tyno

War Eagle's friend
Reaction score
Handicap
kids
In 7 years since graduating college and living out in the world, I've never....not once, had good neighbors.
Feel free to discuss your similar problems with neighbors in this thread.
Unfortunately, this post will turn into a situation about my current neighbors and dogs, etc....but I just needed to get it out somewhere.

My first apartment was all that I could afford just coming out of school, so it's understandable that the others that lived there weren't the best types of people. Looking back though, those ones did the least amount of "bothering", but it's not as if we hung out or even knew each other.

Quickly I looked for a different (better) place and happened upon this house for rent that my buddies had lived in before. The price was great for what we got, especially being able to split it with another person, and for a period of time 2 other people. It was amazing to me that 20 some year-olds were ever able to rent a house that nice.
The neighborhood however, was crappy, and the houses were only feet apart. Everyone was old or on welfare and were not friendly. Again, I guess I shouldn't have expected any better. One guys dog would bark all day/night and someone called the cops on us once for playing music too loud. C'mon man. It was the middle of the day in the middle of the summer! But I guess it was "live music" which can get pretty loud in close quarters....

Next I moved closer to my job and again split an apartment with a buddy of mine. Problem was, the town I moved too was even worse. LOL. But for the quality and the price, you again...couldn't beat it, especially splitting it! It was a "side duplex" so the neighbors basically lived in the same house. But when we moved in, no one else lived there yet. Then these people moved in soon after...one guy was an alcoholic and his girlfriend was weird. They had a dog who they couldn't maintain, as he was vicious and would bark and growl at people or soon after, my dog. Also the guy that lived across the street owned the loudest motorcycle on the planet, and I swear he'd rev it up for 20 minutes at 6am before he would even take off. When my now wife moved in with us for a bit when she was doing a medical rotation in that area, we couldn't get out of there fast enough. It sucked.

So finally we got married and bought a house. A great house for a first house IMO. I really stand by the price I was able to get for it, paying less that it was worth and the area isn't that bad at all. We're kind of in the country but not too far away from the closest Walmart or gas station. None of the neighbors were really "welcoming" so to speak. Most of them are older/retired, but don't go out of their way to be nice, save maybe 1 of them. But the biggest issue is the next-door neighbors who have gotten on my nerves every day for 4 years. Their kids have no respect for boundaries and they do nothing about it either. The girl would rather talk on her phone than watch her kids do whatever they want. I've seen their 6 or 7 year old son play with a bow & arrow, fire, and a weed-whacker, all unsupervised. They've had domestic issues multiple times and the state police have been at their place 3 or 4 times that I know of. The guy doesn't live there anymore and supposedly he had issues with prescription medication, but I don't know if that's true. He's also been super nice to us and is quick to discipline his kids and or dogs when they're out of line. The dog is the worst part. It's collarless, supposedly licensed...but always roaming free in the neighborhood, especially in my yard. It would piss me off if I didn't have dogs as well, but I do. I have 2, and they go absolutely nuts when that dog is in our yard....and rightfully so. My dogs are on a wireless fence, and if they've ever left my lawn...it's possible that their battery ran out or they chased another dog from our yard, and gotten shocked and not cared. If it's ever happened, it's could only be once or twice. They respect the fence very well. As of late, and it coincides with the guy moving out...their dog has roamed free just about every day. It's in my lawn constantly, I've seen it in other people's lawns and even seen it play in the road for a good amount of time. When confronted about it, the girl was immediately defensive and just the type of person who will deny and lie about things to start an argument when all I wanted to do was reach out and ask if they could keep a closer eye on their dog. She claims that it knows how to open the gate and escapes all the time. And while I believe that, I've also seen it roam free while they are outside and able to keep an eye on it. I've never seen it on a leash or with a collar, and she claims that my wireless fence interrupted their fence so they can't use it anymore. I know that is possible, but my fence barely stretches from the sides of my house, leaving plenty of space that the boundaries shouldn't join. I'm just sick of always having to do the right thing, but never having respectful people around me that will do the same. Like I mentioned, I confronted her about it and she immediately was on the defensive and started an argument, claiming that my dogs are in her lawn every day and attack her dog. Needless to say, I got upset and the discussion went poorly. As a neighbor, I just want their dog out of my yard or just to have them at least have a system in place to control it. And if accidents happen, I understand that. But as a person, it would be nice if they could take better care of their dog.

