New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

I noted in one of the Titleist threads that I had a fitting scheduled last week for irons. In short, it was really poor and provided no useful information. The Forged Tec had been a top contender going into that fitting so jumped when I saw a good deal on EBay with my exact specs. Today was the first range trip and round. My initial findings:

Sole gets through the turf really well for me
They look great at address and in the bag
Centered shots feel fantastic
Thin and toe shots get more help than you would expect given the iron head size
They are not long for me at all; in fact, they are 1/2 club shorter than I would expect given the lofts
Distances, although shorter than expected, are very consistent. I could predict the yardage almost exactly given the quality of contact

Hope to get out again later in the week.

Who was the fitting company that treated you so poorly? Glad to hear the clubs are good for you

Hey Morgan Cuppers!!!

Tell me your favorite thing about these irons, and why you think they were the best option for your game.

The performance of them is undeniable. I get really good distances even with poorly struck balls and I always feel in control like I will hit a great shot when I line up with them behind the ball. They sound and feel amazing. ;)

Who was the fitting company that treated you so poorly? Glad to hear the clubs are good for you
Our local shop - really my only choice for fitting within a 3 hour drive. They tried but hitting off of worn astroturf with shafts that were generally too short (they had almost no overlength shafts on their fitting carts) did not suggest much. The spin numbers could have been confused for a driver. Woe to those who made expensive decisions after one of those "fittings".

Had a second longer range session with the Forged Tecs today. Wow, they react so differently than my Pings. Really needed to refine several things in my swing to get the most out of them. It does appear that the forgiveness of the Pings allowed me to get a little sloppy - which I had read people here claim but never had the experience myself. The Forged Tecs pretty much give me back exactly what I put in - the misses are very predictable.

What has been uncanny is how straight I hit them, even on misses. Everything is dead straight or a slight draw. I do center them more than any other irons I have ever tried.

Had a second longer range session with the Forged Tecs today. Wow, they react so differently than my Pings. Really needed to refine several things in my swing to get the most out of them. It does appear that the forgiveness of the Pings allowed me to get a little sloppy - which I had read people here claim but never had the experience myself. The Forged Tecs pretty much give me back exactly what I put in - the misses are very predictable.

What has been uncanny is how straight I hit them, even on misses. Everything is dead straight or a slight draw. I do center them more than any other irons I have ever tried.
You will see how the perform under the bright lights this weekend for the THPers at the Morgan Cup!

Hey Morgan Cuppers!!!

Tell me your favorite thing about these irons, and why you think they were the best option for your game.

I had originally decided on these last year and just hoped that I could hit them, because they were stunning! During the fitting they just felt right to me, looked great, swung great and got the results that I wanted. This year I went for a much more lightweight shaft and they have come alive. Look great down at the ball, much more forgiving than they have any right to be and feel incredible when hit. Best irons I've ever hit by a country mile.

So interesting how we groove and promote expectations with a set of irons, only to chase something different.

I like your thoughts on the bullet-like straightness of these heads. They've always been pretty aggressively straight when I've hit them. Sometimes to a fault, but most of the time to a big benefit. Glad you're having fun with them.

The sticks were pretty much aggressively straight for me yesterday. At one point the comment was made about how much stopping power they have. The rest of the group just nodded in agreement as we are have experienced it. Its fun to stop a six iron within a foot or two of where you land it.

The sticks were pretty much aggressively straight for me yesterday. At one point the comment was made about how much stopping power they have. The rest of the group just nodded in agreement as we are have experienced it. Its fun to stop a six iron within a foot or two of where you land it.
MVP MVP MVP!

Because I am a ho, and because I am bored in lockdown, and because they were dead cheap, I recently bought a used set of PXG 0311T Gen4 from their eBay site. Same shafts (Modus 105S) as my FTs.

As a previous PXG owner, I was expecting them to feel better, be marginally shorter, but maybe a tad straighter.

So far they feel different (but not better), are much shorter, and less accurate.

And I don't like the way they look.

The FTs win again!

Have been working out my new set quite a bit. Played at lunch on a very fun executive course so I could use the Forged Tecs as much as possible. Still love the look and feel and the ballflight is still unusually straight (at least for me). The challenge will the spin and trajectory - both are at the bottom end of what I would consider acceptable.

Have been working out my new set quite a bit. Played at lunch on a very fun executive course so I could use the Forged Tecs as much as possible. Still love the look and feel and the ballflight is still unusually straight (at least for me). The challenge will the spin and trajectory - both are at the bottom end of what I would consider acceptable.
What ball Are you playing by chance?

Was able to play 9 on the par 3 course where I practice - hit 5 or 6 balls on a lot of the holes. It is a fun course and requires (depending on the wind and where the tees are) me to hit every iron in the bag and sometimes hybrids as well. Honestly I still do not know what to make of these irons. They look great to my eye and a centered hit gives a feeling I can only describe as intoxicating (and I hit one piece forged clubs for most of my golfing career). I also center them more than any iron set I have played in the past.

What continues to perplex me is the differences in spin between irons at time and the fact that the Forged Tec are really no longer than my Maltby TE Forged despite being almost a club stronger.

Interesting results today: hit a 6 iron on the screws and it carried 170 onto a pretty receptive green (which is my traditional 6 iron yardage) but the ball released about 60 feet (I paced it off). Two holes later I spun a well-struck 9 iron off the green that landed 15 feet deep into the green. On the next hole, I hit two gap wedges that landed within 4 feet of each other - same exact ballflight and the same exact reaction on the green.

Who knew trying to figure out irons could be such an adventure? Picking the right club has been quite challenging at times. That said, I center them way too much to give up on them.

Still waiting for the gen 2 to be released- hopefully in the spring.

Never solved the spin issue so they are out of the bag and will be sold soon - a very expensive mistake and I should have known better. Players distance irons just are not a good match for my spin profile.

My FT's are just great clubs. I'm in the 5 to GW and they play well. The gaps are very consistent. My miss hits have pretty good outcomes. These will be in my bag for a while. They are just beautiful clubs. So glad I got the copper. They even performed great out of the Vegas desert. Ha

I almost hit a hole in one with my OL Gap Wedge on Saturday. Hit past the pin and spun back with an e12 Contact ball. This is the same OL GW that I had given up on early on in the OL journey to play a 50 degree standard wedge. Loving it right now

When I saw this percolate up I got excited thinking discussion about whatever is coming next might have started. That said, I love these sticks, helped me play my best round ever this summer. Paired with the Recoils they have been effective and consistent for my swing, which I couldn’t say about my old gamers.

Never solved the spin issue so they are out of the bag and will be sold soon - a very expensive mistake and I should have known better. Players distance irons just are not a good match for my spin profile.
Sorry to hear they didn’t work for you. But given your feedback with the reactions you have been getting I would have likely ended up where you are.

When I saw this percolate up I got excited thinking discussion about whatever is coming next might have started. That said, I love these sticks, helped me play my best round ever this summer. Paired with the Recoils they have been effective and consistent for my swing, which I couldn’t say about my old gamers.
Most of us mortals don’t have any clue as to what might be coming. I am excited for the future, though.

Most of us mortals don’t have any clue as to what might be coming. I am excited for the future, though.
If I was a frequent iron switcher I’d be saving my pennies because whenever Cobra releases new irons again….

These are such good irons. Feel for a hollow body is very good, and the launch is nice and high with good stopping power and more spin than quite a few similar irons. If we see a new version next year (fingers crossed), I'd love to see just a slightly thinner top line and a touch less offset. I like the slightly longer blade length and sole width.

Back