Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

I've uncovered the secret to hitting a 3 iron from the rough. Years of testing have come down to this.

Euro Skinny Jeans FTW!!!!!!!

Love it Paulo

Oh wow. I'm really just speechless right now.

Paulo - I could have used that advice a few weeks back! :D

Now, where do I get these euro skinny jeans you speak of for my chicken legs?

On another good note (for me anyways), back spasms are finally going away with the help of a TENS unit that I purchased so I will be back on the range by Monday or Tuesday barring anything funny and playing again next week after work. Can't wait as I have some stuff to test after some of the questions that have appeared in here over the last few days!

thats funny paulo... i want your accent lmao

Skinny Jeans ftw! Great video Paulo and nice shot!

I've uncovered the secret to hitting a 3 iron from the rough. Years of testing have come down to this.

Thanks guys. I just hope nobody noticed where that shot actually went! :D

The skinnys are the missing link for anyone struggling with their 3 iron.

Glad to hear you're getting back out there mcook, but take it easy man! You'll be raring to go.

Played again today, really concentrated with the irons more than normal as I felt that I had let myself down with them the last time out.

The longest iron I hit today was a 5i, I used that on a 200 yard par 3. This was probably the best strike I have had with the Pocket cavity 5i since I have owned them. I hit a nice high draw (something I seem to be doing more and more with these irons). Sadly for me I was set up to play a fade so I ended up in the green side bunker. Have to admit that the pocket cavity does make a slightly different sound than the other irons in the set. I don't dislike the sound it's just different.

Hit a few 7i's that flew straight and had a really nice flight to them. Best of the bunch was from 194 out in the semi rough on a downhill lie. I ended up pin high right but managed to up and down for my birdie.

For me the set really comes to life when the blades are used, I just love these irons. The feeling of a well struck shot with them is second to non. I also appear to be gaining distance with the blades. I hit a 9i 137 today and an 8i 148 into a strong wind. My previous blades definitely didn't go that far for me so I am really happy with these.

One thing I am not happy with though is the grips. They are just too thin for me (my fault for not getting them regripped when buying them). I plan on putting Black Widow Widow Makers on them with 3 layers of tape (to get them to midsize) once I receive them.

Other than that I can't fault them in any way. Next time out is Monday evening and I am already looking forward to hitting these

Played again today, really concentrated with the irons more than normal as I felt that I had let myself down with them the last time out.

The longest iron I hit today was a 5i, I used that on a 200 yard par 3. This was probably the best strike I have had with the Pocket cavity 5i since I have owned them. I hit a nice high draw (something I seem to be doing more and more with these irons). Sadly for me I was set up to play a fade so I ended up in the green side bunker. Have to admit that the pocket cavity does make a slightly different sound than the other irons in the set. I don't dislike the sound it's just different.

Hit a few 7i's that flew straight and had a really nice flight to them. Best of the bunch was from 194 out in the semi rough on a downhill lie. I ended up pin high right but managed to up and down for my birdie.

For me the set really comes to life when the blades are used, I just love these irons. The feeling of a well struck shot with them is second to non. I also appear to be gaining distance with the blades. I hit a 9i 137 today and an 8i 148 into a strong wind. My previous blades definitely didn't go that far for me so I am really happy with these.

One thing I am not happy with though is the grips. They are just too thin for me (my fault for not getting them regripped when buying them). I plan on putting Black Widow Widow Makers on them with 3 layers of tape (to get them to midsize) once I receive them.

Other than that I can't fault them in any way. Next time out is Monday evening and I am already looking forward to hitting these

Super Skimmed here, don't know if you have been asked this yet. Do you think that given the option you would have gone with a complete blade set? Or are you happy with the progressive combo set? Has your opinion changed after a few weeks? I know you have said multiple times that they feel alittle different throughout. I'd be ok with that personally as along as they performed. Thoughts?

Super Skimmed here, don't know if you have been asked this yet. Do you think that given the option you would have gone with a complete blade set? Or are you happy with the progressive combo set? Has your opinion changed after a few weeks? I know you have said multiple times that they feel alittle different throughout. I'd be ok with that personally as along as they performed. Thoughts?
I have been wondering the same thing. From the posts I have read, the blades sound fairly easy to hit.

I have been wondering the same thing. From the posts I have read, the blades sound fairly easy to hit.

