NFL Lockout Thread

coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
With the NFL season having just ended and the 2011 season in doubt, I thought a thread discussing this upcoming off season was needed. No offseason moves can be made without a CBA, so other than the draft there will be no player movement at all, and possibly no football. Do you think a CBA will be reached before the draft, before the season starts, at all? Who's side are you on, the millionaires or the billionaires? Lets talk!

Lock out- I think there is over 80% chance of one.

I am with the players on this one. Average career is just over 3 years. Levels of health problems are through the roof. The average wages are about 300K. The owners will hold up Brady salary numbers as typical examples- but that is just not the case.

300K is great for three years- but you will need every penny for health insurance afterward. Extend the season and you shorten careers and increase health problems.

For what?

If the owners were loosing money it would be one thing, but the last few seasons have been the most profitable ever for the owners- even in the middle of this depression. Not only are they not hurting for cash, they are making money like never before, so why are they demanding more?

The real battle with this is between the have and have not owners.

The real battle with this is between the have and have not owners.

That is a good point, the owners need to get their house in order before they really start the CBA talks.

The average career is only 3 years?

I'm against both sides. Someone should be in these negotiations representing the fans. The cost to attend a game is too high for today's economic climate. I don't know how people go out to 8 games a season. The cost is insane.

The players can cry me a river about life after playing in the NFL. If you run out of money, get a job. Welcome to the real world that the rest of us live in. You got paid way too much money to play a game. Plan better or, when you're done, get a job. Plenty of former NFL players had to go into some form of business after their playing careers. Not everyone wins the lottery, get over it.

The owners can cry me a river about rising costs. Every single one of them were billionaires before they bought NFL teams and every single one of them has abused taxpayer money in one way or another to build new stadiums to make money off of naming rights or otherwise pad their wallets. If an NFL team is losing money and can't keep up, it goes away. It's what would (ok, should) happen to any normal business. The NFL wants to be exempt. They have a god complex and believe that the general public believes they can't live without the NFL. We don't owe the NFL or its owners anything.

I'm part owner of a team and I never see a dime in profit.

Kevin

I'm on neither side. Both the millinionaire and Billionaires are incredibly greedy and need a reality check. I just looked up and saw ben's post. I second everything he said. Football is America's sport and if the NFL want's to be a bunch of idiots than then all I can say is that the UFL has a team in Las Vegas and we're pretty good.

Last edited:
I'm part owner of a team and I never see a dime in profit.

Kevin

my previous boss was too, all he had was a plaque that stated he owned a small share. I think thats why the packers fans are so die hard though

I hope they can reach an agreement. Without it, the fans will suffer. Small business owners whose profit from the football season, keeps them afloat during the slow parts of the year will forced to close. (as much as I love golf, I've never seen the sports bar packed to watch golf, unless it's the 19th hole) Then we'll be forced to eat high end microwave meals from chain restaurants, because the mom & pop restaurants/bars will struggle to survive.

So for the fans, stadium employees, and small business owners, I hope they can come to an agreement. Go Bucs!

I predict Obama will step in and broker a deal as a lockout would leave Michael Vick idle. An idle Vick could find time to get into mischief. Being a Michael Vick supporter, Obama won't allow that to happen.

Kevin

A deal will get done before the season starts, that's my prediction. Everything you are hearing about is posturing and not getting a deal done would be a horrible business decision. Let's face it, owners are owners because they are successful business people so I see them getting this deal done in time to not hurt their massive investments/business. My thoughts and personal opinion anyway.

A deal will get done before the season starts, that's my prediction. Everything you are hearing about is posturing and not getting a deal done would be a horrible business decision. Let's face it, owners are owners because they are successful business people so I see them getting this deal done in time to not hurt their massive investments/business. My thoughts and personal opinion anyway.

+1 an empty stadium = an empty wallet for owners and we all know how much the owners want to protect their wallet.

The average career is only 3 years?

Yep. 3.2 years or something before injuries take you out, or the NFL cuts you. Less then 3 I think for RB's and DL/LBs, a bit more for WR and QB's, a lot more for kickers of course

Remember that most of the players are the ones you don't read about or even really notice. For every Ray Lewis there are 100 other guys who may never get off the practice squad, or who blow out thier knee in week 4 of the first season, or who only get a few plays a year and then get cut.

+1 an empty stadium = an empty wallet for owners and we all know how much the owners want to protect their wallet.

