Nike Vapor Flex/Speed Fairways and Hybrids - Preview Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
THP was fortunate enough to be able to attend Nike's official unveiling of their Vapor metal-woods lineup at The Oven in Dallas and get some hands on time with the lines as well as a deep dive into the technology and specifications of the different clubs.

The current release date for drivers, fairways, and hybrids is 1/30/15.

Information on the trip to The Oven can be found here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...0-Live-Update-Thread-THP-Visits-The-Nike-Oven

Vapor Flex/Speed Fairway and Hybrid Lineup Info:

With the hybrids and fairways in the Vapor line Nike is offering two options in each, the Flex (FlexLoft) and the Speed (bonded/glued). For them the Flex is the tried and true shape/profile but with a shorter hosel thanks to the new adapter (also, .335 in the hybrid too, which was for continuity through the line AND a size issue at address). The Speeds on the other hand are bit larger footprint overall as well as being deeper.

Because these clubs aren't under the same constraints as the fairways, the Speed Channels they feature are different than those in the drivers. It is deeper near the center of the face as well as the heel and toe in order to, as Nike put it, "heat" the center of the club more as well as the heel/toe.

One of the biggest changes from the 2.0's is in the leading edge, its much straighter/fltter, this is in order to aid a few things such as off the deck and the general launch/etc goals that they wanted to accomplish, more than anything though, its just a better look.

As with the drivers, the Cavity Back technology is alive and well here. Nike are firm believers in what it does and what they have learned it can be evolved to do with specific structural and design adaptations. The Cavity Back tech allows for a forward weight/CG that can keep the MOI constant across the club and also reduces the size of the gear effect while increase overall stability (resistance to twisting). Overall you get less changes to the overall launch conditions across the face of the drivers which in turn helps reduce the hook/cut flights. Basically, lower spin without sacrificing stability means more length and straighter flight.

Also as with the drivers (and in the Flex models only here), the Flex Loft adapter has changed, but just in weight. Nike managed to save 5g in overall weight with the adapters while keeping the 15 in 1 setting ratio (in what many feel is the best adapter out there, I'm one of those). The 5g represents 30% savings and with that means a lighter headweight than we have seen from Nike . Also, they are backwards compatible and old adapters will work in these heads too. But with that will come about a 1.5 swing weight change because of the 5g. As mentioned above, in the hybrids the adapter is also .335, NOT .370 and there WILL NOT be .370 adapters available, it is a size issue as the hosel looked too large on the hybrids at that size. So, they have gotten some of the companies to make them .335 hybrid shafts (Mitsubishi is what we saw at the event).

Nike Vapor Flex and Speed Fairway Info:

The Vapor Flex Fairway:
  • Straighter leading edge
  • Lower CG vs 2.0 Tour
    • 7.8% in 3w - 6.8% in 5w
  • Closer to the face vs 2.0 Tour
    • 3.0% in 3w - 4.5% in 5w
  • Measurables vs 2.0 Tour
    • 1.5 MPH Ball Speed increase
    • 0.3 Launch Angle increase
    • 120 RPM Spin decrease
    • 5 yard increase
The Vapor Speed Fairway:
  • 1/2" Longer playing length than Flex
  • Lower CG vs 2.0
    • 3.0% in 3w
  • Closer to the center vs 2.0
    • 8.5% in 3w
  • CG Depth vs 2.0
    • 28% deeper
  • MOI vs 2.0
    • 15.7% increase
  • Measurables vs 2.0
    • 0.8 MPH Ball Speed increase
    • 0.5 Launch Angle decrease
    • 626 RPM Spin decrease
    • 6 yards longer

• ADDITIONALLY! The Speed fairway is 25% LARGER than the 2.0 was (7.8m longer face to back) and is also a more sloped crown which helps with the CG height movement inside the head.

