New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

Ordered new set today from golf shop in Alabama. Steel fiber i95 shafts. Like Christmas in the spring.

@jdtox nice, nice, nice! how is the catalyst compare to the recoil in terms of launch and feel? more kick? Been mulling a set of catalyst for my SZ irons but I know the recoils pretty well. Love to hear your thoughts.

@jdtox nice, nice, nice! how is the catalyst compare to the recoil in terms of launch and feel? more kick? Been mulling a set of catalyst for my SZ irons but I know the recoils pretty well. Love to hear your thoughts.
I wish I could tell you. Haven't been able to hit them and with lockdown in full effect it might be a while unfortunately.

Crap, not you too! You gotta busting dude!!!!

I have a round scheduled for tomorrow. I am thinking about taking my Forged Tecs out with the currently installed TGI 60s. Sure, they are very light for me. But also, let’s have fun?

You guys are making the wait for mine to get here pretty tuff.

Morgan Cup Review:

So I've held off on writing any reviews until I've had some time to hit them. This one is really a two-fer since I ordered the Forged Tec 4-Pw with the C-Taper lite in ONE LENGTH. In case your wondering here is some info about fitting into the OL from the Cobra guys themselves (Link), and here is the Link#2 to my thread when I did a fitting at club champion for these clubs!

OK on to the matter at hand, these sexy ass irons. For starters I really prefer the players distance category for the slimmer looks and the added forgiveness. I think the SZ irons are great but the sound and look just didn't compare to the FT for me. The FT checked all the boxes for me with a appealing topline, traditional sounds, acceptable forgiveness, and good feedback from the contact. These definitely aren't the most forgiving irons I've hit, but they are easy to strike and launch, and you can feel when you toe it or catch it a bit heavy. The club face is a bit hotter than my JXP-900 forged set, but not shockingly so. The mat or frosted portions of the club are really attractive, but not sure if they will get beat up throughout heavy use (i'll revert back).

As for the OL discussion. I don't want to pull the trigger too soon, but i'm pretty sure I LOVE IT. As an engineer and a mediocre golf who picked up golf only a few years ago I've been attracted to the idea of removing one of the variable and simplifying my iron swing. I've always struggled not fating an 4i and poor quality strikes. Upon first swings with the OL at the range the 4i felt short and I topped the first few, until i put the ball back in my stance (7i location) and made sure to hit down into it. From then on I've been stripping it and able to work the ball left and right (crazy for me)! I've also played around with working on my punch shots (spend a lot of time in trees). The shorter length is odd at first but again a few minor adjustments and you don't even notice it. As for shot height, I've always tended to have soaring iron shots, so this 4i is much lower, but still an acceptable iron height. If you're someone who struggles on launching long irons i'm not sure how this would affect you.

As for putting them in play. I only hit 20ish balls at the range before heading out to play 9 holes with them, and since I've completed a total of 45 holes. Maybe not advised to put something so new into play without working on it a bit more but I've got to say the transition from VL to OL was AMAZINGLY EASY. All of my rounds have been at or well bellow my handicap, including my round yesterday with my best score ever. The mid irons have played exactly as I've expected them from a Players Distance iron. The short irons are high flying (I may be working on a way to lower the trajectory a bit for windy days), but very easy to strike. And the Long irons are the easiest to hit I've ever experienced. The confidence I have standing over a 4i and not fating it is amazing now, I stripped one yesterday with a 185yd forced water carry and left it on the fringe of the green!

All in all, go try the FT, you'll probably love them! As for the OL if you are already a good golfer or have been playing forever maybe not worth the experiment. But if you struggle with long iron quality contact and/or your newish I would think you should give the OL a serious try. I don't think the argument of "if they work so well why don't more pros play them" holds much water as you are really talking about the 0.1% of talented ball strikers. And none of them grew up with these being an option, you may see a lot more on tour in the next 10 years as new players grow up with them. But so far I'm a believer!

Morgan Cup Review:

So I've held off on writing any reviews until I've had some time to hit them. This one is really a two-fer since I ordered the Forged Tec 4-Pw with the C-Taper lite in ONE LENGTH. In case your wondering here is some info about fitting into the OL from the Cobra guys themselves (Link), and here is the Link#2 to my thread when I did a fitting at club champion for these clubs!

