NFL Lockout Thread

Probably feel better than building a huge new stadium, hosting the super bowl, starting the most overrated QB in the league, being the basement team in the NFC East, and picking only a couple of spots after the Panthers?

Triple whammie!

That was good, not going to lie.

Probably feel better than building a huge new stadium, hosting the super bowl, starting the most overrated QB in the league, being the basement team in the NFC East, and picking only a couple of spots after the Panthers?

Triple whammie!

No I think I feel better bro. Id rather have Mr. Overrated then Jmarcus 2.0

I still think this would be an OK alternative if they can't agree:

And if not, this is in the works:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/178177/3/Lingerie-Football-League-could-play-Sundays-instead-of-NFL

Lingerie Football League could play Sundays instead of NFL
Former Cleveland Brown Bob Golic has partnered with the Lingerie Football League's Cleveland Crush.

Lingerie Football League officials announced Wednesday that the third season of LFL Football starting this fall could see a move in games being played on Sunday afternoons vs. Friday nights, should the NFL suspend or delay the start of its season.

Cleveland was awarded an LFL team late last year, the Cleveland Crush.

Golic will be the Executive Vice President of Football Operations. The former 3-time Pro Bowler and former Cleveland Brown will oversee football operations in terms of coaching and personnel decisions.

Golic is currently broadcasting a sports show at WNIR 100.1FM in Akron.

"The LFL has truly gained a lot of credibility both on and off-the-field over the past couple of seasons. In Ohio and, specifically Cleveland, we are football. Something like the LFL will generate a lot of excitement and, hopefully, a winning tradition. Expect the Cleveland Crush to pack out The Q on opening night," Golic said.

Late Wednesday, National Football League owners and players were still negotiating a labor deal less than 36 hours before their collective bargaining agreement expires.

They are working to avert a shutdown of the U.S.'s most-watched television sport a month after its Super Bowl drew the biggest audience in American TV history.

Team owners are scheduled to arrive in Chantilly, Virginia, late Wednesday for two days of meetings to decide what to do when the agreement ends at midnight Thursday (March 3).

In 2010, the LFL was shown through a deal with MTV Networks and added 2011 expansion markets with teams like the Las Vegas Sin, Cleveland Crush and Green Bay Chill.

WKYC-TV

this may or may not make you side with the players.......Rick Reilly has a good piece on NFL owner's greed

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6177574

That's all well and good, but not all of the owners are rolling in cash. A lot of them might have a lot of paper assets, but not much hard cash. Smaller markets especially.

And currently the owners have to pay 100% of their bills with 40% of the cash. How would you like 60% of your salary taken away and then have to pay 100% of your living expenses with the 40% left over? Might be hard, right? Players get 60% of everything. The former editor of the Jaguars website would hold an annual golf tournament for fans. When it first started we paid the Jaguars directly and they set everything up. With the new CBA deal, however, that stopped. If the Jaguars set it up they would have to give 60% of the cost to the players and pay for the rest of the tournament with the remaining 40%, so of course the price would have skyrocketed. Instead it was switched to be setup through the course we played, we paid the course directly, and everyone showed up in Jags gear in order to keep the price reasonable. But that scenario applies to any situation in which a team makes money - they lose 60% off the top.

I think the owners SHOULD make the most money. They are the OWNERS. Who makes the most money in the companies people work for? The owners. If not for the owners, then no one would have a job. And these footballers make a damn good living playing a freaking sport. If you think the players need more money, you are likely in favor of taxing the owners (rich people) more. Spreading the wealth. Guess what? When the owners make less money, they find cheaper help or close up shop. Lock out the players or let them go on strike, whatever. Fine by me. I'll miss football, but oh well. Maybe we'll spend more time with our families on Sunday if there's no football on TV.

Oh wait, the LFL said they would play on Sunday, hehehe.

I don't care who makes the money. I just think that a rookie should have to prove himself before a big payday. I just want an agreement. It will be hard to go thru fall and winter in NW OHIO with no GOLF or FOOTBALL. Do they want us to go insane???

I think the owners SHOULD make the most money. They are the OWNERS. Who makes the most money in the companies people work for? The owners. If not for the owners, then no one would have a job. And these footballers make a damn good living playing a freaking sport. If you think the players need more money, you are likely in favor of taxing the owners (rich people) more. Spreading the wealth. Guess what? When the owners make less money, they find cheaper help or close up shop. Lock out the players or let them go on strike, whatever. Fine by me. I'll miss football, but oh well. Maybe we'll spend more time with our families on Sunday if there's no football on TV.

