New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Got an email from Cobra this afternoon, my Forged Tec irons will be at the house next Tuesday. :joy::clapp:

Last edited:
first round in with the Forged Tec and im gonna reserve judgment bc I didnt do my homework on these. Wedge play and putter saved my round yesterday, but it was the worst approach/iron play ive had in a long time. Every time I set up with an iron behind the ball I kept thinking "wow these look extremely upright". I consistently pulled the ball left and watched it draw farther left all day long yesterday. The 3 birdies I had yesterday were all when I had a 50* wedge or less into the green. #16 was the last par 3 and was the only one I landed the green. typically I aim straight at the flag or just slightly right of it. Yesterday I was stubborn and kept aiming like normal, but by the back nine I finally started aiming right of the entire green

Looking at the lie angles this morning, the FT are 2.5* upright compared to what has been my gamers to this point. Yes it could be a bad swing or face to path but overall I was striking the center pretty consistently yesterday. But time and time again the ball started left of my aiming point and would draw harder left

This is not a negative review due to my lack of homework. Unfortunately I dont think anwywhere is open for a while to get these adjusted. Distance and forgiveness were great overall with these clubs tho. I ordered these 1* weaker and played them to be about 8-10 yards farther than normal

Course is open but the range is closed so I won't be able to get too familiar with these over the next month. Im encouraged and believe these will be great irons, I just need the lie angle fixed first

Last edited:
first round in with the Forged Tec and im gonna reserve judgment bc I didnt do my homework on these. Wedge play and putter saved my round yesterday, but it was the worst approach/iron play ive had in a long time. Every time I set up with an iron behind the ball I kept thinking "wow these look extremely upright". I consistently pulled the ball left and watched it draw farther left all day long yesterday. The 3 birdies I had yesterday were all when I had a 50* wedge or less into the green. #16 was the last par 3 and was the only one I landed the green. typically I aim straight at the flag or just slightly right of it. Yesterday I was stubborn and kept aiming like normal, but by the back nine I finally started aiming right of the entire green

Looking at the lie angles this morning, the FT are between 2.5* upright compared to what has been my gamers to this point. Yes it could be a bad swing or face to path but overall I was striking the center pretty consistently yesterday. But time and time again the ball started left of my aiming point and would draw harder left

This is not a negative review due to my lack of homework. Unfortunately I dont think anwywhere is open for a while to get these adjusted. Distance and forgiveness were great overall with these clubs tho. I ordered these 1* weaker and played them to be about 8-10 yards farther than normal

Course is open but the range is closed so I won't be able to get too familiar with these over the next month. Im encouraged and believe these will be great irons, I just need the lie angle fixed first

What was the thought going weaker? Was it for spin?

Looking at the lie angles this morning, the FT are between 2.5* upright compared to what has been my gamers to this point. Yes it could be a bad swing or face to path but overall I was striking the center pretty consistently yesterday. But time and time again the ball started left of my aiming point and would draw harder left

I ordered mine two degrees flat. To me, it was a compromise, because they obviously have more offset, but I think it took far left out of play.

What was the thought going weaker? Was it for spin?
Gapping purposes. I knew I was going with the MIM wedges and the strongest MIM was 50*. I prefer the "specialty" wedges over a matching stock Gap wedge at 49*. Obviously the stock gap wedge would have gapped better with the technology in the FT's but I prefer thinner top line in irons and wedges.

Basically my own stubbornness of wanting the MIM led to weakening the FT's lol. Otherwise I could have gone FT 4 - G with MIM 54, 60

I ordered mine two degrees flat. To me, it was a compromise, because they obviously have more offset, but I think it took far left out of play.
My number 1 concern with the FT was the offset!! I thought long and hard about going with the CB/MB set but decided with the Cobra stuff I would experiment a different direction of what I typically play. I know the FT aren't game improvement irons like the SpeedZone so I figured the FT look great and will give me enough forgiveness vs what ive played the past 5+ years

The offset and now learning the more upright lie led to some huge left misses. 2* flat will definitely be the way to go for me. Also 1* weaker (mainly for gapping) I thought will help slightly with the offset

and again for review purposes, I am not complaining about these irons. My oversight is the tiny issue of not having these dialed in for me. They feel great, look great, and flat out perform. Once I have these set to how I want them, im highly confident they will be deadly!!

My number 1 concern with the FT was the offset!! I thought long and hard about going with the CB/MB set but decided with the Cobra stuff I would experiment a different direction of what I typically play. I know the FT aren't game improvement irons like the SpeedZone so I figured the FT look great and will give me enough forgiveness vs what ive played the past 5+ years

The offset and now learning the more upright lie led to some huge left misses. 2* flat will definitely be the way to go for me. Also 1* weaker (mainly for gapping) I thought will help slightly with the offset

and again for review purposes, I am not complaining about these irons. My oversight is the tiny issue of not having these dialed in for me. They feel great, look great, and flat out perform. Once I have these set to how I want them, im highly confident they will be deadly!!

I hope you can get them dialed in. Anyone who has read this thread knows how I feel about these irons.

Teaser pic from club builder. 61D4FF61-8868-4E57-9A1F-374A9ABE5A10.jpeg

Gapping purposes. I knew I was going with the MIM wedges and the strongest MIM was 50*. I prefer the "specialty" wedges over a matching stock Gap wedge at 49*. Obviously the stock gap wedge would have gapped better with the technology in the FT's but I prefer thinner top line in irons and wedges.

Basically my own stubbornness of wanting the MIM led to weakening the FT's lol. Otherwise I could have gone FT 4 - G with MIM 54, 60
Can’t remember but did you get fit into these or go off your Mizuno specs?

Can’t remember but did you get fit into these or go off your Mizuno specs?
Yeah, that would explain a lot. Everything I've experienced suggests that Mizuno is one of the flattest stock heads out there.

Quick check on the sites confirms it. 1.5 lie difference between MP20 and FT. Gotta get fit, spec'ed out.

Yeah, that would explain a lot. Everything I've experienced suggests that Mizuno is one of the flattest stock heads out there.

Quick check on the sites confirms it. 1.5 lie difference between MP20 and FT. Gotta get fit, spec'ed out.
Just checked that too. Thanks for the info. I was also coming from Mizuno irons and didn’t realize that. The fitter fit with forged Tecs tho so should be good.

Back