OK on to the matter at hand, these sexy ass irons. For starters I really prefer the players distance category for the slimmer looks and the added forgiveness. I think the SZ irons are great but the sound and look just didn't compare to the FT for me. The FT checked all the boxes for me with a appealing topline, traditional sounds, acceptable forgiveness, and good feedback from the contact. These definitely aren't the most forgiving irons I've hit, but they are easy to strike and launch, and you can feel when you toe it or catch it a bit heavy. The club face is a bit hotter than my JXP-900 forged set, but not shockingly so. The mat or frosted portions of the club are really attractive, but not sure if they will get beat up throughout heavy use (i'll revert back).

As for the OL discussion. I don't want to pull the trigger too soon, but i'm pretty sure I LOVE IT. As an engineer and a mediocre golf who picked up golf only a few years ago I've been attracted to the idea of removing one of the variable and simplifying my iron swing. I've always struggled not fating an 4i and poor quality strikes. Upon first swings with the OL at the range the 4i felt short and I topped the first few, until i put the ball back in my stance (7i location) and made sure to hit down into it. From then on I've been stripping it and able to work the ball left and right (crazy for me)! I've also played around with working on my punch shots (spend a lot of time in trees). The shorter length is odd at first but again a few minor adjustments and you don't even notice it. As for shot height, I've always tended to have soaring iron shots, so this 4i is much lower, but still an acceptable iron height. If you're someone who struggles on launching long irons i'm not sure how this would affect you.

As for putting them in play. I only hit 20ish balls at the range before heading out to play 9 holes with them, and since I've completed a total of 45 holes. Maybe not advised to put something so new into play without working on it a bit more but I've got to say the transition from VL to OL was AMAZINGLY EASY. All of my rounds have been at or well bellow my handicap, including my round yesterday with my best score ever. The mid irons have played exactly as I've expected them from a Players Distance iron. The short irons are high flying (I may be working on a way to lower the trajectory a bit for windy days), but very easy to strike. And the Long irons are the easiest to hit I've ever experienced. The confidence I have standing over a 4i and not fating it is amazing now, I stripped one yesterday with a 185yd forced water carry and left it on the fringe of the green!

All in all, go try the FT, you'll probably love them! As for the OL if you are already a good golfer or have been playing forever maybe not worth the experiment. But if you struggle with long iron quality contact and/or your newish I would think you should give the OL a serious try. I don't think the argument of "if they work so well why don't more pros play them" holds much water as you are really talking about the 0.1% of talented ball strikers. And none of them grew up with these being an option, you may see a lot more on tour in the next 10 years as new players grow up with them. But so far I'm a believer!
So very glad you're having success with them AND that you pulled the trigger on trying them! I know you were on the fence for the longest time but I'm glad you fell off on the right side haha.

Morgan Cup Review:

Great review. So far, I haven’t been able to take mine from the house. That said, on of my biggest worries was chipping with a longer club. That hasn’t been an issue with them in the backyard. I have been chipping with the standard length MiM wedges and the OL FT set wedges and both feel great and no awkwardness for me with the OL Forged Tec wedges. I can’t wait to get them to the range and course. They feel great swinging them around in the yard.

I may missed this, What was your thought process behind choosing the Catalyst 80 for the SZ (4i?) as opposed to Recoil in everything? I know that there was supply issues, but I was wondering if there were other reasons why you chose that shaft for the task of, I'm assuming, a driving style iron.
I found last season that I used a 4i off the tee quite often actually. It became my go to on tighter holes and I can only remember once where I used it otherwise. I figured going a little lighter would provide more speed and distance potentially.

I found last season that I used a 4i off the tee quite often actually. It became my go to on tighter holes and I can only remember once where I used it otherwise. I figured going a little lighter would provide more speed and distance potentially.
That makes sense. thanks.

I am doing some research on the OL and this thread has been great. For those that have made the shift to OL how does going from your OL irons to the woods and driver go. That seems like the hard part to me. Swinging a 7 iron length for a 4I then going to a 3w/5w length and driver seems like it would be tough.

I am doing some research on the OL and this thread has been great. For those that have made the shift to OL how does going from your OL irons to the woods and driver go. That seems like the hard part to me. Swinging a 7 iron length for a 4I then going to a 3w/5w length and driver seems like it would be tough.

No different than looking at VL setup. With a "standard" set up you're going 4i at normal length to 3/5. With the OL concept everything 7I length to 5/3/D or you could go full on crazy and have 2 lengths in the whole bag ;);)

Morgan Cup Review:

Fantastic first review my man! Looking forward to your journey with these for an entire season!

Back