These are both offered in 3w and 5w paired with the Diamana S+ (authentic) in RH/LH. The Flex is priced at $249 and the Speed is priced at $199

Release date is 1/30/15

We didn't get a ton of images, can't find any of the Flex, but here is what we have:

DSC_0034-L.jpg

DSC_0035-L.jpg

DSC_0037-L.jpg

DSC_0038-L.jpg

Nike Vapor Flex and Speed Hybrid Info:

The Vapor Flex and Speed Hybrids:
  • Lower CG
    • 2mm CG drop
    • 2* launch increase at SAME lofts
  • Speed is 1/2" longer than Flex
  • "Linear Progression"
    • Larger body and more shallow face on the long hybrids progresses to a sleeker build and deeper face on the short hybrids
    • Means more forgiveness and speed on the long hybrids and more shot making accuracy on the shorter hybrids
    • 2h/3h are considered the "Advance" hybrids
    • 4h/5h are considered the "Approach" hybrids

The FLEX hybrids are offered in 3 and 4 only, paired with the Diamana S+, RH/LH, and have a price of $229.
The SPEED hybrids are offered in 2, 3, 4, 5 in RH and 3, 4 in LH. Paired with the Diamana S+ and have a price of $179.

Release date is 1/30/15.

As with the fairways, we have a couple images, but didn't get a ton, my apologies:

DSC_0008-L.jpg

DSC_0009-L.jpg

photo%203%20%283%29-L.jpg

• Staff
I apologize about the lack of images, focus was firmly on the drivers and that is my fault. I am working on getting us some more pics now, hopefully soon.

I do have a LOT of thoughts about these though that I'll be putting up later, and I know Cookie does too.

Do the flex fws and hybos have the moveable weight?

That crown is SICK!
A ton of tech went into these,and I am exited to learn more!

• Staff
Do the flex fws and hybos have the moveable weight?

Nope, the weight is longer than the heads and looked awkward, beyond that, they felt it didn't aid performance in these clubs and if it doesn't add performance they don't see sense in putting it into them at this time.

• Staff
These hybrids. I got to play a round with a flex hybrid in the bag and it was something else for me, I hit it extremely well during the day and I will say its one of the best sounding hybrids, for me, that I've hit. The .335 thing will turn some off I fear as it limits shafts, at dinner a couple of the R&D guys said that taking a fwy shaft and tipping it a certain amount will play fine in them, but still, i know how some are about their hybrid shafts, particularly those that want steel in them.

For me, I can honestly say I want one in the bag. The 21* that the flex was set at for me was a lot of fun.

Lots can change between now and 1/30, but, man I enjoyed the Flex hybo.

I just cannot figure out for the life of me why they went that route with the shaft.

• Staff
I just cannot figure out for the life of me why they went that route with the shaft.

Yeah, it pigeon holes the hell out of someone on the Flex shafts for sure. As someone who has been critical of some of the .370 adapters on hybrids (W/S M3 for example) because they just look MASSIVE and awkward, I respect the aesthetic change, but man it just limits so many things as it pertains to fitting IMO.

Yeah, it pigeon holes the hell out of someone on the Flex shafts for sure. As someone who has been critical of some of the .370 adapters on hybrids (W/S M3 for example) because they just look MASSIVE and awkward, I respect the aesthetic change, but man it just limits so many things as it pertains to fitting IMO.

Exactly, and considering the message they were trying to send is all about fitting, I find this move incredibly odd.

Exactly, and considering the message they were trying to send is all about fitting, I find this move incredibly odd.

Even more than that, they might be the best sounding/feeling/performing clubs in the line. I'm with you, its baffling, and when they said it Cookie and I just looked at eachother.

The whole new vapor line from drivers to irons is just damn sexy! Packed with technology. Nike came to play in 2015!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looking at them they seem quite tech packed. Can't wait to see the performance numbers as they are put through their paces.

I wanna hit the 3w in a bad way!

Nothing on head volume in cc's? Did they talk about that at all? Nothing in the printed catalog either.

Nothing on head volume in cc's? Did they talk about that at all? Nothing in the printed catalog either.

We did not discuss that, no. I can shoot out a message and see what I can find out tomorrow.