Exactly - it seems everyone is raving about the blades in the set. Feel, control, distance - everything.

Exactly - it seems everyone is raving about the blades in the set. Feel, control, distance - everything.
Yeah. It has gotten me very interested in them.

I bought my irons myself after the feedback from the selected testers. There is no way am I good enough anymore to game a full set of blades. I am extremely happy with the progressive nature of the set. So much so that I don't think I would change from this type of set makeup again.

Definitely, the blades are very easy to hit in my opinion. So much so that I have actually gained distance with them over the blades that were in my previous set

We discussed that 7 or 10 days ago. No one said a complete set but some of us would like to try the 7 iron in the blade (me included). LOVE hitting 8-PW.

I bought my irons myself after the feedback from the selected testers. There is no way am I good enough anymore to game a full set of blades. I am extremely happy with the progressive nature of the set. So much so that I don't think I would change from this type of set makeup again.

I was actually wondering about this. You're handicap lower than mine, mind you, but was wondering how the blades affected someone with a double digit handicap.

I was looking at these the other day at Golf Town and that was the first thought to cross my mind, so thanks for the feedback Mike.

We discussed that 7 or 10 days ago. No one said a complete set but some of us would like to try the 7 iron in the blade (me included). LOVE hitting 8-PW.

Thanks for the quick reply! That is interesting. So blades 7-pw. Everything else as is though?

I was actually wondering about this. You're handicap lower than mine, mind you, but was wondering how the blades affected someone with a double digit handicap.

I was looking at these the other day at Golf Town and that was the first thought to cross my mind, so thanks for the feedback Mike.

When I was a teenager (many years ago) I used to play a full blade set but I would not even consider doing that now

To be honest I don't see any problems with player with a high, mid or low handicap being able to game these irons. I will say though that as others have said the more you focus on each shot the better you seem to hit them.

All the irons are very easy to hit in my opinion. The blades are the clubs that ooze confidence for me though even though there are supposed to be the hardest style of clubs to hit.

Give these a try, I guarantee you won't be disappointed

Thanks for the quick reply! That is interesting. So blades 7-pw. Everything else as is though?

I personally would do that if I was able, it's not that I don't like the split cavity 7i, I just can't help but wonder what a blade 7i would feel like in these

They don't have a downside really. When one is swinging a 8 through PW you're coming in so steep to the ball that a lot of mishiting a blade is taken out. I'd say these also have a bigger sweet spot then other blades out there with a very zippy face.

The reason I really like them is
A: They look like my wedges and hitting a wedge at a target 160 out is a pretty cool feeling. Sort of like how someone feels more confident with a strong lofted 7 vs a standard loft, I feel more confident in a wedge.

B: When I miss a tee shot it's generally in the rough and getting the ball out of the rough and place it where you want is dead simple with these. Being 250 out in the rough with 150 left to go on a par 4 now means I don't have to chip out or lay up or take more club then usual and risk blasting it over. It means using the same iron with mostly the same swing and getting the same results.

They don't have a downside really. When one is swinging a 8 through PW you're coming in so steep to the ball that a lot of mishiting a blade is taken out. I'd say these also have a bigger sweet spot then other blades out there with a very zippy face.

The reason I really like them is
A: They look like my wedges and hitting a wedge at a target 160 out is a pretty cool feeling. Sort of like how someone feels more confident with a strong lofted 7 vs a standard loft, I feel more confident in a wedge.

B: When I miss a tee shot it's generally in the rough and getting the ball out of the rough and place it where you want is dead simple with these. Being 250 out in the rough with 150 left to go on a par 4 now means I don't have to chip out or lay up or take more club then usual and risk blasting it over. It means using the same iron with mostly the same swing and getting the same results.
Do you find the turf interaction is better with the blades as opposed to a GI iron? I have never hit blades on grass.

Do you find the turf interaction is better with the blades as opposed to a GI iron? I have never hit blades on grass.

I personally do yes, I tend to not take divots with GI irons but take nice shallow divots with the blades in these. The turf interaction is great

I personally do yes, I tend to not take divots with GI irons but take nice shallow divots with the blades in these. The turf interaction is great
Ok, Thanks.

Yes, I do as well. I came from GE irons, but have hit many GI as well and I can confidently say that these have the best turf interaction of any clubs I've ever hit. I am uploading my videos right now, one of which shows turf interaction, I think you'll enjoy it.

Back