So unfortunately, most of what I've read sucks....and it ends up being my word against hers most of the time. I could call animal control if I felt the dog wasn't contained or being mistreated, which in some ways, I do....to which she said she'd gladly pay a fine and then accuse me of harassment and trespassing! LOL! All because I asked nicely if they could please keep their dog out of my yard. Then you basically start some type of war, when all I want is to just be left alone and never have to talk to any neighbor! It's a pretty crappy situation I know...and I'm just really lost. I hate having to put up with this stuff because one person just can't be decent about something. I don't understand why I always have to be the one who suffers because I do the right things.

Sounds like a good bee bee gun might be just what the Dr. ordered. Would give him just enough of a sting to roam somewhere else.

My neighbors are all awesome. I don't know their names and have never had a reason to talk to them. They're perfect

We have had some tough neighbors. We had the old man that waited for me to go inside to berate GG and MikeDean had to hold me back from going to knock on his door. That was a rough one.

But your situation is rather tough. Have you thought about putting up an actual fence? I know the cost can be hard to deal with, but it seems like it could rid you of your issues? Something like a nice privacy fence that would keep your dogs in, theirs out and rid you of the issue.

Sounds like a good bee bee gun might be just what the Dr. ordered. Would give him just enough of a sting to roam somewhere else.

I'm unfortunately thinking about it....
I love dogs, I do...but this dog is so dumb, I don't think it would phase him.

We have had some tough neighbors. We had the old man that waited for me to go inside to berate GG and MikeDean had to hold me back from going to knock on his door. That was a rough one.

But your situation is rather tough. Have you thought about putting up an actual fence? I know the cost can be hard to deal with, but it seems like it could rid you of your issues? Something like a nice privacy fence that would keep your dogs in, theirs out and rid you of the issue.

yeah, i've half-walked to their house 100 times and turned around....

it's come to that. calling the county today and seeing what that involves.

I know a lot of people don't like hearing this but it's true, good fences make good neighbors.

Put up a real fence. Personally I don't want super friendly neighbors I want a neighbor that will wave and say hello when they see you. Maybe chat over a beer while you are both doing yard work.

People don't have the same ideas on how to live and I won't claim my way is the only acceptable way and I don't really care what my neighbors do until it interferes with how I want to live which seems to be what you are going through.

I would try and chat with her and just figure out a resolution although it sounds as if she won't hear any of it. At that point I would take it in my own hands and put a fence up

Those checks that I have been sending them monthly to bug the **** out of you so you move closer to us seems to be working *evil laugh*

Serious sauce though, I still like you, and we would have fun being neighbors, just saying..

All but one house in our neighborhood is great. The bad one is really bad. Sometimes I want to do bad things, but for the most part I just try to ignore them. Sort of tough since their kids seem to like my kid, but I try.

Fence is the answer. Tall one.

no fence ordinance in my county as long as it's under 6ft high, so that's cool.
i have a feeling the cost of it is going to suck royal.

It is going to be expensive (and worth every penny).
I can only offer one piece of advice. Get a good fence. It will cost more now, but save a fortune down the road.

We have awesome neighbors except for the crazy lady that lives across the street who is basically a squatter (man I hate her). When I lived in apartments, it didn't matter how nice of an area they were located. There was always one apartment that had noisy, smelly, nosey, crazy tenants. I'm so glad to be out of apartments!

Most of our neighbors are great, we have a great block, but the neighbor to my north is a train wreck. Dogs barking, house falling apart, nothing but weeds, yard full of crap, doesn't clear snow, always drives a car with a bad muffler, cusses loudly, drinks excessively, no job, just basically doesn't think about other people. I feel really bad for her kids since most of this describes our house growing up.

I just try to take care of my business and avoid her. I will be getting a fence.

what really sucks, is this whole situation has put me in a horribly bad mood.

The cost does suck at the beginning, but then having it is a real benefit.

Ya, count me in on the fence column.

I've been a bit lucky too. We moved into our house almost 2 years ago and the two houses directly behind and next to us have been vacant the entire time. The one across the alley hasn't had anyone living in it for probably 10 years or more, but the people who own it keep it up and mow the grass. The house directly behind us, there was an older lady who owns it, but she's been in a nursing home and recently passed away. So now that house is for sale, so I'm crossing my fingers we get a good neighbor.

I know several people who believe in this theory.

All but one house in our neighborhood is great. The bad one is really bad. Sometimes I want to do bad things, but for the most part I just try to ignore them. Sort of tough since their kids seem to like my kid, but I try.