We did not discuss that, no. I can shoot out a message and see what I can find out tomorrow.

Sounds good. Sounds like no one knows! If you don't hear I may just give Nike a jingle when the pre order date approaches. Thanks for the reply. And nice job with all the reviews. It has been a fun couple of days following you guys.

In the mean time how does the speed head look in terms of size vs the 2.0 and 1.0 performance models? The 2.0 is very small and compact compared to the 1.0. I wonder if those heads are pretty comparable? Or is the speed head even larger?

Again, appreciate the help.

I will be looking for a fairway this season might have to give these a go

I spent a good bit of time with the Flex 3W on the range when I saw it was in my bag prior to my driver fitting. I pulled out out of the bag just thinking this will be pretty funny to see because those that know me know that I'm a hybrid guy through and through and I struggle mightily hitting a FW off the deck.

What I saw shocked me. Shot after shot I was picking this 3W clean off the deck in the 15* setting. My typical struggle with the 3W is getting a case of the chunks due to my steep swing but with this one I was getting either picking the ball cleanly or getting through the turf a bit better to still make respectable contact.

I turned around to the fitter several times and continued to say: I don't do this, I can't hit a 3W off the deck. This is obviously now the first time in a long time that I have a real desire to put a 3W in the bag.

My only issue was getting it up a bit higher than what the fitter liked but it wasn't terrible. Fitter adjusted me to 14* but things went south when that happened. I'm excited for late January as there is a great chance I make a purchase very quickly.....

I think that first picture you have up there in the FW section is the flex. Am I wrong? Looks like there is an adapter on there.

DSC_0034-L.jpg

Anyways I am not as excited about these as with the driver. I think the they look too bulky and just not pleasing to the eye at address for me. The hybrids look massive and with a .335 hosel that's a real bummer. Maybe when there is some more pictures up I'll change my mind but nothing is jumping out at me right now.

Last edited:
Must say the Speed 3w and 5w interest me. Shaft that I enjoy, looks great, and a good price.

I think that first picture you have up there in the FW section is the flex. Am I wrong? Looks like there is an adapter on there.

DSC_0034-L.jpg

Anyways I am not as excited about these as with the driver. I think the they look too bulky and just not pleasing to the eye at address for me. The hybrids look massive and with a .335 hosel that's a real bummer. Maybe when there is some more pictures up I'll change my mind but nothing is jumping out at me right now.

You are correct, that is the Flex. Jman can correct me if I'm wrong but the Speed fairways and hybrids are not adjustable. I know the Speed hybrid isn't as I had it in the bag for the practice round on Thursday (and liked it pretty well on that note).

Cookie pounded three wood, OFF THE DECK. High and long. I laughed like a little schoolgirl when it happened repeatedly.

Thanks for the information. Out of the Covert line, I actually liked the hybrid the best. It was the one that really surprised me.

The bonded clubs here interest me the most, though I wish they offered more lofts in the FWs.

Jman's early thoughts have me absolutely hooked on the idea of trying these out. I'm not bothered by the green at all. Even less bothered if it leads to greater accuracy.

The .335 tips on the hybrids have me all kinds of intrigued. That's one thing that can improve right now, with the crazy size of adapters in comparison to the heads they sit in -- But it's also a struggle for golfers who like to play steel in their hybrids -- A tough mix, but I'd go for the .335 all day long.

Jman's early thoughts have me absolutely hooked on the idea of trying these out. I'm not bothered by the green at all. Even less bothered if it leads to greater accuracy.

The .335 tips on the hybrids have me all kinds of intrigued. That's one thing that can improve right now, with the crazy size of adapters in comparison to the heads they sit in -- But it's also a struggle for golfers who like to play steel in their hybrids -- A tough mix, but I'd go for the .335 all day long.

I'll be honest, tipping a fairway shaft as much as they talked about for these kinda freaks me out. I don't get the .335 thing, but luckily I liked the stock shaft a lot, and the trackman backed it up for me.

Back