New PXG 0211 Iron Set

There's a difference between 'have to' and 'choose to'. My wife never comments on what I spend or how I spend it, but I think discussing purchases is more common than not in most marriages. I don't think I'd appreciate the commentary if I'd made that post, but likely I'm not as nice as @dthrog00

How ironic is it that you chose to end your little missive about marriage with a gif in which a two year old girl is using a phrase she probably learned after hearing her parents argue in front of her? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
There's a difference between 'have to' and 'choose to'. My wife never comments on what I spend or how I spend it, but I think discussing purchases is more common than not in most marriages. I don't think I'd appreciate the commentary if I'd made that post, but likely I'm not as nice as @dthrog00

LOL LOL LOL Post on a public forum about getting permission from your wife and that's what you get. Maybe I should shut up though, he might have her come beat me up. 😂😂😂

Bought yesterday’s 5-pw + a hybrid all with Accra shafts and really liked after PXG fitting / seem to be a club longer than diabalo forged set with graphite was bagging.

Even though I am going in a different direction really just due to the shafts not the heads, I still maintain the 0211 are the best deal in golf right now. I should have know better than to stay with the same shaft into the shorter wedges, I have played the same shafts before into the wedges but it was always a heavier option and I have proved to myself I just like wedges shafts in the 120 gr. range.

Anyway playing yesterday most likely for the last time with the 0211 I saw the same type thing that was bothering me, I hit a couple of beautiful shots and then just tanked on the next couple so I am happy with my decision. But a smarter person than I would have just sent them back and had the Elevate 95 put into the 4-PW and Elevate tours in the GW-LW and saved a lot of money, but I have given up trying to trick myself into thinking I am smart.

The 0211s are at a really great price point for sure. Hard to argue with anyone trying these right now! Hope the 0311s work out for you

Let's try to keep this to the clubs and leave the personal attacks out of this.

Let's try to keep this to the clubs and leave the personal attacks out of this.
Just some banter between men. No need to cry.
ETA: Not that you're cryin JB, but evidently I've hurt some feelings with my comments.:rolleyes: Sorry I hurt anyones feelings.

Last edited:
Just some banter between men. No need to cry.

Seriously?
We asked to keep it on the topic of the thread. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask for. If it is too much, please let me know and we can fix that issue.

Seriously?
We asked to keep it on the topic of the thread. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask for. If it is too much, please let me know and we can fix that issue.
I guess I didn't edit quick enough JB, like I said, I wasn't referring to you. But I get the picture, no ribbing around here, sorry I hurt peoples feelings.

First 18 hole round in today for my son with his 0211’s and it was the worst he’s played in a long time. It had nothing to do with the irons though. He hit them well, but struggled off the tee and with short game.

He shot an even 100 with four 3 putts, one 4 putt, 5 penalties - 2 forced carries, 2 OB off the tee, and 1 long where he flew a par 3 green into the woods behind it. He only hit 3 GIR’s, but had 9 that were really close to the green (like a 1-3 yards off).

I’m wondering if he needs a different lob wedge bc of the shaft. I’m going to let him test mine tomorrow which has a shaft nearly the same weight as his iron shafts.

We also played back a set of tees from where he normally plays. While that made it a little more difficult with longer clubs into greens, it wasn’t the main culprit either with how many 3 putts he had. It’s really unlike him as his official tournament scores are always low 80’s.
For a decent player, the biggest effect of moving back tees can be psychological. That would explain struggling off the tee and on the greens. Golf is such a mental game, it's easy to let one or two bad shots influence the rest of your round.

RE: lob wedge. Is he taking full swings with it? If not, I doubt the shaft is a problem. In the last couple of weeks, has it rained much where you are? I ask because we've got a decent drought around here–even though we have cooler temps and a bunch of dew every morning. The ground is so hard that hitting a lob wedge on anything but a perfect lie is tough!

Last edited:
No man should have to ask permission to spend a little of HIS money.
Hey, @MetroCat, the 1950's texted. They said they want their views on the domestic household back.

ANYWAYS

The talks of this cast club feeling like a forged iron is true.
Very soft feeling when struck well but the speed is all there.

You can definitely tell the PXG designers spent some time at Ping.
If you just handed me the club at address I would have assumed it was a Ping iron. THAT'S A GOOD THING!

I'm glad I picked these up on PXG's special pricing.

ANYWAYS

The talks of this cast club feeling like a forged iron is true.
Very soft feeling when struck well but the speed is all there.

