New 2011 Cleveland Niblick

Really? "Something useful"?

I pose this to you then, if it helps you and your game, is it not useful? Most Niblick bashers have never even swung one, others simply hang on the EXTREMELY old "its just a chipper" routine. Fulls swings on these are bliss, its a shame so many STILL let their ego's get in the way with things like this.

Besides if you're going by that principle then get rid of any hybrids and learn to hit a one iron to save room for "something useful".

Sheesh.

I have to admit that I am one of those fools. I really need to try one of these. I mean geting up and down is the absolute weakness of my game. I think I'm going to check this out this weekend.

you're more than welcome to check mine out at the Outing
I have to admit that I am one of those fools. I really need to try one of these. I mean geting up and down is the absolute weakness of my game. I think I'm going to check this out this weekend.

Thanks Hanks. I think I will take you up on that offer.

Might want to check out a 49* as well CG....deadly from 100-105, automatic for 20-25yd chips, and great fro when you're on the collar of the green and don't want to use the putter

I have a 42,49,and 56 2010 niblick - my home course has 2 practice greens that i practice my chipping/pitching on - up here; the greens do not get too fast - so i prefer the 42 for greenside chipping where i need it to run, and the 56 for almost flying it to the hole and 2 bounce then stop and out of sand i just hit the 56 so much cleaner than any of my CG15 wedges. Down in FLA - ill bet i wish i had the 49 for chipping... on those faster greens.

and it always seems to know when I'm thinking of taking it out of the bag too....that's when I have great days with it

LOL, the day i took out the 56; i hit 4 balls into the sand and i just wondered, seriously, how is that possible - i of course did not have one sandie that day :(

I hear what you are saying and that makes sense. I used to carry all 4 niblicks in my bag. Then I decided I should learn wedge play using real wedges and use th e niblick for specialty shots that I can't hit with the wedges. There is a balance there somewhere

I agree - i attributed my love of the niblick to being unable to learn the right "wedge feel play" you are talking about. I spent alot of time just hitting my cg-15 at half back, and 3/4 swings to get yardages down - and that helped alot with my pitches. But there is something about chipping with the cg15 56 and the niblick 56.. i mean same loft?!? but the results are never the same. The niblick feels so "perfect" while if you miss the sweetspot on the cg15 its just not the same...

Im debating dropping my 4 and 5 iron - replaced with a mashie - since its easier for me to choke down on a hybrid and alter distance - id rather have more gaps for my short game and this would free up a much needed slot for a niblick.

ill probably bring my niblicks to PGA national - and decide which to game (leaning 56)

Bingo!!!! It's so nice that all you have to do is make a quicker putting motion and the ball just goes where you want it with minimal roll on those greens
I have a 42,49,and 56 2010 niblick - my home course has 2 practice greens that i practice my chipping/pitching on - up here; the greens do not get too fast - so i prefer the 42 for greenside chipping where i need it to run, and the 56 for almost flying it to the hole and 2 bounce then stop and out of sand i just hit the 56 so much cleaner than any of my CG15 wedges. Down in FLA - ill bet i wish i had the 49 for chipping... on those faster greens.

I'm interested to know if anyone who has played the old one feels anything different about the new one as the design is slightly different...

I'm interested to know if anyone who has played the old one feels anything different about the new one as the design is slightly different...

From range time I can say the trajectory and feel are very similar to me (I have both the 10 and 11 49*) as far as spin I'll have more for you tomorrow when I get on course.

From range time I can say the trajectory and feel are very similar to me (I have both the 10 and 11 49*) as far as spin I'll have more for you tomorrow when I get on course.
Nice - thanks for the update - can't wait to hear about tomorrow - good luck!

Currently still carrying (3) of the (4) orignal Niblicks plus a 60*/8* LW. I actually thought I might be down to (2) Niblicks in the bag by now but that is not the case. The Niblicks replaced conventional PW, GW and SW in my bag. Sometimes, I think I could possbily drop the 42* because I usually play on very fast greens and have always been pretty good with a conventional 8-iron for bump and runs, plus the 49* Niblick is almost as good as the 42* if you play it further back in your stance and lean your hands forward a bit more. The 49* is actually better for pitching than chipping however.

That said, I can't justify removing the 42* because if I did, the conventional PW would go back in the bag. The 42* is so good as a PW for full shots that I now prefer it for that purpose over a conventional PW. Futhermore, hitting knockdowns during windy condtions is far easier with the 42* Niblick than with the conventional PW. Wtih the 42* Niblick obviously mujch better for the longer bump and runs around the greens compared to a conventional PW, looks like the Niblick 42* will remain in the bag...so (3) Niblicks in the bag may be permanent..

