at least $40-$50 an hour in my neck of the woods.

Let us know what you think of the "plane finder" too, saw the infomercial on it and I'll be interested to hear how you think it worked for you. Good Luck!

I just got home from my lesson. It was good. Three things he told me to work on is grip( I dont put enough pressure on my right thumb), give myself a little more room between me and the ball, hold my lag a little longer (now I need to also work on turning my hands over faster), I have a tendancy to checken wing so I need to do the glove drill and turning my body and hips through more.

The lesson went well all in all, at least my laundry list is shorter than I expected.

The planefinder is cool, it gives you a lot of insant feedback and great visualization of where the club should be as far as plane goes. You can still hit pushes or pulls because it doesn't affect club face. He said I have a pretty good swing plane already so I didnt have much of a problem hitting balls through all the setting biginner to advanced. I think if you have a problem swinging on plane (club path) the planefinder would be a great training aid, if you have a problem getting back to square not so much. In my first year of golf (last year) it would have helped so much.

$20 take that and run dont stop....haha

Glad to hear that the lesson went well. Work on everything he mentioned until you are comfortable with it. Then, and only then, schedule your next lesson. My guy gave me a couple changes my first round, and then a few more on my second go around. I'm still working to incorporate lesson two fully before I go back for #3.

I spent about two hours on the range last night working on what he told me. I hit about half a bucket with a glove under my right arm and got comfortable with the feeling. Worked on holding my wrist hing longer and got to where I was hitting really good shots I need to keep working on everything then I would liked to get more lessons.

Keep at it gts. It feels awesome when you start seeing more, and more good shots!

Thank you for the tips. It does feel god to get more good shots in a round.

You made the first step towards getting better. There are many folks out there who are afraid to take a lesson because they are afraid. I would rather be embarrassed and get it fixed from my pro than be embarrassed constantly in front of your playing partners. I am proud of you for taking that first step and keep at it.

Back