You can definitely tell the PXG designers spent some time at Ping.
If you just handed me the club at address I would have assumed it was a Ping iron. THAT'S A GOOD THING!

I'm glad I picked these up on PXG's special pricing.
I was playing Ping G700 irons before moving to the 0211's. One thing about the G700 irons I didn't like the "CRACK" impact sound. The 0211's have a great "Whack" impact sound that I much prefer and the impact feel of the 0211's is noticeably softer.

so how bout those 0211's.....

RE: lob wedge. Is he taking full swings with it? If not, I doubt the shaft is a problem. In the last couple of weeks, has it rained much where you are? I ask because we've got a decent drought around here–even though we have cooler temps and a bunch of dew every morning. The ground is so hard that hitting a lob wedge on anything but a perfect lie is tough!

Full swings aren’t the issue here. The wedges were made with 105 gram shafts and now he is in 120’s (117) with the Elevate Tours in his irons. He’s always played a lob wedge almost exclusively around the greens and it’s never been an issue. Our club has elevated green complexes and it’s almost impossible to play the old school idea of a low runner unless you miss the greens short and in front of them.

I think the issue is he’s 13 and growing like a weed. He’s now 5’10, 150 lbs, and swinging his irons 86 mph and driver 105 mph. A year ago he was smaller and swinging 10+ Mph slower. So he’s got a lot to adjust to. My thought with the lob wedge was to get the overall weight closer to what his new irons are just to take one more variable out of the equation.

The wedge isn’t an 0211, so I guess this conversation would be best served in another thread. My previous post was to say that despite playing poorly, he struck the irons well and they played no part in his troubles.

Last edited:
The wedge isn’t an 0211, so I guess this conversation would be best served in another thread. My precious post was to say that despite playing poorly, he struck the irons well and they played no part in his troubles.
Until my 0211's show up, anecdotes like yours are all I've got!

Full swings aren’t the issue here. The wedges were made with 105 gram shafts and now he is in 120’s (117) with the Elevate Tours in his irons. He’s always played a lob wedge almost exclusively around the greens and it’s never been an issue. Our club has elevated green complexes and it’s almost impossible to play the old school idea of a low runner unless you miss the greens short and in front of them.

I think the issue is he’s 13 and growing like a weed. He’s now 5’10, 150 lbs, and swinging his irons 86 mph and driver 105 mph. A year ago he was smaller and swinging 10+ Mph slower. So he’s got a lot to adjust to. My thought with the lob wedge was to get the overall weight closer to what his new irons are just to take one more variable out of the equation.

The wedge isn’t an 0211, so I guess this conversation would be best served in another thread. My previous post was to say that despite playing poorly, he struck the irons well and they played no part in his troubles.
I'm no short game wizard, but I know a lot of good players down here who play a LIGHTER shaft in their wedges than they do in their irons. Think DG S400 to S200. Flatter lie angles also. Until recently I never even knew this was a thing... just always assumed the wedge was the heaviest club in the bag, and you kept the lie the same.
Anyway, as far as your son, has this been an issue for a while, or just that last round?
I'd step back and let it breathe a bit if it was the latter. I coached a lot of boys his age playing baseball, and a bit of basketball (never golf, lol) but I'd caution against getting overly "techy" with equipment right now, especially at his age. Let him maybe play the game freely(?) without cluttering his head too much with equipment/shaft thoughts? Just a thought...

Last edited:
Much better round today for my son. 9 holes and from his typical tees (white). A heavier wedge would definitely help with his feel/touch. He used his with the ~105 gram shaft for the first 5 holes and mine for the last 4. It didn’t help him much out of the green side bunker on 6 but they were wet. He missed the last two greens but saved par by hitting to within inches using my wedge.

4 bogeys, 1 birdie to end up with a 3 over 39. 5/7 fairways (71%) and 4/9 greens (44%). A few of the greens weren’t missed by much. Putting was better than yesterday with only one 3 putt today. But my wedge saved him on the last two holes which knocked off at least 2 strokes from having tap ins for putts.

His distances are rough estimates but with 86 mph club head speed with a 7i he’s seeing the following average distances out of his 0211’s: GW - 110, PW - 120, 9i - 130, 8i - 140, 7i - 150, 6i - 160, 5i - 170, 4i - 180.

I didn’t play so well but was doing something weird with my grip while putting (not on purpose) that I think I’ve resolved after the round...also found 2 back to back hazards on 8 and 9. But I’m always content with 45 or better for 9 holes.