Still, if I had to drop 1 of my 3 Niblicks, I suppose the 42* would be the one to go. The 49* and 56* are so indispensible on the fast green courses I play. There is no way I could ever part with either of those. In fact, if it werent for those occasional firm or hardpan lies or those steep downhill lies in the greenside sand, the 56* Niblick could also handle the 60* Lob Wedge dutiies as well. I find it very nice for lob shots from soft fairways, so I am using the 60* LW much less now.

Last edited:
After spending time with the 49 today I can say that it is an excellent pitch club. I will still keep my GW in the bag as I do have good touch around the green with that club and has very low bounce. I really love the trajectory the 49 puts up. I may try to find an older 56 with sharp grooves, bet that club can really rescue a hole.

I think the Niblick will be a stroke saver. I don't have a bad short game, but I do have opportunities to reduce errors close in. Can't tell you how many times my approaches have rolled off the green into some nasty lie. My MP T10's leading edge is so sharp it is very challenging to get through thick rough without sailing over my target. Other wedges just twist in my hand. I can already tell this will be a fun club. I have soft hands around the green, a good thing usually.

Anyone flatten theirs out? Even 1-1.5 degrees would be helpful, just don't want to break the thing.

I know a few of my dad's friends could use this. Heck, I may try one for chipping out of Bermuda rough!

I would love to hear more reviews on these--(NOT WHY WE SHOULD'NT USE THEM). I have 4 of the Niblicks 2010 models and love them. I know they are not for everybody, but what club is?? I normally don't chip alot with them. I use them mainly for full or partial swings. I have a 62 and 58 Jaws and love them also. I started chipping with 56 a little before snow. The best part of the Niblicks that I like, its almost always a good shot with this club. They hit a little lower and thats good on windy days. I'm very curious if 2011 better then 2010. My handicap varies between 4 and 7. So I think they would help alot of people. 2 of the Eagles 2010 summer I had were on par 4's. Thanks to Niblick second shot. They seem very accurate with baby draw.

2010 Niblcik

2010 Niblcik

I've still got the 49-D Niblick in my bag. And the wife has my other 42-p. These are great versatile clubs, not just for chipping. when I used the 42-p I could hit 10/10 balls in a circle around the 110 flag. And there are a couple of par 3 courses we play that on any day may have the flag at 110-112. Money with the club on a full swing. Pitching is just as nice. I still use the Niblick-D 49° 10°b quite a bit. It is my 95-105 yard club.

Well, after looking over pictures of the new Niblicks, I decided to buy myself a new, unused 2010 model 42* instead. It looked to me (based on pictures only) that the 2011 42* has a wider sole and smaller extended flange -- kind of more like the 2010 49* model. And I definitely prefer the feel of the 42* over the 49*. So after playing a Par 3 course last week, I was reminded how versatile the 42* is, and why it is my favorite club. I just couldn't see how the 2011 model could better the 2010, so since the grooves were starting to wear down, I just bought another 2010 model.

I'd love to hear more comparisons between the 2010 and 2011 from people who have played both, though. I'm especially interested in hearing about the 2011 56* because the picture I saw indicated that it will also have a bi-level extended flange, which the 2010 model did not. I think it's that odd flange that really makes Niblicks unique.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any issues with the club length? I was thinking of picking up a 49* 2011 model but my PW is 35.5 and the Niblick only 35. I normally play my PW & GW about the same length. Any 6'+ fellows gaming stock Niblick shafts? How's that working on full shots or 3/4 shots?

Does anyone have any issues with the club length? I was thinking of picking up a 49* 2011 model but my PW is 35.5 and the Niblick only 35. I normally play my PW & GW about the same length. Any 6'+ fellows gaming stock Niblick shafts? How's that working on full shots or 3/4 shots?

I'm 6'3 and it hasn't bothered me a bit. You really don't notice it because of the weighting IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I had a discount coupn and ordered myself a 2011 56*, sight unseen. It arrived last week. Went to the range twice and played 9 holes this week.