Fence is the answer. Tall one.

I know that situation about being nice to a neighbor because their kids are friends with your kids.

For the most part, my neighbors are fine. We have a house in the neighborhood that I wish a younger couple would fix up. They occasionally throw parties, even had makeshift swimming pool in the back of their truck one day for a 'pool' party. But they're never noisy or bothersome, and actually really nice people.

I do have one neighbor, who is moody, and who has a daughter that me and my wife have all but banned from our house because were pretty sure she's just casing it. It prompted us to install dead bolts, and I'm actually considering a few security cameras on the outside of the house. But it's not like we can just tell our neighbor "hey, your daughter can't be here anymore, because she's a thief and crook who just wanders in and out of people's cars when they aren't looking." (which I've seen happen). If we actually said that, then she would take it out on her granddaughter (who also lives with her) who is like, my son's best friend ever.

My neighbor also complains multiple times a year that the snow from my driveway gets pushed into her yard. The day she actually does something about it will be the day that I no longer tolerate her 4 dogs coming to my yard to leave their presents.

Tyno, most areas have dog at large statutes (means a dog, off the owners property, and not under the owners control or restrained in any manner). It's just a piddly misdemeanor with a piddly fine. Who cares if she accuses you of harassment and trespass. I don't think telling someone their dog is loose qualifies as harassment, and you have to not have permission to be on land for trespass to be an issue. I'm a city prosecutor, and I (and the city) get accused of harassment all the time when we ticket someone for dog at large, or junk in their yard, etc. Out of the dozen or so threats of "i'm calling the state legislature, ombudsmen, local news, President, etc., none have actually followed through, or at least we've never been contacted. Occasionally I get a letter from another lawyer saying one city or another (my firm represents multiple cities) accusing the city of harassment. I send usually about a 4 sentence letter back stating that their client broke the law and I don't even respond to harassment accusations anymore. It never goes anywhere.

Anyways, I got long winded. If you want to solve the problem without stirring the pot, build a fence.

~Rock

My wife and I have had a mix of neighbors in the past 5 years. We bought a house and had excellent neighbors. After a couple years we both lost our jobs and had to relocate when we found new jobs about 2 hours away. We rented a condo and had very inconsiderate neighbors there. Only stayed about 7 months before moving again to a townhouse. We have good nighbors on one side, but the other side are really loud. They are constantly slamming doors and cabinets.

I have a neighbor down the street like this, miserable SOB. Yelled at my wife about our dog when she's alone but won't say a damn thing if I'm with her...real tough guy :)

We are blessed to live in an awesome neighborhood. Several families with kids in a similar range as ours. A lot of good people. It is very common for the parents to hang outside on a patio together drinking beers while the kids play hoops, etc. We have a couple of block parties each year (5th of July, Memorial day). It is a good deal. The best part for me is we are at the end of the block and the others are in the middle of the block, so we can be involved as much or as little as we choose.

My one bad neighbor that comes to mind was the drunk/drug user lady that lived above us at our apartment. She would take loud baths at like 2am every night, continuously running water over and over. She also was prone to substance aided loud fights with her boyfriend, falling down the stair and needing help (from me or 911).

HAHAHA i like the idea.

I can honestly say that for the most part, I have some really great neighbors. We live about a mile outside the city limits of a small town (no Walmart if that tells you anything) and it's just a really great place.
There are around 25 houses in what we consider to be in our neighborhood and we all keep an eye on things for each other and help each other when needed. We have also been known to have neighborhood Christmas light contests, potlucks, Halloween parties, etc...
Several of us often get together in the evenings for a few games of washers and some cold refreshments.
Like any other place, it's not perfect and there have been a few issues, but nothing major.

After reading this I know I am one of the lucky ones. I know every neighbor on a first name basis. I live in a court with 7 houses - been here 26 years. 4 of my court neighbors have been here even longer, and we all had kids that pretty much grew up together. My next door neighbors that have 'only' been here about 8 years are great - have greatly improved their property and are really nice folks. The newest neighbors have been there about 7 years and though they keep more to themselves, they are quiet and good neighbors. Even the three houses that are on my backside - I know all of them on a first name basis, and 2 of them are or were members of my church. There have been some crappy ones in the distant past, but for years it has been really a blessing how good the neighbors are - I haven't really realized how lucky we are.

I can't wait until DevRickus finds this thread and exceeds the character limit with his initial attempt at posting in here.

Back