New Drivers are they really longer?

Slot Technology? Don't you mean: Active Recoil Channel

The wide sole channel delivers more distance by actively flexing at impact to launch the ball off the face with higher speed and lower spin. Goes the ad...Or is it a Speed Pocket? "its new and improved Speed Pocket increases the size of the sweet spot and reduces spin."
Channels and slots are the same in drivers. Some are internal, some are external, some are more visually defined than others. Either way, it was a smart acquirement by Titleist to acquire and apply.

And modern tech. That does work.

Time to drop that 915 for an old steel shafted Titleist driver then.

I hit the original Big Bertha with a steel shaft over 200 yards. I've gained 30 since then, but I'm also much older.

I have seen this posted a couple times and it simply isn't true. Not one company has ever made those claims. Ever.

The fine print is very interesting to read and I encourage most that have this mentality to read it. Yardage claims can only be made AFTER you have something to compare to. One can't simply just say, "I hit 20 yards further." Further than what? 20 yards past a competitor? 20 yards past average? What?

One can say, "I hit driver A 20 yards further than driver B." Now we have something to actually compare here. Again, the fine print is amazing to read at times. Some of the clubs they compare against can be laughable IMO. That is marketing though.

Sure they have. Every new driver is longer than the last. They've been saying that for a very long time. Remember, these are publicly traded companies now for the most part. It is not 1965 any longer. They HAVE to sell clubs. They sell clubs on distance which is for the most part BS.

I hit the original Big Bertha with a steel shaft over 200 yards. I've gained 30 since then, but I'm also much older.

Sure they have. Every new driver is longer than the last. They've been saying that for a very long time. Remember, these are publicly traded companies now for the most part. It is not 1965 any longer. They HAVE to sell clubs. They sell clubs on distance which is for the most part BS.
They actually haven't. Most claims I ever see compare to clubs 2-3 releases old. Again, that darn fine print

Comparing pro's to amateur golfers when it comes to distance/forgiveness is laughable IMO.

I know this is the internet and everyone hits it almost 3-bills, but the reality is the advances off center on drivers has come LIGHT YEARS and continues to improve. I see it every single review as I always track ball-speed retention data.
Just a point of order here> I hit it nowhere near 3 bills.

Just a point of order here> I hit it nowhere near 3 bills.

You need to step up your internet golf game! Its the interwebz where everyone could be on the long drive tour!

Also, I may or may not have read your post aloud as Sam the Eagle. AWESOME!

All their claims come with qualifications... So no, they aren't doing it without something to back it up. If you read the fine print you will see that many times the numbers aren't obtainable by the masses, but that doesn't change the fact that in certain instances they meet these claims. Without this, it would be illegal.

One Example from TM RBZ Fairway wood:

*better player claim against Burner 11 Fairway, robot testing at 150 mph ball speed, total distance.

Unless there is a major change in the technology, you're not going to see much of a change in your game. Perhaps every 4-5 years you might want to update your driver. Definitely not every 2.

You might want to consider buying a new 2-year old driver.

Some professionals are not using the brand new drivers, even those whom you think might benefit from the new tech. Lexi Thompson still games her 2013 Amp Cell Pro. And she still games her 2009 S2 Forged Irons. Cobra probably has given her new stuff, too.

Unless there is a major change in the technology, you're not going to see much of a change in your game. Perhaps every 4-5 years you might want to update your driver. Definitely not every 2.

Some professionals are not using the brand new drivers, even those whom you think might benefit from the new tech. Lexi Thompson still games her 2013 Amp Cell Pro. And she still games her 2009 S2 Forged Irons. Cobra probably has given her new stuff, too.
I disagree with this, I think it's truly dependent on models. The added CG control of the 816 DBD had added some yards to my game over the 815 DBD

IMO comparing what pros are doing and what us amateurs should be doing, are two very, very different things. Pros have MILLIONS of dollars on the line. They should play whatever THEIR game needs the most. If a pro is more comfortable and plays better with irons from 1980, then they should do that (an amateur can as well if that is what makes them happy and the game more fun.) However, for the pro it is a paycheck and food on the table when they decide what clubs to play.

I wonder how many THPers would want and only play the best equipment for their game if it meant a roof overhead and food for their family? I feel a few would change...

I buy at least one driver every year just because I like to. I go through the fitting process and always manage to gain some carry or some accuracy, or some ballspeed on misses.
I think the forgotten element here is our amateur swings. My swing is changing so much in a 12 month period that I need different specs to fit meet best, so when I get fitted I end up seeing gains from what I'm currently playing.

I haven't had a brand new driver in some years now but the new GBB is not only very forgiving on my misses it has me hitting a baby draw for the first time in my golf career. As so many before have said, the new equipment is better for us mear mortals.