I thought the extended flange meant it would have a narrower sole than the 2010. I had hoped the sole would be narrower to get a nimbler feel and better performance on fairways and tight lies. But the sole is actually wider, and when you add on the flange, you have a huge sole that is just as wide as the old Cleveland 588RS. So far, I prefer the 2010 56* to the 2011. I may get used to the 2011, so time will tell, but the 2010 is smoother for me on full swings and chip shots from tight lies. I also prefer the 2010 from light rough, but I might lean towards the 2011 in heavy rough. I prefer the 2010 out of bunkers -- the 2011 doesn't cut through the sand the same way. Overall, I'm not sure if Cleveland's changes were for the better.

Well, after looking over pictures of the new Niblicks, I decided to buy myself a new, unused 2010 model 42* instead. It looked to me (based on pictures only) that the 2011 42* has a wider sole and smaller extended flange -- kind of more like the 2010 49* model. And I definitely prefer the feel of the 42* over the 49*. So after playing a Par 3 course last week, I was reminded how versatile the 42* is, and why it is my favorite club. I just couldn't see how the 2011 model could better the 2010, so since the grooves were starting to wear down, I just bought another 2010 model.

I'd love to hear more comparisons between the 2010 and 2011 from people who have played both, though. I'm especially interested in hearing about the 2011 56* because the picture I saw indicated that it will also have a bi-level extended flange, which the 2010 model did not. I think it's that odd flange that really makes Niblicks unique.

I'm 6'3 and it hasn't bothered me a bit. You really don't notice it because of the weighting IMO.

6'2 here and no issues with the shaft thus far, like previously mentioned, the weighting does the trick

My experiment with the 2011 56* Niblick ended last week, for the reasons below. Back to my 2010 model. Anyone prefer the 2011s?

So I had a discount coupn and ordered myself a 2011 56*, sight unseen. It arrived last week. Went to the range twice and played 9 holes this week.

I thought the extended flange meant it would have a narrower sole than the 2010. I had hoped the sole would be narrower to get a nimbler feel and better performance on fairways and tight lies. But the sole is actually wider, and when you add on the flange, you have a huge sole that is just as wide as the old Cleveland 588RS. So far, I prefer the 2010 56* to the 2011. I may get used to the 2011, so time will tell, but the 2010 is smoother for me on full swings and chip shots from tight lies. I also prefer the 2010 from light rough, but I might lean towards the 2011 in heavy rough. I prefer the 2010 out of bunkers -- the 2011 doesn't cut through the sand the same way. Overall, I'm not sure if Cleveland's changes were for the better.

I tried out the 2011's at the store, but found that on full swings they didn't feel as nice to swing- especially the 42*. No way to compare on the course, but on feel alone I will stick with the 2010's.

Loving my 2011 49D Niblick, for all of the reasons that have been discussed. It's great to have a short-game club that takes the stress out of scoring well and focusing on other parts of my game.

I use it for almost everything 110 yards in. I personally prefer using a 56 degree sand wedge when in bunkers, and a 60 degree lob wedge for steep lies when I need to chip up. For me, my 49 Niblick is a bit weak in the sand and getting the ball up on a steep trajectory.

As for comparisons with the 2010, I only had a 42P Niblick. Also a great club, but I wanted less roll-out when doing bump and runs on the green.

Loving my 2011 49D Niblick, for all of the reasons that have been discussed. It's great to have a short-game club that takes the stress out of scoring well and focusing on other parts of my game.

I use it for almost everything 110 yards in. I personally prefer using a 56 degree sand wedge when in bunkers, and a 60 degree lob wedge for steep lies when I need to chip up. For me, my 49 Niblick is a bit weak in the sand and getting the ball up on a steep trajectory.

As for comparisons with the 2010, I only had a 42P Niblick. Also a great club, but I wanted less roll-out when doing bump and runs on the green.

Glad you are digging it Shindig. My 49 is solid in the bag as well. The spinners have actually been a nice addition to my 42/49 after acclimating to them, plus, the added inch I went with helped more than I thought it would for my game.

Glad you are digging it Shindig. My 49 is solid in the bag as well. The spinners have actually been a nice addition to my 42/49 after acclimating to them, plus, the added inch I went with helped more than I thought it would for my game.

do you think the spinners help more than the FST Hi-Rev that you had in the previous version? You know that one that now sits in my bag:act-up:

do you think the spinners help more than the FST Hi-Rev that you had in the previous version? You know that one that now sits in my bag:act-up:

Eh, it helps with the spin more, yes. But it also lowers the flight some too. I really think the FST in the 2010 is a perfect match and the Spinners in the 11 just fit it better. I do adore the feel of those Hi-Rev's though.

I too love the 49, a versitle club.

Need to practice with the 56 some more before I start gaming it to get distances down

Back