I tend to agree with the comments about the owners making the most money in any business and rightfully so. On the other hand I do not agree with the longer season of 18 games and I do feel they could do something for the benefits to help players out as the long term affects of football can be brutal. However, I think players need to take responsibility and be financially responsible. The reason they want more money is that too many of them come into the league and get grossly overpaid starting out and think that money will continue for 10-12 years. Problem is that the average career is something like 3 years. I just dont understand how those guys can be flat broke after making money like that but they find a way to do it. I also think they need to something to have a rookie salary cap (similar to the NBA) as mentioned in this thread. You cannot make me believe that a college athlete who has not proven himself is entitled to $30M guaranteed and contracts in the neighborhood of $65M. Thats insanity and then teams are on the hook for portions of that after the guy is a bust i.e. Jamarcus Russell.

I agree with you for the most part here smalls and something thats been making me think lately is the players talking about being "partners" with the owners, not employees. Well if your partners then you have to take some of the risk of losses, costs of new stadiums, ect.. They are not partners, they are employees, and they need to stop telling the owners to open their books, its none of their business. Just get back to playing football cause I'm sick of watching millionaires fighting with billionaires about money.

I agree with you for the most part here smalls and something thats been making me think lately is the players talking about being "partners" with the owners, not employees. Well if your partners then you have to take some of the risk of losses, costs of new stadiums, ect.. They are not partners, they are employees, and they need to stop telling the owners to open their books, its none of their business. Just get back to playing football cause I'm sick of watching millionaires fighting with billionaires about money.

Got to agree with the im sick of hearing millionaires fight with billionaires about money and yes they are not partners bc they do not absorb the losses and operating costs etc. They provide a service or product and are compensated (very well I might add) for what they bring to the table. But I agree with u Coolbreeze. Good post.

And as for the players complaining about retirement benefits, etc... the worst of you make at least $300,000 per year. Practice squad guys make over $80,000 per year. If you are so stupid that you can save a good chunk of that to cover your future then you deserve to be broke when you quit playing. Most families don't make $80,000 per year combined in the US, much less individual persons. Very few make over $300,000. You get no sympathy on retirement benefits from the league from those of us who make far less and have to pay nearly our entire retirement and medical out of those smaller salaries...

And as for the players complaining about retirement benefits, etc... the worst of you make at least $300,000 per year. Practice squad guys make over $80,000 per year. If you are so stupid that you can save a good chunk of that to cover your future then you deserve to be broke when you quit playing. Most families don't make $80,000 per year combined in the US, much less individual persons. Very few make over $300,000. You get no sympathy on retirement benefits from the league from those of us who make far less and have to pay nearly our entire retirement and medical out of those smaller salaries...

Fair point. Maybe out of all their complaints that is one that might hold a little water but really they should be able to make things work as there are others that make things work are substantially less.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It honestly made my blood boil. I mean how can you even compare? Talk about a clueless moron

Sounds like they got some good news out of their covert meetings today. There's some buzz out there about a labor deal being settled in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I'd guess something gets done late July or early August.

Sounds like they got some good news out of their covert meetings today. There's some buzz out there about a labor deal being settled in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

From the sounds of it no deals were proposed, but at least they were meeting with no lawyers present.

From the sounds of it no deals were proposed, but at least they were meeting with no lawyers present.

That kind of meeting should be the subject of a new bud light commercial... Here we go!

Yeah that's a big step forward. Hopefully they can get this done. I can't imagine fall without the league. College is just too hypocritical for me. At least the league tells you up front that it's all about the Benjamins.

I have spoken to quite a few old colleagues today and they say that this could be done as of today or very close. Not a whole lot separating owners and players right now.

When it gets announced, expect some HUGE moves. 5-7 teams are going to really struggle to get to that 120 cap number.
Rookie wage is done. That will be in the new deal.

I have spoken to quite a few old colleagues today and they say that this could be done as of today or very close. Not a whole lot separating owners and players right now.

When it gets announced, expect some HUGE moves. 5-7 teams are going to really struggle to get to that 120 cap number.

this is awesome!! I hope its true!! I am ready for the NFL!

The flurry of FA and rookie signing information is going to be crazy. Glad everyone finally came to their senses and got a deal done.

Wife just switched us to DirecTV yesterday since they are running a promo that you get Sunday Ticket for free in 2011. I am ready for some football.

this is awesome!! I hope its true!! I am ready for the NFL!

Cue the Bridges check in desk thread.

Activate Bridges Voice

I have been crazy busy. Working like crazy and working on my golf game. Awesome to see the NFL back and hopefully THP will be have fantasy football again. Im back now and hopefully will get to meet some people from around here soon. I love some NFL and love some THP. Glad to be back.

Deactivate Bridges Voice

The flurry of FA and rookie signing information is going to be crazy. Glad everyone finally came to their senses and got a deal done.

Wife just switched us to DirecTV yesterday since they are running a promo that you get Sunday Ticket for free in 2011. I am ready for some football.

The rookie signings for draft picks is going to be pretty easy if this deal goes down because it will be slotted. 1-10 picks get average salary at their position for 5 years. 11-30 picks get 3 year deal. That is what I am hearing anyway.

Back