oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm getting a new car. Have a little Accent now, but it's struggling past it's 231st Km and I want something a touch bigger but with good gas mileage still. 0 interest rates right now so a good time to buy new. Deciding between the Elantra, Focus, Corolla, Civic, Dart, and Cruze. Leaning against the Corolla/Dart/Cruze for purely gas mileage reasons. Those 3 are over 7 litres per 100km, whereas the other three get nearer 6. Too bad because the Dart is a sharp looking car with some nice features.

So, anybody have the 2013 version of any of these cars with an auto tranny? Or know anybody with one? Any thoughts? ATM ranking them Elantra, Civic, Focus, Dart, Corolla, and Cruze based on preliminary online research. Saw the Dart yesterday, and likely going to see the others tomorrow. Anything to keep an eye on? Never bought new before (and won't be actually buying until do at least 2 test drives).

I drive a 2012 Civic SI and my wife has a 12 Camry. So far they both have been great cars.

I get all my car advice from Jrod. While we have different makes (Infiniti & Mercedes), he is the most knowledgeable on the topic I know.

Don't forget the new Kia Forte. Based on the same platform as the Elantra. Have a buddy with an Elantra. Great car. Little more road nose than the Civic, but still far from bad and comfier seats Imo in the Elantra.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got a sweet little deal for ya and it's outing approved :thumb:

Don't forget the new Kia Forte. Based on the same platform as the Elantra. Have a buddy with an Elantra. Great car. Little more road nose than the Civic, but still far from bad and comfier seats Imo in the Elantra.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I remember looking at the Forte and not liking it. Can't remember why, so I'll go look at it again, thanks.

You will like the Cruze! It's the nicest of all of them and they get great gas mileage.

I remember looking at the Forte and not liking it. Can't remember why, so I'll go look at it again, thanks.

Oiler -- I've been a Honda fan for quite some time now. They retain their resale value well and are good dependable transportation!

I got a sweet little deal for ya and it's outing approved :thumb:

Might not be quite as good on gas as I'm going for driving 2600km across country at 120 km/hr this summer :)

Might not be quite as good on gas as I'm going for driving 2600km across country at 120 km/hr this summer :)

But no hotel bills!

You will like the Cruze! It's the nicest of all of them and they get great gas mileage.

I've read good things, but if posted mileage is close, it'd cost at least an extra 5 bucks every fill up, and over the life of the car that would add up!

They actually get a little better than the sticker depending on how you drive. Those stickers are based on the average driver. Plus the ride and quietness difference while your driving all those miles will impress you.

Oiler -- I've been a Honda fan for quite some time now. They retain their resale value well and are good dependable transportation!

It and the Corolla both seem to have that going for it. I only have the Elantra ahead of it atm because it's cheaper and looks better (to me) on the exterior. Will all get serious consideration. Thanks for your thoughts.

They actually get a little better than the sticker depending on how you drive. Those stickers are based on the average driver. Plus the ride and quietness difference while your driving all those miles will impress you.
I'll keep that in mind :). And we probably drive 90% of our time on highways, so that helps.

My wife has a 2012 Civic and loves it.I just bought a 2013 Focus two weeks ago and so far it's very good.I went with the 5 speed manual (hard to find) over the auto due to a lot of negative reviews requarding shift issues.I personally test drove 2 auto Focus models and didn't find a problem myself ,but I still went with the manual.This wasn't a problem for me since I gave up a 2002 Mustang GT 5 sp with 214,000 miles.The 36 mpg I am getting on my 80 mile round trip daily commute is great compared to the GT's 22 mpg.The Focus rides good and handles good for an"economy "car.Plus I got a great deal on the Focus with the rebates here in the States.

Ditto this. Bought one for my daughter and it is a really nice package. She loves it.

Ford and Honda are killing it right now in small cars. Can never go wrong with a Focus or a Civic.

Save me a hunt for the calculator and tell me how 7L / 100km translates in MPG. Off top of my head I'm guessing 35-38 mpg.

If resale value matters at all, I'd suggest the Corolla or Civic. I'm an insurance adjuster and deal more with values than I do the mechanical side, but there's not much question as to the quality of the Corolla or Civic. Both are very proven platforms. Not 100% sure, but the Elantra probably has the best warranty and Hyundai is building some very solid cars these days. Although I like the new Focuses, based on their history, the value will drop like a rock. Same with the Cruze. If you're planning to drive it into the ground, though, go with the one you like best and a warranty you're comfortable with.

Cruze is a solid choice, have had them as rentals while traveling a few times and was impressed. A little larger, but have a 2013 Accord and have been impressed with it as well. Can't go wrong between the cruze or honda.

Save me a hunt for the calculator and tell me how 7L / 100km translates in MPG. Off top of my head I'm guessing 35-38 mpg.

6 is 39mpg, 7 is 33mpg, 8 is 29mpg

If resale value matters at all, I'd suggest the Corolla or Civic. I'm an insurance adjuster and deal more with values than I do the mechanical side, but there's not much question as to the quality of the Corolla or Civic. Both are very proven platforms. Not 100% sure, but the Elantra probably has the best warranty and Hyundai is building some very solid cars these days. Although I like the new Focuses, based on their history, the value will drop like a rock. Same with the Cruze. If you're planning to drive it into the ground, though, go with the one you like best and a warranty you're comfortable with.

I've read their warranty is the best of the bunch, thanks for the inside insurance info. Likely to drive it for at least 100,000 km, but probably longer.

I bought a 2013 focus in February to replace our 2000 focus (also bought new). I love this car. I have a hatchback with the manual tranny. Golf clubs fit nicely in the hatch, although you do have to take the driver out of the bag and put it it separately. Good MPGs, fun to drive, really solid. I highly recommend one.
I test drove the Dart as well, liked it but got a better deal on the focus.

I've read their warranty is the best of the bunch, thanks for the inside insurance info. Likely to drive it for at least 100,000 km, but probably longer.

No prob. Your actual rates shouldn't vary much between them. The value after 100,000 or whatever you end up putting on it will be the biggest difference, but again, that may or may not be a factor in your decision. Good luck whichever you decide on.

No prob. Your actual rates shouldn't vary much between them. The value after 100,000 or whatever you end up putting on it will be the biggest difference, but again, that may or may not be a factor in your decision. Good luck whichever you decide on.

I called today, and pretty much all of our options will add between 30 and 35 dollars a month over our high mileage Accent, so doesn't appear our choice will matter much for insurance. Interesting was our agent said for the first 3 years our car's value to them will not go down.

Back