That is actually not true next year. Based on the wording in the TV contracts, the owners get TV revenue (the largest portion of their income) whether or not the NFL plays a single game next year. If you include all the teams and the NFL network the NFL is due to make 7 BILLION dollars next year that will come whether or not a team ever steps on the field

That is actually not true next year. Based on the wording in the TV contracts, the owners get TV revenue (the largest portion of their income) whether or not the NFL plays a single game next year. If you include all the teams and the NFL network the NFL is due to make 7 BILLION dollars next year that will come whether or not a team ever steps on the field

While that is true, keep in mind that that money does not just fall back in the owners pockets.

I still think they get this all worked out before the season starts. It won't be done before the draft though so this is going to be a very interesting offseason with no player movement. As JB said they do not get all the TV money and they would lose a ton of revenue if they didn't play any games, plus you don't want your fans to realize that they can live without football. The people I feel sorry for in all this are the people no one is thinking of and they are the stadium workers, the secretaries, the club house staff ect.. These people don't make the millions the players do and need their jobs.

While that is true, keep in mind that that money does not just fall back in the owners pockets.

All the teams get a cut of the national TV contracts and each team will still pull revenue from local affiliates that are included under national contacts. I was under the impression the each team was due to make in the neighborhood of 100 Million, and the NFL as an entity would take the 4 Billion for their coffers.

I have two friends who are head coaches in the NFL and for them, I would hate to see a lockout. However, players just like in all the other team sports make way too much money IMO. The NFL season needs to be shortened in the pre-season, and the regular season needs to be cut back to 14 games, then the playoffs and Super Bowl.

All the teams get a cut of the national TV contracts and each team will still pull revenue from local affiliates that are included under national contacts. I was under the impression the each team was due to make in the neighborhood of 100 Million, and the NFL as an entity would take the 4 Billion for their coffers.

That is close to it. I was just pointing out that while the NFL is set to make about 7 Bill, the owners do not receive all of that.

I still think they get this all worked out before the season starts. It won't be done before the draft though so this is going to be a very interesting offseason with no player movement. As JB said they do not get all the TV money and they would lose a ton of revenue if they didn't play any games, plus you don't want your fans to realize that they can live without football. The people I feel sorry for in all this are the people no one is thinking of and they are the stadium workers, the secretaries, the club house staff ect.. These people don't make the millions the players do and need their jobs.

This is a very true statement and one that I hadn't put much thought into until just now.

I personally think this will draw well past the draft an into "OTA"s. I don't know that the pressure to make a deal will really be felt by both parties until we are staring at the edge of the abyss. The NFL has always been known for its 11th hour negotiating and I don't see this being all that different. I think we miss OTAs and possibly a preseason game, but we play the full 16 (18? I hope not) game schedule.

I have two friends who are head coaches in the NFL and for them, I would hate to see a lockout. However, players just like in all the other team sports make way too much money IMO. The NFL season needs to be shortened in the pre-season, and the regular season needs to be cut back to 14 games, then the playoffs and Super Bowl.

This will NEVER happen. For many many reasons.

I bet I spent some time with your friends during my time there (not as a player obviously). I too feel for some of the coaches in this scenario.

That will never happen just due to money, but The Commish has said there will only be 2 preseason games no matter what.

That will never happen just due to money, but The Commish has said there will only be 2 preseason games no matter what.

Which is why there will be 18 regular season games. The owners aren't going to give up the extra home game that would be cut by trimming the preseason without adding to the regular season. I don't think fans want 18 games, they just don't want 4 preseason games. But the owners want the same number of gate receipts, so if 2 preseason games get cut then they will want to add 2 regular season games to keep their gates the same (or higher). I can't see a way you get a shorter preseason without a longer regular season, but in return you'll get a modified Injured Reserve more like baseball's and you'll get larger rosters and more lax practice squad rules so that teams have more options to bring players up and down and have temporary disabled lists so that players aren't out the whole season if they are going to miss 10 weeks after a week 2 injury but could come back in December for a playoff run, etc.

I think nothing final will happen until July. They'll talk, they'll both use the media to cry and whine, and just before the season actually should start they'll come to an agreement they could have made in March.

Players will have to give up some of what they got in the last CBA, which was a horrible deal for the owners, and owners will have to give up some things with roster size, injuries, and pensions/healthcare.

I also think you'll get a rookie wage scale/salary cap this time, which they've needed for a long time. I'm still surprised the NFLPA is so against one since all of the existing players seem in favor of it, knowing it just takes away money from veterans. Too many Jamarcus Russell's have come through to not make a rookie wage cap happen. Finally.

Back