Attachments

• 8556F77B-B746-43BA-9F66-A2566EED2D84.jpeg
    8556F77B-B746-43BA-9F66-A2566EED2D84.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 7
I'm no short game wizard, but I know a lot of good players down here who play a LIGHTER shaft in their wedges than they do in their irons. Flatter lie angles also. Until recently I never even knew this was a thing... just always assumed the wedge was the heaviest club in the bag, and you kept the lie the same.
Anyway, as far as your son, has this been an issue for a while, or just that last round?
I'd step back and let it breathe a bit if it was the latter. I coached a lot of boys his age playing baseball, and a bit of basketball (never golf, lol) but I'd caution against getting overly "techy" with equipment right now, especially at his age. Let him maybe play the game freely(?) without cluttering his head too much with equipment/shaft thoughts? Just a thought...
I appreciate the thought, but most good players that play light shafts aren’t doing it for the weight. They are doing it for the softer flex and added spin. Most tour pros that play PX play either 7.0 irons and 6.5 wedges or 6.5 irons and 6.0 wedges. The overwhelming majority play either X100 shafts in their irons and S400 or X100 in their wedges. So either the same, or slightly heavier S400 that are much softer flex.

As for the coaching, I’ve coached him in golf for 7 years now. I don’t try to get technical with him and let him approach the game from an athletic feel/frame of mind (external/target focused, etc.). However, he’s trying to not think and just hit the wedge to his target and it wasn’t working. Switching to my wedge allowed him to be more free. He’s having a similar issue with his driver, but it’s cut to play shorter and he’s missing to the right the majority of the time. I think it’s just playing too flat for him. Even putting it in an upright setting is sending balls to the right. So a shaft extension or replacement is probably in order.

Much better round today for my son. 9 holes and from his typical tees (white). A heavier wedge would definitely help with his feel/touch. He used his with the ~105 gram shaft for the first 5 holes and mine for the last 4. It didn’t help him much out of the green side bunker on 6 but they were wet. He missed the last two greens but saved par by hitting to within inches using my wedge.

4 bogeys, 1 birdie to end up with a 3 over 39. 5/7 fairways (71%) and 4/9 greens (44%). A few of the greens weren’t missed by much. Putting was better than yesterday with only one 3 putt today. But my wedge saved him on the last two holes which knocked off at least 2 strokes from having tap ins for putts.

His distances are rough estimates but with 86 mph club head speed with a 7i he’s seeing the following average distances out of his 0211’s: GW - 110, PW - 120, 9i - 130, 8i - 140, 7i - 150, 6i - 160, 5i - 170, 4i - 180.

I didn’t play so well but was doing something weird with my grip while putting (not on purpose) that I think I’ve resolved after the round...also found 2 back to back hazards on 8 and 9. But I’m always content with 45 or better for 9 holes.
Good info with his distances, as I have just about the same SS and am getting almost the same yardages (a little less 1/2 a club maybe). Unfortunately for me, I'm going down on the curve, and your son is going up, LOL.

Last edited:
I appreciate the thought, but most good players that play light shafts aren’t doing it for the weight. They are doing it for the softer flex and added spin. Most tour pros that play PX play either 7.0 irons and 6.5 wedges or 6.5 irons and 6.0 wedges. The overwhelming majority play either X100 shafts in their irons and S400 or X100 in their wedges. So either the same, or slightly heavier S400 that are much softer flex.

As for the coaching, I’ve coached him in golf for 7 years now. I don’t try to get technical with him and let him approach the game from an athletic feel/frame of mind (external/target focused, etc.). However, he’s trying to not think and just hit the wedge to his target and it wasn’t working. Switching to my wedge allowed him to be more free. He’s having a similar issue with his driver, but it’s cut to play shorter and he’s missing to the right the majority of the time. I think it’s just playing too flat for him. Even putting it in an upright setting is sending balls to the right. So a shaft extension or replacement is probably in order.
Yes, I actually edited what I said about the wedges to clarify it just a minute or two before you posted this.
Good luck to him, and he's very lucky to have a dad who takes such an interest in both him and his game! It's nice to see...

I ordered 0211's on 9/30 and today it says they should arrive at my house on 10/11 (this Sunday). My wife just gave birth to our first child today. So I cried (happy tears) twice today!

I ordered 0211's on 9/30 and today it says they should arrive at my house on 10/11 (this Sunday). My wife just gave birth to our first child today. So I cried (happy tears) twice today!
Congrats on the new addition and the clubs !!

Congrats!

Back