NFL Lockout Thread

I'm against both sides. Someone should be in these negotiations representing the fans. The cost to attend a game is too high for today's economic climate. I don't know how people go out to 8 games a season. The cost is insane.

The players can cry me a river about life after playing in the NFL. If you run out of money, get a job. Welcome to the real world that the rest of us live in. You got paid way too much money to play a game. Plan better or, when you're done, get a job. Plenty of former NFL players had to go into some form of business after their playing careers. Not everyone wins the lottery, get over it.

The owners can cry me a river about rising costs. Every single one of them were billionaires before they bought NFL teams and every single one of them has abused taxpayer money in one way or another to build new stadiums to make money off of naming rights or otherwise pad their wallets. If an NFL team is losing money and can't keep up, it goes away. It's what would (ok, should) happen to any normal business. The NFL wants to be exempt. They have a god complex and believe that the general public believes they can't live without the NFL. We don't owe the NFL or its owners anything.

Very well said!!! The last strike almost cost them a fan in me and if they have this lockout, I'm done with the NFL. Both sides need a swift kick in the nu&$

I really wish both sides would have a "real" conversation and be willing to listen to each side. Sadly this negotiation is starting to turn out like negotiations in all proffesionall sports. I doubt any real talks will begin until 1 hour to go until the deadline. All we're going to see for the next few weeks is constant mudslinging from each side in an attempt to sway the public in their favor.
http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2011/2/14/1993922/nfl-lockout-owners-labor-practice-nflpa-cba-antitrust-lawsuit

Very well said!!! The last strike almost cost them a fan in me and if they have this lockout, I'm done with the NFL. Both sides need a swift kick in the nu&$

The NFL is a Golden Goose right now. Baseball was king in the 90s until their strike and they lost a lot of fans. I was one of them. I grew up watching almost every single Braves game on TBS with my Grandpa (and most of the family) and we drove up to Atlanta for one of my birthdays when I was around 8 or 9 to go to a game. Dale Murphy was my childhood hero. We saw them suck, we saw them be great and win championships. But then the strike came and I haven't watched more than a few minutes of baseball since and have spent zero dollars on anything baseball related, either.

The NFL needs to wise up and realize that they are not untouchable. Ask baseball. Ask hockey. Ask the NBA. The bigger you are the harder you can fall.

The NFL is a Golden Goose right now. Baseball was king in the 90s until their strike and they lost a lot of fans. I was one of them. I grew up watching almost every single Braves game on TBS with my Grandpa (and most of the family) and we drove up to Atlanta for one of my birthdays when I was around 8 or 9 to go to a game. Dale Murphy was my childhood hero. We saw them suck, we saw them be great and win championships. But then the strike came and I haven't watched more than a few minutes of baseball since and have spent zero dollars on anything baseball related, either.

The NFL needs to wise up and realize that they are not untouchable. Ask baseball. Ask hockey. Ask the NBA. The bigger you are the harder you can fall.

I too grew up watching Braves games on TBS but tuned out almost completely after the strike. I became a Braves fan watching the ends of games on the weekends waiting for wrestling to come on at 6:05 Saturdays and Sundays.

I'll still watch pro sports on TV but can care less about going to a game live. We have a local minor league baseball team (Mahoning Valey Scrappers) and hockey team (Youngstown Phantoms). Without fighting heavy traffic I can park my car, buy a ticket, buy a soda and popcorn, enjoy the game, and be home within 30 mins of the time the game ends. And the best part- all for less then the price of one MLB or NHL ticket.

Soooo True!

We are in day 5 of the negotiations. Which way do y'all think this will go? What do you think the end deal will be?

Well I just renewed my Dolphins season tickets. I hope they don't schedule any prime time games early in the season like last year because I will be mad if they get cancelled! Good chance there will be no games opening weekend.

I agree 100% with that. I was a huge braves fan, still am but it's not like it was before the strike. The only time I watch now is if someone I like makes it to the series. I love football and hope that they can figure it out. It's really hard to feel sympathy for millionaires squabbling over losing money. On the other hand I know I would be right there with them if I were in their shoes. I just hope they get it figured out soon, for their sake and ours....