I haven't had a brand new driver in some years now but the new GBB is not only very forgiving on my misses it has me hitting a baby draw for the first time in my golf career. As so many before have said, the new equipment is better for us mear mortals.

See, this is why I love the adjustable drivers. With the GBB, you have options. If your swing improves you can make adjustments without having to go out and buy a new driver. That driver should last you years. I know my 2014 BB will last me at least another two or three years. It'll last until my Razr Fit caves on the driving range. Then I'll need a newer driver. Probably a 2015 model of some sort.

See, this is why I love the adjustable drivers. With the GBB, you have options. If your swing improves you can make adjustments without having to go out and buy a new driver. That driver should last you years. I know my 2014 BB will last me at least another two or three years. It'll last until my Razr Fit caves on the driving range. Then I'll need a newer driver. Probably a 2015 model of some sort.
It's not an issue of "lasting" for some. For me, the performance improvements are real. I chose not to give that up.

I was recently in the market for a newer driver to replace my 1st gen Nike Vr-S. My line of thinking is that I have only a 94 mph driver swing speed and I hit the true sweet spot so rarely, it really doesn't matter if I buy a $400+ 2016 driver because I won't be able to take advantage of it. Of course, the modern drivers are marketed to be more forgiving ... but that's an afterthought ... the new technology is all about distance (which doesn't really affect me so much because of my slow swing speed). I went with the 2014 BB Alpha ... so far so good.

For the pros who hit the centre of the club pretty much every time, they won't necessarily see the large distance gains. I feel it is us amateurs who don't hit the centre of the club that are going to see the most benefit as the technology allows mis-hits to retain more ball speed and therefore distance compared to mis-hits with older clubs

New drivers may not be longer for everyone, but they are certainly more forgiving and a proper fitting should back this up

I agree with most people here that driver technology....distance/forgiveness has improved over the past 5 to 10 years. Sadly....most of the improvements are antidotial and has no data backing it up. I have not seen any data that shows new drivers are better for 10 or 20 handicaps.

Also, if people are getting more distance they should be using shorter irons into the green and better chances for par or birdie.

If the above is true...then why does the data show that handicaps haven't went down over the past 20 years : (

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with most people here that driver technology....distance/forgiveness has improved over the past 5 to 10 years. Sadly....most of the improvements are antidotial and has no data backing it up. I have not seen any data that shows new drivers are better for 10 or 20 handicaps.

Also, if people are getting more distance they should be using shorter irons into the green and better chances par or birdie.

If the above is true...then why does the data show that handicaps haven't went down over the past 20 years : (

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Because it still requires a good wedge game and great putting to lower scores. Short games definitely haven't gotten better IMO

Because it still requires a good wedge game and great putting to lower scores. Short games definitely haven't gotten better IMO

And playing he right tees, and actually keeping a handicap. People forget that part, that so many don't keep an official handicap.

What's wrong with anecdotal?

My Big Bertha is literally two inches longer than my last driver. :alien:

I finally realized recently that most of the tech is aimed at folks who miss the center regularly and not the guy that is pretty consistent.I have been doing some comparisons of my own and with the drivers over the past couple years the one that really has had an impact is the R-15, I hit the center more often than I miss and there is a bigger difference than I thought. So far some of the hype from that stick is true, but I emphasize on some of the hype lol.

Haven't wedges became more user friendly & don't putters have higher MOI?

What's wrong with anecdotal?

Anecdotal is people saying I got more distance or that driver is more forgiving on off hits. Do you think companies like Callaway, Taylormade, or Titleist make decisions based on anecdotal information? If not, then why should you?

To really test if drivers for 10/20 handicappers are longer you would have to take a random group then have them fit for say a G20, G25, G30 and G....take X amount of hits with each driver...then take that data to see if really any distance or forgiveness gains. I'm sure are some increases...but nothing like the marketing hype. Also, the testing would have to be done by a company that does't take marketing $$$ from the companies involved.

If the marketing hype were true a guy a person that 4 years ago was hitting it 220 yards carry with a G20 and hitting 6 of 14 fairways today would be hitting 240 yards carry with a G and hitting 9 of 14 fairways. & that is assuming they were fit for each driver.

Also, the testing would have to be done by a company that does't take marketing $$$ from the companies involved.

Whats the difference if a company takes money from no company or EVERY company.
Its the same thing, and frankly, if a company is having regular golfers test the gear, none of the "money changing hands" matters.

Sometimes I believe the conspiracy theory gets the most of people.

Its not hard to test. The stuff is out there for everybody to do themselves. Try something. if it works better, you can buy it. If it doesnt, nobody has to buy anything, enjoy what they are playing.

But to think this type of testing doesnt exist is just not accurate. It has happened at many of the grand THP Events done, and hell, there is one devoted for this exact thing in just two months from now.

#ClubClash

Back