Lock out- I think there is over 80% chance of one.

I am with the players on this one. Average career is just over 3 years. Levels of health problems are through the roof. The average wages are about 300K. The owners will hold up Brady salary numbers as typical examples- but that is just not the case.

300K is great for three years- but you will need every penny for health insurance afterward. Extend the season and you shorten careers and increase health problems.

For what?

If the owners were loosing money it would be one thing, but the last few seasons have been the most profitable ever for the owners- even in the middle of this depression. Not only are they not hurting for cash, they are making money like never before, so why are they demanding more?

+1, I'm with you for the players. AVG. life expectancy for an NFL player is 53 yrs. old. 18 games is a joke.

Does anyone understand why the players union would de-regulate themselves? And what advantage does this give them?

Does anyone understand why the players union would de-regulate themselves? And what advantage does this give them?

If they de-regulate then they are no longer a union and you can't then lock them out because there is no union to lock out. They are not doing this so they can play, it is just a negotiating tool. The lawyers for the NFLPA would then not represent to union but all of the individual players.

a deal is going to get done. Everybody wants to get paid

a deal is going to get done. Everybody wants to get paid

And if not, this is in the works:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/178177/3/Lingerie-Football-League-could-play-Sundays-instead-of-NFL

Lingerie Football League could play Sundays instead of NFL
Former Cleveland Brown Bob Golic has partnered with the Lingerie Football League's Cleveland Crush.

Lingerie Football League officials announced Wednesday that the third season of LFL Football starting this fall could see a move in games being played on Sunday afternoons vs. Friday nights, should the NFL suspend or delay the start of its season.

Cleveland was awarded an LFL team late last year, the Cleveland Crush.

Golic will be the Executive Vice President of Football Operations. The former 3-time Pro Bowler and former Cleveland Brown will oversee football operations in terms of coaching and personnel decisions.

Golic is currently broadcasting a sports show at WNIR 100.1FM in Akron.

"The LFL has truly gained a lot of credibility both on and off-the-field over the past couple of seasons. In Ohio and, specifically Cleveland, we are football. Something like the LFL will generate a lot of excitement and, hopefully, a winning tradition. Expect the Cleveland Crush to pack out The Q on opening night," Golic said.

Late Wednesday, National Football League owners and players were still negotiating a labor deal less than 36 hours before their collective bargaining agreement expires.

They are working to avert a shutdown of the U.S.'s most-watched television sport a month after its Super Bowl drew the biggest audience in American TV history.

Team owners are scheduled to arrive in Chantilly, Virginia, late Wednesday for two days of meetings to decide what to do when the agreement ends at midnight Thursday (March 3).

In 2010, the LFL was shown through a deal with MTV Networks and added 2011 expansion markets with teams like the Las Vegas Sin, Cleveland Crush and Green Bay Chill.

WKYC-TV

In my opinion there is just way too much money on both sides here to be lost for this thing to actually happen. Basketball in my opinion has a much better chance of experiencing a lockout next season. That being said both sides know the history of professional sports leagues that actually do have lockouts. Baseball is still recovering from 1994 all these years later. The deal will get done most likely by summer time.

I will not side with anyone! I want to see football!

Must suck to make a shat ton of money for 3 years to never have to work again....oh wait, you would have to be smart with your money...thats tough! I feel for no one in this, players or owners. If there is a lockout I am trying out for the Carolina Couger Hunters, my field name with be Jeff Overton, and I will be the best damn quarterback that this temp league will ever see. Well, minus Jamarcus Russel, he needs a job too

So how do you Carolina guys feel about drafting Cam Newton #1 over all and then getting locked out? Double whammie!

So how do you Carolina guys feel about drafting Cam Newton #1 over all and then getting locked out? Double whammie!

I dont know how to feel about the first pick

Probably feel better than building a huge new stadium, hosting the super bowl, starting the most overrated QB in the league, being the basement team in the NFC East, and picking only a couple of spots after the Panthers?

Triple whammie!

Oh SNAP!!!

Back